How about OELD on the next gen shuffle's?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey, i was browsing around today and came across the new Sony flash-based walkmans:

They are quite impressive on paper: 1Gb + radio + 50 hours battery life (3 min charge = 3 hours playback) AND they have organic EL display technology on them which is soooo cool. Maybe Apple will do this with the next gen shuffles? Costs £159 here in the UK. On the downside, they use Sony's ATRAC compression only.

There's a thread here on AI that suggest a similar thing might happen with keyboards...

-indy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yes, the OLED display is pretty damn cool, even in person. but it bumps the price up a lot. i know apple played up the "life is random" bit, and they're probably not in much of a hurry if they are really selling 1M shuffles a month. but apple also always builds on its designs, just more slowly when people are already buyign them with the features present. which, you know froma business standpoint, makes sense. just sucks for us consumers.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Indecisive PC user

Hey, i was browsing around today and came across the new Sony flash-based walkmans:

They are quite impressive on paper: 1Gb + radio + 50 hours battery life (3 min charge = 3 hours playback) AND they have organic EL display technology on them which is soooo cool. Maybe Apple will do this with the next gen shuffles? Costs £159 here in the UK. On the downside, they use Sony's ATRAC compression only.

There's a thread here on AI that suggest a similar thing might happen with keyboards...

-indy

WHAT!?!?!?

NO!!

What the hell is going on with this board? I never suggested that Apple was going to use OLED in keyboards, OR ANYTHING ELSE for that matter.

Someone else started a thread on this exact same thing right after I posted about that keyboard mock-up! To understand my original point, you should go back ane re-read the thread that you linked to because I was quite clear. I was addressing someone's comment on tactile feedback on tablets.

And as far as Apple incorporating a screen into the iPod Shuffle, it aint gonna happen.

The Shuffle embodies the whole phenomenon that makes the iPods and the Shuffles so attractive. Let me try and explain this concept of randomness and having that ?soundtrack to your life?. People will have access to the music they like at any given time. But to go further, it is you who put the music on your iPod (the music that you bought because you liked it) and then the iPod will follow you around and magically provide the perfect music to your life without you ever needing to stop. The concept works, and it works perfectly, even if nobody is stopping to ask if the music is perfect because they themselves picked it and it works because the music is there and nothing used to be before.

The Shuffle takes advantage of this whole mysterious concept of the iPods some how knowing exactly what song to play. Apple has been accussed of actually not having a truely random feature but instead using some sort of smart algorithm to determine what song the listener wants to hear. These were, of course, ridiculous claims but Apple went with it. No screens for the iPod Shuffle. It doesn't need one, it already knows exactly what to play.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    And for the record it is OLED. Not OELD as you stated in your thread title.

The funny thing is that you then write out the wording of the acronym but you switch the words around there too.

Oh, and it's "diodes", not "displays".
  • Reply 4 of 9
    OK, take it easy - sorry didn't mean to upset you or anything. The thread i linked to was just interesting because of the keyboard image you posted showing what's possible with this sort of technology.

-indy

Quote:

Originally posted by rongold

WHAT!?!?!?

NO!!

What the hell is going on with this board? I never suggested that Apple was going to use OLED in keyboards, OR ANYTHING ELSE for that matter.

Someone else started a thread on this exact same thing right after I posted about that keyboard mock-up! To understand my original point, you should go back ane re-read the thread that you linked to because I was quite clear. I was addressing someone's comment on tactile feedback on tablets.

And as far as Apple incorporating a screen into the iPod Shuffle, it aint gonna happen.

The Shuffle embodies the whole phenomenon that makes the iPods and the Shuffles so attractive. Let me try and explain this concept of randomness and having that ?soundtrack to your life?. People will have access to the music they like at any given time. But to go further, it is you who put the music on your iPod (the music that you bought because you liked it) and then the iPod will follow you around and magically provide the perfect music to your life without you ever needing to stop. The concept works, and it works perfectly, even if nobody is stopping to ask if the music is perfect because they themselves picked it and it works because the music is there and nothing used to be before.

The Shuffle takes advantage of this whole mysterious concept of the iPods some how knowing exactly what song to play. Apple has been accussed of actually not having a truely random feature but instead using some sort of smart algorithm to determine what song the listener wants to hear. These were, of course, ridiculous claims but Apple went with it. No screens for the iPod Shuffle. It doesn't need one, it already knows exactly what to play.

• Reply 5 of 9
    From the Sony website i linked to:

"Bright and clear 3-lines Organic EL display and a shuttle switch for easy navigation" <emphasis added>

From CNET:

"OELD - short for organic electroluminescence display. Also written as OEL screen or OEL display. Same as OLED."

And as you point out (also from CNET):

"OLED - Short for organic light-emitting diode. A display device that operates by sandwiching carbon-based films between two charged electrodes. OLED displays are unlike LCDs in that they don't require backlighting; instead, they emit light themselves. OLED displays offer many advantages over LCDs, including less power consumption and brighter output, and are increasingly showing up in MP3 players and other portable devices."

So, either way, very nifty technology

-indy

Quote:

And for the record it is OLED. Not OELD as you stated in your thread title.

The funny thing is that you then write out the wording of the acronym but you switch the words around there too.

Oh, and it's "diodes", not "displays".

• Reply 6 of 9
    But anyway, on a more general point about Shuffle's possilby having a display...

I think there would be a market for a one. Sony, Creative and numerous other companies are having some sucess with flash players with a small display. I tried a shuffle for a while because i find the small size and ability to go running etc with it a really big selling point for me (i think i would be worried about going running or to the gym with a hard-drive based model like the mini \)

But i was put off by the 'random' track playback. And even though you can load the songs you want as a playlist so they play in a fixed order if you want, i still would have liked a display so i can see where i am etc.

Just my opinion.

-indy
  • Reply 7 of 9
    OK, here's a better link vis-a-vis a possible OELD / OLED keyboard:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=56056

-indy
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Are people on AppleInsider always idiots or is it just when I post about something and then read the follow-ups?

Indecisive PC user,

You have already referred me to that link in your first post. Why post it again? Besides they got it from my posting in a thread about 4 days back; AND the this thread you have addressed ? twice ? is misguided anyway. Apple will not be shipping an OLED keyboard.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Rongold, you seem to be 'trolling' for no apparant reason and you seem to be getting a bit obsessed with the whole keyboard thing - i only mentioned the keyboard in passing. Did you actually read the title of this thread? Or my first post? It's about the iPod shuffle, not a keyboard. OELD's are being used right now, in a very similar product to the shuffle, that was my original point, the original title of this thread - the shuffle, not a keyboard! Did i say Apple will be shipping OELD keyboards? No! I said: "There's a thread here on AI that suggest a similar thing might happen with keyboards"

And without getting too pedantic about your fault-picking: did you actually look at the second link i posted? It is to a different thread from the one in my first post, so i fail to see your point .

-indy

Quote:

Are people on AppleInsider always idiots or is it just when I post about something and then read the follow-ups?

Indecisive PC user,

You have already referred me to that link in your first post. Why post it again? Besides they got it from my posting in a thread about 4 days back; AND the this thread you have addressed ? twice ? is misguided anyway. Apple will not be shipping an OLED keyboard.