iTunes to sell music videos?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer recently held discussions with major recording companies, seeking to license music videos to sell through the company?s iTunes Music Store, according to a report in Monday?s edition of The Wall Street Journal.

The talks (subscription required) are rumored to be a prelude to a video-capable version of the iPod, which Apple has reportedly told some entertainment-industry executives to expect this fall.

According to the Journal, the music videos would likely cost $1.99 each on iTunes, with the possibility of a discount if consumers buy a music video and a song at the same time.

If successful, the initiative could create a significant new source of income for media companies that are rushing to distribute video content on the Internet to offset the growing magnitude of pirated media, the report says.

Companies involved in the talks reportedly include Warner Music Group, EMI Group, Vivendi Universal?s Universal Music Group and Sony BMG, a joint venture between Sony and Bertelsmann AG.

Following the release of its iTunes 4.8 digital music jukebox software in May, Apple began bundling a select batch of videos with some of the music albums available through its iTunes Music Store. Most of the videos were bundled with music tracks for an additional 99 cent premium.

Merrill Lynch analyst Steve Milunovich issued a report at the time saying support for digital music videos in iTunes could allow Apple to work with the music industry to deliver a profitable outlet for the clips.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Not bad. Some videos are good enough that I'd consider spending $1.99 on them.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Why are we going to have to pay to download advertising? Music videos are used to promote the song and artist. Its essentially an ad, not a product. I'll just keep watching MTV/VH1 at 3 AM. (Plus I can already watch music videos free on comcast on-demand).
  • Reply 3 of 43
    baranovichbaranovich Posts: 184member
    Okay, so using a video iPod for music videos seems really stupid. I mean who the hell cares? How about a video iPod that can play actual movies? Talk about a huge market!

Come on Apple/Jobsy wake up and smell the opportunity.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

Okay, so using a video iPod for music videos seems really stupid. I mean who the hell cares? How about a video iPod that can play actual movies? Talk about a huge market!

Actually, it is probably just a licensing thing. If this new "video" iPod can play music videos, why wouldn't it be able to play movies as well? The music industry is just a good first step to prove the licensing model, and who knows maybe there will be a way to transfer your existing DVD movies to this new iPod, just like you rip your existing music CD's.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    scavangerscavanger Posts: 286member
    You have to start somewhere. It's easier to convince a company that spends a lot of money on a music video, and receives no direct revenue from it, to sell it online. While yes, some companies do make a small amount of revenue from their DVD's with music videos on them, but that market isn't exactly huge. If Apple can prove it can protect video content successfully, it'll be easier to get a iMovie store. However I would suspect that downloadable movies would range in the 10 to 20 dollar range, which at that point, it's easier to get a DVD.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Exactly this whole thing has to be with baby steps.

The entertainment conglomerates are afraid of on line distribution of content, They want to be shown that it is a viable business model, so Apple has to gently nudge them into it.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Not much opportunity. Jobs has already stated that portable video just isn't a huge seller. How many people do you see walking around with portable DVD players or portable video players(they exist now..but no one really buys them in large numbers).

Videos are ok..if it's not worth a couple of bucks to you then save your money.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    I'd be interested to see what Apple would feel is an acceptable bitrate for the videos. I presume they would use H.264, but the question remains is would the videos be viewable in good quality on say a TV or a nice High Def Moniter.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

I'd be interested to see what Apple would feel is an acceptable bitrate for the videos. I presume they would use H.264, but the question remains is would the videos be viewable in good quality on say a TV or a nice High Def Moniter.

the proc needed for h.264 would be way too big for the iPod...It takes most of the CPU of my mini to play SD/DV in h.264...how the hell would an iPod pull it off...without becoming a laptop
  • Reply 10 of 43
    I dont' expect a video iPod. My comment was more directed to just a iMovie store in general. I agree that a video iPod is a waste, atleast at this time, mostly due to screen size and battery life.

The funny thing is, that my new computer I built for like 900 dollars, with only a 1.8ghz AMD 64 in it, can play all the Apple HD content flawlessly. This is using the quicktime preview for windows. I'm really pleased actually, even when using stuff done in other 264 codecs it works fine. Content for H.264 is in reach, and is probably alot more playable then people realize.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    ejpejpejpejp Posts: 17member
    Also, think about battery time. The iPod already has bad battery time if you have the backlight on the entire time; Image what it would be like watching an entire movie. (A 2 hour movie might entirely drain the battery)
  • Reply 12 of 43
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Not much opportunity. Jobs has already stated that portable video just isn't a huge seller. How many people do you see walking around with portable DVD players or portable video players(they exist now..but no one really buys them in large numbers).

Videos are ok..if it's not worth a couple of bucks to you then save your money.

SJ is probably right, but if the capability is already built in to the iPod (like they are now), you can bet they are just ensuring the longterm survival of their cash cow and making sure they don't get beat to the punch if video/movie sales become the next big thing.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    I think a video iPod would be very useful if you were able to download a video to it and then connect it to your TV to watch the video. I can't see a video iPod selling very well if you have to stop to look at the tiny screen until the video is over.

- Mark
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Makes total sense. I'm all for it. Bring it on.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    the new iPods will shoot a holographic image right in front of you so...

a) you don't have to stop to watch the video

b) you can see right thru your holographic britney spears

c) iPod will be your own personal R2D2

problem solved.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    I'm sure there will be a video iPod this autumn (fall / whatever..), but I don't expect this to become the primary purpose of the iPod soon (or indeed ever..). It will likely be a natural evolution of the iPod photo (which has now lost the 'photo' moniker).

As others have said, there just isn't a market for people wanting to watch a 2 hour film (movie / whatever..) on a 2inch screen. Music videos are the perfect length for such a device, and I'm sure it's no coincidence that iPhoto has just recently got the ability to hold video clips aswell.

What I'm more interested in is the news that Apple may become an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). This is where Apple needs to be. Mobile phones are the biggest untapped market as far as music content is concerned, and is certainly where Apple should be looking to make its money when iPod growth begins to level out.

I don't doubt that there will be a movie download service either - I just don't expect the iPod to have much to do with it.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Are you actually suggesting that Apple haven't thought of this, and yet you have?
  • Reply 18 of 43
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

the new iPods will shoot a holographic image right in front of you so...

a) you don't have to stop to watch the video

b) you can see right thru your holographic britney spears

c) iPod will be your own personal R2D2

problem solved.

Won't be happening, not from Apple! I know this for a fact, since I own the patent (pending) for "a portable device which can display talentless 'artists' in 3D holographic form while in motion"

Of course, once you apply the "Hot Coffee" mod to it, the clothing is optional. Just don't tell the parents!
  • Reply 19 of 43
    jiggzjiggz Posts: 31member
    First off, lots of people here seem to be writing off music videos as some sort of inferior art form. Have you seen any Chris Cunningham videos (if you haven?t, you should)?!?!? They are amazing. If I were to use a video feature on an ipod for anything it would be to watch/listen to music videos on my tv through the s-video connection on the ipod dock. Instead of making just a playlist for a party, you could make a music video playlist and have some awesome visual stimulation to match the music. That?d be pretty cool.

As for full-length movies, I would prefer to just watch the DVD. I am not going to watch movies on a 2? screen and I am not going to take up an ass-load of room on my ipod to watch movies at home when I can just put a DVD in. Also, if they made the screen big enough to pleasurably watch movies it would be too big to carry around. I have a 13? tv in my kitchen I don?t even like watching movies on.

I know this video thing is to compete with the PSP and although I have not held one, the PSP looks like a 2 lb. sack of crap. The only reason people would watch a movie on one is to say that they can? it is a novelty at best.

Honestly I could go without video capabilities period. If apple could stick an 80 GB HD in an ipod, slim them down and improve battery-life I would be happy.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Aside from the licensing stuff nobody will want to watch video on such an incredibly small screen. PSP's screen is much larger but still far too small to comfortably watch a movie on, and we've all seen the size of a PSP - makes iPod look absolutely tiny. Pocket size, it 'aint. (unless you have giant pockets)

The other problem is the hassle of getting your own content onto such devices. PSP makes you jump through a myriad of hoops to convert video to it's own curious format. Creative labs have a player coming which supports the more common internet standards of xVID and DIVX, but can you imagine Apple doing that? I'd be willing to bet it will play MOV and little else. Maybe AVI and MPEG if we're lucky.