Thinksecret: "iBook Updte Any Day Now"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0507ibook.html

"July 19, 2005 - Reliable sources have confirmed that Apple's consumer laptop will receive a long overdue refresh very soon, possibly as early as later today."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

"possibly as early as later today."

• Reply 2 of 42
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0507ibook.html

"July 19, 2005 - Reliable sources have confirmed that Apple's consumer laptop will receive a long overdue refresh very soon, possibly as early as later today."

'Reliable Sources'? Maybe it's just me, but as soon as I see those two words with no actual source, I;m inclined to believe the exact opposite.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to see a 16:10 format iBook, and they will come, but probably with the Macintels, that way apple has a major selling point on their hands, not just a change in CPU to something more capable, which isn't even a selling point for some.

Just my $0.02AUD
  • Reply 3 of 42
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

'Reliable Sources'? Maybe it's just me, but as soon as I see those two words with no actual source, I;m inclined to believe the exact opposite.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to see a 16:10 format iBook, and they will come, but probably with the Macintels, that way apple has a major selling point on their hands, not just a change in CPU to something more capable, which isn't even a selling point for some.

Just my $0.02AUD

I think that Apple will try to make the Intel change 'invisible' to the end user - no big hubbub about new form factors and processors, just stuff about them being better for various reasons. So no reason there cannot be an update to the format now.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    Sunilraman, that is good news for you is suppose. Some new rumors about Ibook. You must be excited.

I think a faster CPU 1.47 or 1.5ghz, widescreen with better resolutions. More ram 512. Faster but not bigger HD. More ram for videocards. That's it. What I didn't mention is standard from 'old' ibooks.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    petertpetert Posts: 15member
    Waiting time ibooks Apple store finland just jumped to 7 days .. could it be?

edit: also UK, france, denmark have 7 days waiting time now. us still on same day...
  • Reply 6 of 42
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PeterT

Waiting time ibooks Apple store finland just jumped to 7 days .. could it be?

edit: also UK, france, denmark have 7 days waiting time now. us still on same day...

It has been like that at least three days now here.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Still same business day in the US Store..
  • Reply 8 of 42
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

Still same business day in the US Store..

Probably waiting for the last of the old lot to be sold off before launching the new ones, and the US store is the lucky recipient.

God, release the damned things for the rest of us please!
  • Reply 9 of 42
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldor

Sunilraman, that is good news for you is suppose. Some new rumors about Ibook. You must be excited.

I think a faster CPU 1.47 or 1.5ghz, widescreen with better resolutions. More ram 512. Faster but not bigger HD. More ram for videocards. That's it. What I didn't mention is standard from 'old' ibooks.

awww.. thanks for thinking of me mate

i just saw it mentioned on AppleNova, bounced over to ThinkSecret, threw up in disgust (is this the BEST THAT THINKSECRET CAN DO? jesus christ they've been sued into the dark shadows of craptitude... even the original DeepThroat wouldn't go to them about George Bush having a reall small di..... but i digress )

btw, i've given up. but not really. this whole iBook is making me do weird things like rip open my dad's iBook g4 933mhz and mod in a new hard disk (see signature below). it was not a pretty sight and i am amazed that i cobbled everything back together, and it works, although i have 3 screws left over my dad's iBook may not survive another mod. i'm staying away from it for now, the mac is just too preciousssss to my family now

this is such a tease, really ... *sigh*
  • Reply 10 of 42
    tchwojkotchwojko Posts: 139member
    Quote:

weird things like rip open my dad's iBook g4 933mhz and mod in a new hard disk

You too? I just recently put in a 5400rpm 40GB drive in my old clamshell 433MHz iBook.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tchwojko

You too? I just recently put in a 5400rpm 40GB drive in my old clamshell 433MHz iBook.

:thumbs: what brand? mine is a western digital scorpio 8mb cache. i was after seagate but all out of stock. (edit: and wd was cheaper than seagate)
  • Reply 12 of 42
    tchwojkotchwojko Posts: 139member
    Toshiba, 16MB, 12ms seek, and cheap.

I wasn't sure if the old drive was failing or if some other part of the hardware was going bad, so I didn't want to spend too much, but I wanted to spend enough so that I'd have something useful if it did work.

So far it's ok.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    ThinkSecret is quoting Digitimes now? The Apocalypse is drawing closer.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

ThinkSecret is quoting Digitimes now? The Apocalypse is drawing closer.

My guess is that he knows the whole story but to cover his hide from another onslaught from SJ, he is quoting other sources so he stays "clean".

If they release a 12" with super drive, I am going to be pissed! I mean, I will have to order a dual layer drive for my 12".
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Yeah, except Digitimes has a very poor track record, perhaps even worse than MacOSRumors if that's possible. So for ThinkSecret to be quoting them of all people is pretty bad. They haven't been the same since the lawsuit.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    We won't see any new hardware today, tomorrow and perhaps for the rest of the week since Apple just sold their 500,000,000th song on iTMS. Anything related to the iPod or iTunes takes precedence over all else so expect them to get some good mileage out of that banner on the home page. No way they will change it for something so insignificant as new computer hardware.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

We won't see any new hardware today, tomorrow and perhaps for the rest of the week since Apple just sold their 500,000,000th song on iTMS. Anything related to the iPod or iTunes takes precedence over all else so expect them to get some good mileage out of that banner on the home page. No way they will change it for something so insignificant as new computer hardware.

Your right. They would just put it below the fold into one of those rounded-off squares.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

On the contrary, I think they'd upgrade the form factor before switching processors to help drive sales. Some people would wait for the MacIntel boxes, but if the current gear is fresh I know I'd be less likely to wait.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

On the contrary, I think they'd upgrade the form factor before switching processors to help drive sales. Some people would wait for the MacIntel boxes, but if the current gear is fresh I know I'd be less likely to wait.

Me too, esp. if it is the 7448 G4 on a 200Mhz bus, but I suppose thats unlikely.....
  • Reply 20 of 42
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

Me too, esp. if it is the 7448 G4 on a 200Mhz bus, but I suppose thats unlikely.....

Definitely. No way that will be in iBook, when the Powerbooks are without.