Paris expo: speculation thread

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well there are threads for mini and ibooks, but they all don't indicate an imminent update. So Paris expo is the perfect time for updates.

According to http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ we will seePowerbook, iBook and mac mini. What we MIGHT see is updates for: xserve, Powermac.

What we won't see is intel macs, perhaps devkits but that is all. Apple has agreement with IBM and freescale till the end of 2007 for PPC's.

http://www.apple-expo.com/

What I think will happen: we will see updates for sure and for some productlines like ibook, powerbook and mini the last update till Intel machines, because those lines have an approximate 6 month update cycle. So untill march or april no more updates and then a special event could start the Intel switch and by June Intelmacs will begin shipping.

Powermac and xserve will get 970 mp and some new goods.

Imac is a big blank, they might get a 970mp but one or the will get single 970 up to 2.5.

And this will all happen between 1 month before and after Apple expo Paris.

Let the speculation begin.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 153
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldor

Let the speculation begin.

let the painful, gut-wrenching waiting begin

• Reply 2 of 153
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    New PowerBooks I reckon, nothing special, probably higher speed Freescale 7448s (up to 2GHz) and maybe improved graphics.

If the iBook isn't updated tomorrow, then it too will be updated there. Too late to be of any use for loads of people unfortunately. Same for the Mac Mini, probably at 1.5GHz and 1.7GHz depending on the heat output of the 7448 at those clock speeds.
  • Reply 3 of 153
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Is Jobs giving the keynote? Keep in mind that even if he is, he doesn't do speed bumps at these kinds of events any more. They're more likely to do it a week before or a week after than at the keynote itself.
  • Reply 4 of 153
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Just so everyone knows, the Mac Expo Paris runs from September 20th through the 24th. So it's a ways off.

What will be announced at the Paris Expo in terms of hardware ...with all of that supposed *great* PowerPC products in the pipeline... I don't know. I think it's all contigent on the supposed 'imminent' updates. I would like to think that they would update the Mac mini and the iBook soon, and not at Paris, then again, the situation is grim and Apple is Apple.

So my official prognostication:

? Faster iMac G5 with new height adjustable display design

? New widescreen 'high-definition' displays; better range of displays; brighter, faster response time, better viewing angles, and height-adjustable design. Best of all less expensive.

As far as the portables go, they need to be upgraded ASAP and cannot wait for Paris...otherwise if they aren't updated in the next few weeks, then they are a definite for Paris.
  • Reply 5 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Just so everyone knows, the Mac Expo Paris runs from September 20th through the 24th. So it's a ways off.

What will be announced at the Paris Expo in terms of hardware ...with all of that supposed *great* PowerPC products in the pipeline... I don't know. I think it's all contigent on the supposed 'imminent' updates. I would like to think that they would update the Mac mini and the iBook soon, and not at Paris, then again, the situation is grim and Apple is Apple.

So my official prognostication:

? Faster iMac G5 with new height adjustable display design

? New widescreen 'high-definition' displays; better range of displays; brighter, faster response time, better viewing angles, and height-adjustable design. Best of all less expensive.

As far as the portables go, they need to be upgraded ASAP and cannot wait for Paris...otherwise if they aren't updated in the next few weeks, then they are a definite for Paris.

all i will say is that if we don't see those 'great powerpc products' by apple Paris expo september, it would mean that apple is going ride off their iPod success and move strongly into consumer/convergence stuff and slowly make the Power line niche, until the Intel resurrection in mid to late 2006.
  • Reply 6 of 153
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    yeah, I guess.

Hopefully we are going to see something good by then. If not, I don't expect anything amazing until Intel kicks in.
  • Reply 7 of 153
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I strongly believe we'll see updated iBooks and Mac Minis either this week, or next. At Paris? I'm not sure what we'll see. Maybe something else for our homes, or video iPods. One would think they might want to announce some kind of big new consumer product at the Paris Expo, and a video iPod might fit the task.

Powerbooks? Well, I'm thinking around October, for those.
  • Reply 8 of 153
    gramscigramsci Posts: 35member
    The wait for my mac minis has gone from 4 days to 7-10 on the apple store(UK). Is this an indication that there may be an update in the next week?
  • Reply 9 of 153
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    My bet is that across the whole mac line up we are going to see small speed bumps and not too exciting upgrades for awhile.

Maybe a video Ipod, DVR, Airport Xpress and update larger and better Cinema Displays will be the new cool stuff coming up.

IMHO big changes on the computer line up will only happen when Intel comes in.
  • Reply 10 of 153
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

IMHO big changes on the computer line up will only happen when Intel comes in.

Yup. The most exciting thing will probably be dual-core on the PowerMacs. Otherwise, it's 100 Mhz bumps from here on out.
  • Reply 11 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Yup. The most exciting thing will probably be dual-core on the PowerMacs. Otherwise, it's 100 Mhz bumps from here on out.

well maybe every tuesday until macworld sf 2006 we'll write out a wishlist.

here's mine for this tuesday:

iBook 14" xtra brighte 1280x768 widescreen

5400rpm 80gb drive

512mb ram

G4 1.5ghz

airport extreme + bluetooth regular

ati mobility radeon 9600 64mb vram

2 fw400, 2usb 2.0, other ports as usual

$1299 still, with the edu-iPod mini deal for students still going on

$1099 price drop for the older model 14" iBook
  • Reply 12 of 153
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

well maybe every tuesday until macworld sf 2006 we'll write out a wishlist.

here's mine for this tuesday:

iBook 14" xtra brighte 1280x768 widescreen

5400rpm 80gb drive

512mb ram

G4 1.5ghz

airport extreme + bluetooth regular

ati mobility radeon 9600 64mb vram

2 fw400, 2usb 2.0, other ports as usual

$1299 still, with the edu-iPod mini deal for students still going on

$1099 price drop for the older model 14" iBook

Never, especially considering those are the specs for the powerbook.
  • Reply 13 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Never, especially considering those are the specs for the powerbook.

well, ati mobility 9600 in iBook, ati mobility 9700 in powerbook?

i know, i'm stretching it a bit...
  • Reply 14 of 153
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I am just going to say it. Just so it is said. There isn't much Apple could intro Mac wise at paris besides bumps. I mean what could these, " Great PowerPC products" be? A simple PPC 7448 and a 970MP? Sure the 970MP is a cool CPU, but not show worthy IMHO. Remember when Jobs said he couldn't make a powerbook G5, "yet." SO I think a new Powerbook G5 will show since the Powerbook won't probably go intel until 2007.
  • Reply 15 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

I am just going to say it. Just so it is said. There isn't much Apple could intro Mac wise at paris besides bumps. I mean what could these, " Great PowerPC products" be? A simple PPC 7448 and a 970MP? Sure the 970MP is a cool CPU, but not show worthy IMHO. Remember when Jobs said he couldn't make a powerbook G5, "yet." SO I think a new Powerbook G5 will show since the Powerbook won't probably go intel until 2007.

good point mate. but remember that a "great powerPC product" doesn't just rely on the CPU.

1gb or more RAM, a chunky SATA drive, phat ATi/nVidia, nice HDTV-720/1080p capable architecture, sexy svelte jonathan-ives signature design, could still make a 7447/ 7448/ 970whatever hold out and likely succeed till end of 2006...

not to mention display prices, flash ram, etc, all coming down fast. as much as a lot of us (me included) do not have much faith in that powerPC CPU pipeline, at least what you can build around that CPU is well, only limited by Apple's imagination at this stage \

edit:

i also don't put it past apple engineering to crack (hmm pun not intended) the heat issues, and pull a bit of a rabbit out of the hat to make the most of their 970fx's high-or-low-power-over-or-underclocked-whatever.

.................. \
  • Reply 16 of 153
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I have a feeling that there will be one "major" announcement, which will probably be related to the PowerMac as that is the one that needs a sales boost the most.

Displays might get an upgrade, especially if the PM gets upgraded as they go together in Apple's mind.

I don't see anything more than a bump in the iMac - maybe to 2.3 and believe that the form factor will remain the same.

Paris is also a good time to give the Mac mini a bit of a boost and maybe even the eMac a 19" CRT.

My money (up to 25¢) is on the PM.
  • Reply 17 of 153
    How about iPod 5G and/or iPod Video?
  • Reply 18 of 153
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Tablet... *runs*
  • Reply 19 of 153
    imantaimanta Posts: 29member
    I agree... not in Paris, but something like this is coming. I don't care what Steve said a few years back. Bring back that Newton... *starts running with Blackcat* - last one to Paris is a rotten egg :-)
  • Reply 20 of 153
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imanta

I agree... not in Paris, but something like this is coming. I don't care what Steve said a few years back. Bring back that Newton... *starts running with Blackcat* - last one to Paris is a rotten egg :-)

I'm nearer

But seriously, PocketPCs are getting really good, now if they ran a better OS...