How long should it take to burn a DVD?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a dual 2.7 with a PIONEER DVD-RW.

I ran out of Cd's and had to burn a 700kb file onto a 4.7 GB DVD-R.

The thing took 5 minutes to burn at 8X, can that be right? The entire time was practically "finishing" the disc. Is that how it is with DVD burners?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I have a dual 2.7 with a PIONEER DVD-RW.

I ran out of Cd's and had to burn a 700kb file onto a 4.7 GB DVD-R.

The thing took 5 minutes to burn at 8X, can that be right? The entire time was practically "finishing" the disc. Is that how it is with DVD burners?

hey i think that sounds about right for the lead-in and lead-out stuff for DVD-Rs.

what media are you using? is your media rated at 8X ?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Thanks, that's what I was wondering. Practically the whole time, it said "closing session". I'm using 8X Apple DVD-R. I've never burnt such a small amount on a DVD so never noticed this. Apple support didn't seem to think it should take that long either, but I want to make sure something is wrong before I lug the machine into service.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. Practically the whole time, it said "closing session". I'm using 8X Apple DVD-R. I've never burnt such a small amount on a DVD so never noticed this. Apple support didn't seem to think it should take that long either, but I want to make sure something is wrong before I lug the machine into service.

nah, don't freak yet.

do a 2gb or 3gb burn and just benchmark that. letus know what ya get...

apple 8x dvd-r is excellent media, IMHO.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Thanks - I should also mentio, the other reason I was a little nervous was because when I first got the machine and tried to burn a DVD, I got a "Device not found" or something of that sort. Tech support was closed for the holidays, so I googled it and found this:

http://www.patchburn.de/

Just kind of found it odd that Apple didn't ship drivers with their DVD burners.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Thanks - I should also mentio, the other reason I was a little nervous was because when I first got the machine and tried to burn a DVD, I got a "Device not found" or something of that sort. Tech support was closed for the holidays, so I googled it and found this:

http://www.patchburn.de/

Just kind of found it odd that Apple didn't ship drivers with their DVD burners.

patchburn is the bomb

not sure why you would need it though if you got a 2.7 dual

edit: as in, glad patchburn saved your ass. that was weird that there were no drivers for DVDburning that came with your brand spanking new mac!