Safari-Slow Since 10.3.9?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Safari bounces up and down many times before it opens since I've updated to 10.3.9

It also has gotten very slow once it gets open.

Any ideas?

I know Apple would tell me to create a new user account. I have tried that and it does resolve the problem but I have so much stuff I would have to figure out how to get over to a new account.

I would have no idea how to go about doing that.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Football

Safari bounces up and down many times before it opens since I've updated to 10.3.9

It also has gotten very slow once it gets open.

Any ideas?

I know Apple would tell me to create a new user account. I have tried that and it does resolve the problem but I have so much stuff I would have to figure out how to get over to a new account.

I would have no idea how to go about doing that.

Any ideas?

Thank you

First try deleting the folder Icons in Safari's Library folder. Let's make a script, as you'll have to do this periodically.

Select this script text at the end of this post and choose Safari->Services->Script Editor->Make New AppleScript.

From the Script Editor, save the script as an application to the Desktop. Name it whatever you like - such as "Delete Safari Favicons".

Run the script by double-clicking it.

Restart Safari.

Select the 4 lines below:

try

\ttell application "Finder" to delete folder "Icons" of folder "Safari" of folder "Library" of home

on error -- do nothing if Icons folder doesn't exist

end try
  • Reply 2 of 6
    footballfootball Posts: 47member
    Thank you so much for your help.

When I tried to do the script it said "Expected function name, command name or function name but found ?error?.

I don't have any experience doing scripts and am no sure what I did wrong. I tried topy the last four lines you typed.

I did delete the folders you described and that did solve the start-up problem which is great!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    footballfootball Posts: 47member
    oops, I meant tried to "copy".

sorry for the spelling in the last post. I broke my hand the other day and am only typing with one hand.

I'll review better next time.

Thank you.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Football

Thank you so much for your help.

When I tried to do the script it said "Expected function name, command name or function name but found ?error?.

Yeah - I think you left off the first line which is the single word "Try".

Quote:

I don't have any experience doing scripts and am no sure what I did wrong. I tried topy the last four lines you typed.

See above. The first line of the script is the AppleScript command "Try".

Quote:

I did delete the folders you described and that did solve the start-up problem which is great!

Ah, that's great to hear. When you get the script working, you can also drag it into your Login Items list in System Preferences->Accounts and it will be run and delete that folder every time you log in. The only thing in that folder is the little icons ("favicons") that appear to the left of a URL in the address bar.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Umm, Will selecting 'Reset Safair' from the Safari manu do this too? But without the script?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Umm, Will selecting 'Reset Safair' from the Safari manu do this too? But without the script?

It says that it "Clears Cache", which probably clears the Icons folder but I am not about to test it because "Reset Safari" clears History, all cookies, all forms filled and passwords/userids, and other Autofill text.

You can try it and check the Users/YourAcct/Library/Safari/Icons folder before and after the reset.

The script is only four lines of code, and three of those are to keep it from throwing an error if the Icon folder is already deleted.