Going to NYC next month

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hi

I'm a Mac fanatic user from Brazil going to New York City next month (august]. I'd like to receive tips of places to go. I'm a gadget and Mac lover.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Went last week for the first time!

Go for the three hour "Circle Line Cruise". It's $28 a ticket, but it's a great way of touring Manhattan. It travels around the island, up to the statue of Liberty and features a nice calm commentary. I went on the 1:30pm cruise, leaving pier 83, west 42nd street. Lots of nice photo opportunities.

Central Park is worth a visit, and they'res a nice posh-ish restaurant over a lake where some turtles swim around. I think it's called the 'Boat House'.

I didn't go to any gadgety bits, so I don't know about anywhere suitable.

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    itsamacitsamac Posts: 20member
    I had a 5 day break in NYC over Easter. I found the NY City pass to be of really good value. If you have time before your departure, buy it online and save waiting in the queues, especially at the Empire State Building.

You can find details at www.citypass.com. The pass will cost you $53 for 7 days but saves you both time (bypassing the queues) and money.

Take a trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. You do need to book ahead and you can find information at NPS Statue of Liberty - Plan Your Visit and ferry information at Circle Lines Statue Reservations Website. Take heed of the warning to arrive 2 - 3 hours beforehand. With the heightened security, you will need it and even for the earliest tours, there are large queues and potenial of missing your allocated tour.

Some free things to do:

- Visit one of the city's Apple stores

- Central Park

- Take a walk down 5th Avenue (there are some toy aka gadget stores around)

- Visit Times Square at night

- Toys R Us and Virgin Megastore at Times Square

- B&H on 9th Avenue if you are into camera. This is photographer heaven

- Chinatown and Little Italy

- State Library

For a cheap hotel, try the Red Roof on W32nd St. Its just down the street from Penn St station, and around the corner from the Empire State Building.

A good resource for any trip is Trip Advisor .

Hope that helps.

Paul
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Thanks!

Any tips about free wi-fi access? I know the Apple Store have free access.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Other places to visit: Grand Central, the Intrepid museum (it's a WW2 aircraft carrier...really cool), Ground Zero maybe?, Rockefeller Center and the Cathedral (right across the street from Rockefeller)

Go for a show on Broadway too if you can...those are really something.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I would love to see a broadway play sometime. First play I ever went to was phantom of the opera, seen it two other times since then. Good play.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Go check out the Intrepid as well. Its a pretty cool place to go and see at least once, plus you get a decent view of the city.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    What about Grenwich Village? The little nightclubs and restaurants rule.

Also there are world class museums and galleries in NYC. you can't miss
    • Guggenheim

• Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

Also SOHO (South of Houston) is very cool. Lots of galleries, restaurants, shops, etc.

I miss living in Manhattan...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Thanks for all suggestions!!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    other things you might try: see a yankee and/or met game (added benefit of visiting the Bronx and/or Queens). the other boroughs are often overlooked (New York City is made up of five 'boroughs': Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island). of course, hattan is the best.

on the upper east side of manhattan, along 2nd avenue, are a good number of bars/restaurants. similar for the lower east, but not just 2nd ave (which tends to be a cooler area, though a little less safe-feeling). st. mark's place makes for a pretty cool stroll for an evening (st. mark's is like the equivalent of like 8th or 7th street).

i'm not too knowledgeable about tourist things really, as i'm a native (and we dont really make trips out of seeing such things).
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    my suggestion is not to be anywhere near NYC on August 6th....
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

my suggestion is not to be anywhere near NYC on August 6th....

Why??

I'm traveling to NY 20th, August.