Network help....is it the wireless card?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, I just got cable internet and trying connect my G4 to the network wirelessly through a Linksys WRT54G router (802.11g). I have a generic PCI wireless codel, the model is a ZyAIR G-302. Set the network to "Using DHCP" and still not connected. Is this card not compatible with OS X? I'm runnin 10.2.8. Are there drivers I need?

Please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    It could be any number of things:
    • Incompatiable card

• Wireless basestation is configured in a secure manner.

• Basestation is not configured for DHCP.

Can you see the network name? Can you connect with another machine?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    how do i connect with the other machine?

the pci 802.11g card is seen by the machine

the ethernet address and subnet mask look correct. do i need somethin for the DNS servers or dhcp client ID ???

i didnt do the security encryption with the router
  • Reply 3 of 11
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Have you found the little Airport thingie on the right hand side of the menu bar? The one that lets you choose what network you would like to join? Since there can be multiple around (unlike ethernet), and they can change at the drop of a dime, more UI is necessary than what you describe.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    theres no airport icon up there

my network panel looks exactly like this but a dif ethernet address

• Reply 5 of 11
    a) You aren't listening... You didn't pay any attention to the fact you will need something in the menu bar to choose the network. If you don't have any UI for this, YOU CAN'T USE WIFI.

b) It does not matter what you have the "built in ethernet" set to... you are not using that port.

c) If a port describing your card has not appeared then you can't use it

d) you don't have drivers for this card (since none exist), and there is no such thing as generic drivers for WiFi, not on MacOS, not on Windows, not on Linux/*BSD. Apple's drivers work with some other cards because they are the same chipsets. This is not the case here. I am not aware of any PCI models other than Sonet's and MacWireless's that have mac drivers. Notice, we are talking about PCI here, not PC card.

e) "codel"?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    i am listnin

why would i need the UI??? if i need it then no mac can use wifi (which isnt true)

obviously its PCI, i already mentioned that. what i was askin was whether i had a problem with the settings or the PCI wireless card. i guess the card doesnt work with mac and there arent drivers that will get it to. what 802.11g pci cards work for 10.2.8 then ????
  • Reply 7 of 11
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The ZyAIR G-302 does not offically support the mac. I could not locate any mac drivers. So just make sure that airport is set up like this.

In network/ make sure location is automatic.

Show Airport and make sure that you have join as Automatic.

check Show Airport status in menu bar. the Option button is where it will let you creat computer to computer networks.

Click AppleTalk and make sure Appletalk is active and configure is automatic

TCP/IP conffigure IP using DHCP

Hopefully everything will pop up and work. If not here are some that will work.

http://www.macwireless.com/html/prod...rds/11gPCI.php

http://www.welovemacs.com/g54pci.html

reg
  • Reply 8 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

i am listnin

why would i need the UI??? if i need it then no mac can use wifi (which isnt true)

obviously its PCI, i already mentioned that. what i was askin was whether i had a problem with the settings or the PCI wireless card. i guess the card doesnt work with mac and there arent drivers that will get it to. what 802.11g pci cards work for 10.2.8 then ????

Do you have Airport enabled in the Network Port Configurations of the Network Prefs?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ok i got a card that works with macs. airport is in the menu bar and i have it enabled in the network prefs. however, when i open up airport and try to join the network 'linksys' (which is a linsys wrt54g 802.11g router connected to PC) it says "an error occured while trying to join the selected airport network". i am runnin 10.2.8 and the airport is v3.1.1.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

ok i got a card that works with macs. airport is in the menu bar and i have it enabled in the network prefs. however, when i open up airport and try to join the network 'linksys' (which is a linsys wrt54g 802.11g router connected to PC) it says "an error occured while trying to join the selected airport network". i am runnin 10.2.8 and the airport is v3.1.1.

Is it WPA, WEP protected? If so, you need a password.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    got it workin somehow...dont know what i did......but my speeds seem slow. how much slower should wireless access be? my connection is supposed to be 4 mbps DL and im only downloadin at like 90 kb/s

errr nm it wont work again......weird it connected me for a while then stopped workin