Sci-Fi GeekOut This Friday Night (USA)

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
season premieres of SG-1, SG Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica. me, i can't seem to get into SG-1 or Atlantis, but Battlestar rocks.

so who else is excited?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 158
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Huge BSG fan, here.

For those who like spoilers, Ron Moore's podcast is up on iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 158
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    I'm excited! 8)

SG1 and SGA are fairly meh for me too and BSG is what I make time for. However, Ben Browder (John from Farscape) is making his debut as a series regular on SG1, so I'll probably tune in for that.

Only wish SCIFI was an HDTV channel. I'm almost at the breaking point with Time Warner - analog channels are grainy, and digital channels I want to see are "will be avialble momentarily" way to often. Argh. And the SCI-FI channel is one of the grainier analog channels.
  • Reply 3 of 158
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    SG Atlantis... meh. I'll keep watching it, it's passably interesting and has some potential perhaps.

SG-1 I've been a fan of since the beginning. I'm curious to see where the writers are going to go with this new season, since the show could be considered pretty neatly wrapped up at the end of the last season. The main driving story arc has reached its conclusion, so where they'll go next is hard to see.

BSG is what I'm most excited about now. Did Adama survive? (Of course! The can't kill off Edward James Olmos! ) Is he going to be crippled now? Did Boomer do exactly what she was programmed to do (only injure Adama), or did she waver by not shooting to definitively kill?

(And please... no spoilers. I'd rather watch the show to get the answers, thank you. )

On top of all this sci-fi, there's a new season of Monk. I don't watch that much TV, but for some reason half of what I do watch is all piled up on Friday night. Thank the Lords of Kobol for TiVo.
  • Reply 4 of 158
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    I'm excited!
  • Reply 5 of 158
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Given that Ben Browder and Claudia Black will be in this season... well, let's just say I hope they don't taint my fond memories of Farscape.
  • Reply 6 of 158
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Season premieres? In mid-July?

No such plans here in Canada. Not that I've heard anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 158
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Funny, but I just saw a BSG episode a few days ago (in HD) for the first time and couldn't understand what the heck was going on. Graphics were cool though. I'm sure it was a repeat since I don't have cable. I need to watch the premiers...
  • Reply 8 of 158
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Funny, but I just saw a BSG episode a few days ago (in HD) for the first time and couldn't understand what the heck was going on. Graphics were cool though. I'm sure it was a repeat since I don't have cable. I need to watch the premiers...

NOOOO!!! you must watch the BSG Pilot DVD and then BSG Season 1 first !!!!!! DO NOT watch season 2 without watching those first!!!

you'll know how to get those episodes

remember - pilot DVD FIRST, then episodes 1-13 of season 1.

FUCK the MPAA. FUCK the tv industry and their outdated bullshit ass distribution system for tv shows.

I am glad the HD episode attracted your attention, but you MUST watch the episodes in sequence for the real BSG experience.
  • Reply 9 of 158
    OK OK OK!

Easy now... Breathe...

Dummy me. I didn't even know about any DVD.
  • Reply 10 of 158
    Sunilraman +++

SG 1 report:

I?m having a hard time separating Browder and Black from Farscape? They had great chemistry on that show. On THAT show. Too much happy, happy. I?ll give it a chance.

SG Atlantis report:

Hmm, OK, not bad. Maybe there is hope for this show. I?ll give it a chance.

BSG report:

Frakken AWESOME! ?nuff said?
  • Reply 11 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Sunilraman +++

SG 1 report:

I?m having a hard time separating Browder and Black from Farscape? They had great chemistry on that show. On THAT show. Too much happy, happy. I?ll give it a chance.

SG Atlantis report:

Hmm, OK, not bad. Maybe there is hope for this show. I?ll give it a chance.

BSG report:

Frakken AWESOME! ?nuff said?

sweet. thank the lords of kobol, bitTorrent is at work downloading atlantis and BSG as we speak. Frack the MPAA. they can kiss my shiny brown butt
  • Reply 12 of 158
    I'm helping you out on that torrent file. I'm getting it, too. And yes, frack the MPAA. If they didn't want it to be recorded, it wouldn't be on cable.
  • Reply 13 of 158
    This old man has a school boy crush on Grace Park... Mmm.
  • Reply 14 of 158
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Of all the nights in the year for the cable service to go out in my area!

Caught end of SG1 and about the first 5 minutes of Atlantis, stat-icky but watch-able, then it goes completely out for the rest of the night! Grrrr!
  • Reply 15 of 158
    UH... GUYS? Regarding the pilot episode of Battlestar Galactica:

WTF does this look like...

... and why hasn't anyone TOLD ME!

I AM HOOKED! (If just to see that elsewhere)
  • Reply 16 of 158
    hahah ah i never noticed that! its a frackin firefly ship! hahahhaha

heh Zoic Studios does effects for firefly and battlestar galactica.

i'd love for them to throw out some nice phat high-res renders of galactica, colonialOne, and stuff.

i wanna see firefly movie NOW! LIKE TODAY!! heh got to wait a bit... i guess
  • Reply 17 of 158
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    BSG is just freakin' awesome. When I was a kid I watched the disco version so I was intrigued when they redid the story last year. Way darker and suspenseful. The Cylons are evil, & cool at the same time.

I still can't believe they didn't send a security detail to where the Cylon ship crashed into Galactica on the season starter episode. Live & learn I guess.
  • Reply 18 of 158
    Quote:

I still can't believe they didn't send a security detail to where the Cylon ship crashed

Giv'em a chance man... That bay has decompressed so they can't just rush in there.

I love the show (and G. Park) but like any TV SciFi, it's easy to pick at the inconsistantsies. Just like PB points out above and the fact that Boomer (umm) wasn't "outed" by the Chief after the tribunal went south. By the way, the Sarg was only doing her job on that episode...
  • Reply 19 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Giv'em a chance man... That bay has decompressed so they can't just rush in there.

I love the show (and G. Park) but like any TV SciFi, it's easy to pick at the inconsistantsies. Just like PB points out above and the fact that Boomer (umm) wasn't "outed" by the Chief after the tribunal went south. By the way, the Sarg was only doing her job on that episode...

yeah i suppose if one deconstructs the bits BSG doesn't quite hold up, because i've often caught myself like a day after watching an episode going... "wait a minute...."

but that's because you're caught up in the whole human drama - fear/strength OMFG cylons to the left and right - emotion, its only later that your rational brain starts to kick in. by then it's too late cause you've already had tons of fun watching that episode

i'll just take it as it comes, i place it as a much more adult and edgier kind of babylon5 or deepspace9

epsiode 2 TONITE..!

• Reply 20 of 158
    Did I miss something??? Is Tigh's wife a Cylon?