15" LCD

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking for a 15" LCD to hook up to my iBook. Anyone have any suggestions to which I should purchase. I wish I could get an Apple Studio Display but since the iBooks don't have ADC I'm out of luck. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I'm looking for a 15" LCD to hook up to my iBook. Anyone have any suggestions to which I should purchase. I wish I could get an Apple Studio Display but since the iBooks don't have ADC I'm out of luck. Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_ve150.cfm"; target="_blank">http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_ve150.cfm</a>;

Viewsonics VE150 15" analog LCD display has a vga connector and upto 1024x768 and Mac compatible. I think I saw it at buycom.com for around $350. Hope that gives you a good start while shopping for an external display.

Bill.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Thanks for the link. I was checking that one out. I'll definately look into that one.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I like the NEC LCDs the best, or you might look into the Samsung 150MP since Samsung is the provider of Apple's LCD's.
  • Reply 4 of 17

<strong>Thanks for the link. I was checking that one out. I'll definately look into that one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're welcome EmAn. Let us know if you get one, brand/model/price and performance. I'd probably do something similar in the near future.

Bill.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by jhtrih:

<strong>I like the NEC LCDs the best, or you might look into the Samsung 150MP since Samsung is the provider of Apple's LCD's.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Besides ViewSonic I was looking at NEC too. I like the black one they have for under $400 (forgot the model). I was looking at Samsung for that reason too.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I just ordered the NEC black 15" LCD from Outpost <a href="http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3023649"; target="_blank">Outpost.com l Product Detail</a>. It was in my price range and I didn't want a beige LCD so I got the black. Thanks for all the advice guys.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 17
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Let us know what you think of it. I'm curious to know how good an analog LCD can be. The price is right, if the pic quality is good I may get one..........
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Ah, good choice and good price too. Hope it works as advertised. Can't wait to read your review on it!

:cool:
  • Reply 9 of 17
    It should come either tomorrow or Friday so I'll be sure that first thing I do is write a review.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    The LCD just came. So far it seems to be great. It's very bright, the picture quality is very good and no dead pixels. I'll write more a little later after I use it more.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    The one thing I've noticed is that I can't see Aqua's pinstripes and the pinstriped in IE. Is that because it's only mirroring the image from the iBook? It's not a big deal but I was wondering if anyone knew why.
  • Reply 12 of 17

<strong>The LCD just came. So far it seems to be great. It's very bright, the picture quality is very good and no dead pixels. I'll write more a little later after I use it more.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks EmAn, I have an old quirky SONY 17" CRT attached to a beige G3 and an analog 15" LCD would be a nice replacement. I hope you can post about its contrast ratio and color rendition across the screen.

Seems that its power supply is built in instead of an external brick, is that true? I also agree that this particular model being black is much nicer than the regular beige.

Thanks!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    No pinstripes could be a poor contrast issue. I don't think being a mirror image has to do anything with it.

Perhaps it is one of the tradeoffs of converting from digital to analog. I am no engineer anyway.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Bill M ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Bill M:

<strong>No pinstripes could be a poor contrast issue. I don't think being a mirror image has to do anything with it.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Absolutely right. I just lowered the contrast and sure enough there were the pinstripes.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Bill M:

<strong>

Seems that its power supply is built in instead of an external brick, is that true? I also agree that this particular model being black is much nicer than the regular beige.

Thanks!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, the power supply is internal. It's actually a pain in the ass to get to. You have to take off a piece of the back (simple though, the plastic just pops off). That's where the VGA port is too.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I'm curious as to how video and quicktime movies look on it. Is there a USB hub?.....................
  • Reply 17 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>I'm curious as to how video and quicktime movies look on it. Is there a USB hub?.....................</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, there's no USB Hub with the LCD. I rented The Fast and the Furious from Blockbuster today so I'll watch it either later or tomorrow and tell you how DVDs look. I'll check out a QuickTime movie later and tell you.