10.4.2 killed my AirPort connection

rokrok
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
okay, unfortunately i seem to have fallen victim to the same malady that is affecting other AirPort users following the 10.4.2 upgrade. i cannot access my wireless network anymore. and i was reinstallign my machine fromt eh ground up for some late spring-cleaning, so the ONLY thing on the machine is the stuff that comes with Tiger.

just to be sure, i reinstalled just from the Tiger DVD, 10.4.0, and it saw my network fine. then i downloaded (which i had an internet connection under 10.4.0) the 10.4.1 updater and ran that, and still everything fine. airport still at full strength. as soon as i run the 10.4.2 update (delta OR combo), totally dead. this is on a linksys wireless card in my tower, and a linksys wireless-g router which worked pretty well until now.

i have my linksys firmware updated to 3.03.6, which is the next-to-latest firmware. i am hesitant to update the firmware when things were running well, since linksys' support is so bad when it comes to documentation or over-the-phone troubleshooting for macs.

for now, ii am reverting everything back to 10.4.1. i have seen some people extract the 10.4.1 aiport kernels and apply them under 10.4.2, but that strikes me as lunacy. mix-and-match kernel extensions??? no thanks. but i guess for those who can't afford to bring their whole machine down and revert need to do something.

anyway, just curious if anyone else is having the same issue. of course, if you are, you're probably having a hard time getting online anyway. luckily, i've still got a panther machine kicking around, from which i am posting this. if anyone else has heard anything for a good fix that doesn't involving a franken-kernel, let me know.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    I upgraded my iBook G3 Dual USB to 10.4.2 that has an airport card and it works just the same as always. I have included a picture here as well. I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and then an Aiport Card (802.11b) in my iBook and everything is great.

• Reply 2 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member

well, i wonder what's so special about my setup that it decides to go all screwball on me. could be the card, but it's worked fine all the time until now, and airport/wireless cards are pretty easy. do you know which firmware you have running on your router? also, do you have any security settings enabled on your network (WEP, WPA, etc.)? did you, at any point, restart the router after you upgraded?

thanks...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

do you know which firmware you have running on your router?

My Linksys WRT54G router firmware is Version: v3.03.

Quote:

also, do you have any security settings enabled on your network (WEP, WPA, etc.)?

I am running 128-Bit WEP encryption and MAC Address filtering.

Quote:

did you, at any point, restart the router after you upgraded?

I did not. I was thinking of selling my laptop so I installed 10.4 on there and starued to use it again, and remembered how much I liked it (even though the battery is dead) and I upgraded it to 10.4.2 because I did my G5 at the same time. So all I did was run software update and restart. It works just as good as ever.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    hmmm ....

I'm using all Apple (Airport Express and Airport Extreme card) and .4.2 works flawless ...

maybe a problem with the driver for wour linksys card ???
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

hmmm ....

I'm using all Apple (Airport Express and Airport Extreme card) and .4.2 works flawless ...

maybe a problem with the driver for wour linksys card ???

hmmm, well i hadn't considered that. of course, last night when i wanted to check it out, the linksys download site was down... (brief edit: the drivers for the card are supposedly unnecessary under os x, since it's just a standard broadcom chip, to my recollection...). i guess i can upgrade firmware on the router, but if it's working essentially for someone else, i don'tthink that's the key.

phooey... i wish i knew more about this sort of stuff than i do.

p.s. i do want to point out that, while i saved a lot on the initial purchase of the linksys router over the airport base station, there are times i really wish i would have just gone all-apple.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    brief follow-up:

seems I'm not alone in my Aiport woes...

• Reply 7 of 14
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    I had the same issue on only one of the four macs on my wireless netowrk. After reinstalls, restarts, and reconfiguring, I was about to give up and revert to 10.4.1.

What ended up working for me is just turning on Interference Robustness. As stupid as it sounds, it did the trick (fyi there is no interference in our house-- I was able to use my laptop without interference robustness side by side without an issue).

Try that.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by AWAL

I had the same issue on only one of the four macs on my wireless netowrk. After reinstalls, restarts, and reconfiguring, I was about to give up and revert to 10.4.1.

What ended up working for me is just turning on Interference Robustness. As stupid as it sounds, it did the trick (fyi there is no interference in our house-- I was able to use my laptop without interference robustness side by side without an issue).

Try that.

thanks. i'm going to try a few basic things when i get home (i have to tread lightly... if i mess up internet access, my wife will have my head on a pike by sunrise). you know, reset the router. restart it. (maybe) update its firmware. i'm almost certain it has something to do with security settings that apple has changed, and my linksys network is notoriously bad at certain types of security settings (mostly my range expander, which linksys shouldn't have released, and i shouldn't have bought; it dies often, and they built it with absolutely no ports on it, so once you hose the unit, you better start praying the reset button will fix everything, or else you have a $100 useless piece of plastci on your hands).
  • Reply 9 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I had problems with AirPort Extreme under Tiger where machines wouldn't autoconnect to my preferred network, but that was fixed in 10.4.2. I was hesitant about installing the latest AirPort update, but I didn't encounter any new problems with it.

I use WPA and enable backwards compatibly with 802.11 b, in addition to 802.11 g. I run a closed, password protected network without MAC address limits.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I had problems with AirPort Extreme under Tiger where machines wouldn't autoconnect to my preferred network, but that was fixed in 10.4.2. I was hesitant about installing the latest AirPort update, but I didn't encounter any new problems with it.

I use WPA and enable backwards compatibly with 802.11 b, in addition to 802.11 g. I run a closed, password protected network without MAC address limits.

quick question: when you say "airport extreme," are you actually using an apple-branded base station, or just a wireless-g (aka "extreme") compatible 3rd party router and/or repeaters/extenders? i ask because the lion's share of worst trouble i have seen online consists of users who have a 3rd party router somewhere in their network. it doesn't always cause a problem, but i haven't seen a single all-apple-airport network have a problem.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

quick question: when you say "airport extreme," are you actually using an apple-branded base station, or just a wireless-g (aka "extreme") compatible 3rd party router and/or repeaters/extenders? i ask because the lion's share of worst trouble i have seen online consists of users who have a 3rd party router somewhere in their network. it doesn't always cause a problem, but i haven't seen a single all-apple-airport network have a problem.

I am using an Apple AirPort Extreme base station (UFO style w/ external Antenna connector) and am using the following Macs:

* 15" PowerBook G4 500 Titanium Rev A w/ AirPort (original)

* 12" iBook G3 900 (last G3 ibooks) w/ AirPort (original)

* PowerMac G5 2x2 Rev A w/ AirPort Extreme

* 15" PowerBook G4 1.67 Aluminum (brand new) w/AirPort Extreme

All the AirPort Extreme Macs wouldn't autoconnect under Tiger until the 10.4.2 update. The G5 worked fine under Panther. This was with the previous AirPort base station firmware as well as the version before that. I didn't test the latest firmware with Tiger other than 10.4.2 as it came out after the 10.4.2 update was released.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I am using an Apple AirPort Extreme base station (UFO style w/ external Antenna connector) and am using the following Macs:

* 15" PowerBook G4 500 Titanium Rev A w/ AirPort (original)

* 12" iBook G3 900 (last G3 ibooks) w/ AirPort (original)

* PowerMac G5 2x2 Rev A w/ AirPort Extreme

* 15" PowerBook G4 1.67 Aluminum (brand new) w/AirPort Extreme

All the AirPort Extreme Macs wouldn't autoconnect under Tiger until the 10.4.2 update. The G5 worked fine under Panther. This was with the previous AirPort base station firmware as well as the version before that. I didn't test the latest firmware with Tiger other than 10.4.2 as it came out after the 10.4.2 update was released.

well, damn. there goes my theory.i wish this was my laptop, because i would like to take it to coffee shops and such and see if i can connect at any of them. can't lug my dual g4 into a coffee shop as easily.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    as much as i hate to say it, i am downgrading back to panther until this thing blows over. my wife's machine sees everything just fine, and there's nothing in tiger that i need running right away (no, not even spotlight).
  • Reply 14 of 14
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i want to upgrade to tiger

ibook g4 10.3+

imac g3 slot 10.2+

airport/dual +airport cards (not extreme)

do you think i will have a problem???

what should i be careful about???