Scotty Beamed Up

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Quote:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- James Doohan, the burly chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise in the original "Star Trek" TV series and motion pictures who responded to the apocryphal command "Beam me up, Scotty," died early Wednesday. He was 85.

Link

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    To keep this thread alive because you didn't follow the Posting Guidelines, I'll say that I'm sad to see him go. He was the best dry comic relief the Star Trek movies had. Other characters/actors tried, but he actually pulled it off.

Kirk: "You asked for one week I gave you two. What happened?"

Scotty: "I think you gave me too much time, Captain."

Okay, bad example, but we'll miss you anyway James.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Last year I purchased the original series in those boxed sets and on them there are several interviews with Doohan. I knew he'd be the next one to go because he didn't look well. But it was interesting to hear him talk about the good old days and how many things he did on the show ( did you know he was the voice for the M5 computer? ). This is really sad now that there are only 2 left. It's kind of like seeing your childhood die and your own mortality. I will miss you very much Scotty and I'll always continue to watch you on that old show.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

To keep this thread alive because you didn't follow the Posting Guidelines, I'll say that I'm sad to see him go. He was the best dry comic relief the Star Trek movies had. Other characters/actors tried, but he actually pulled it off.

Kirk: "You asked for one week I gave you two. What happened?"

Scotty: "I think you gave me too much time, Captain."

Okay, bad example, but we'll miss you anyway James.

who are you, the posting nazi?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Posting Nazis are all over the place. I can't believe there are Posting Guidelines...

And I am very sad to see James Doohan go. Very sad.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [Aston Kutcher voice]

Don't make me stick mein kampf up your ASS!

[/Aston Kutcher voice]

From the Posting Guidelines:

Quote:

Do not post a link or quote an article while contributing little to nothing of your own.

Just trying to help you out, pal.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I will miss him. Scotty and is simple tool was able to repair everything on the enterprise. This alone, was a joke in itself.

And his ability to repair anything at the speed of the light, was also a good recurrent joke.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

... This is really sad now that there are only 2 left.

?

There have only been 2 main actors that have passed away on the original series so far... Sad to see him go, iirc he was in his 50's back then when the show was on the air. Even though the show was and still is panned by anyone and everyone, it is still one of my top 3 favorite TV shows. All of the later spin-offs were just blah.

Scotty at his best; having to explain to Captain Kirk that he got in a fight with the Klingons not after they insulted Kirk but after they insulted the Enterprise.

Scotty at his worst; in the 5th movie when he prattled on about knowing the ship like the back of his hand then walks around a corner and hits a low beam with his head and is knocked out... man that was so forced it was painful to watch.

RIP JD
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

[Aston Kutcher voice]

Don't make me stick mein kampf up your ASS!

[/Aston Kutcher voice]

From the Posting Guidelines:

Just trying to help you out, pal.

Why, what's going to happen to him?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Doohan lost part of a finger in the service, Canadian I think. He also was at D-Day, which is when I think it happened.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    His daughter was born in 2000 when he was 80. The pictures below are from last year.

That's her on his shoulder with his wife in the red dress.

You can see his missing finger above.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by opuscroakus

?

There have only been 2 main actors that have passed away on the original series so far... Sad to see him go, iirc he was in his 50's back then when the show was on the air. Even though the show was and still is panned by anyone and everyone, it is still one of my top 3 favorite TV shows. All of the later spin-offs were just blah.

Scotty at his best; having to explain to Captain Kirk that he got in a fight with the Klingons not after they insulted Kirk but after they insulted the Enterprise.

Scotty at his worst; in the 5th movie when he prattled on about knowing the ship like the back of his hand then walks around a corner and hits a low beam with his head and is knocked out... man that was so forced it was painful to watch.

RIP JD

Well there is Uhura, Chekov, and Sulu. However of the ones that were in the limelight during the series ( and had an episode devoted to them ) only Kirk, McCoy, Spock, and Scotty have that distinction. I'll miss any of them when they go.

• Reply 12 of 14
    I heard some sound clips on the radio today from the original series. They actually sounded great. I was surprised because in mind I've so long considered the show absolutely cheesy-great-but cheesy. Maybe its better if you just listen, the drama sounded so good.

RIP
  • Reply 13 of 14
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    still my favourite futuristic mac user...

Here's to ya, lad... glasses will be raised across the sector

• Reply 14 of 14
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I always loved the episode where he tried to drink the aliens from the Andromeda galaxy (they had that belt that turned people into dodecahedrons) under the table:

"What is it?"

"It's ... ... green"