Alain Bombard died

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I guess, very few here know who is Alain Bombard, but most of the sailors here should know his name.

He was the crazy guy who suceed to survive on a small boat, eating fish, salt walter and plancton in the ocean, for several days. He demonstrated, that when a ship is sinking you have a chance to survive.

He made a revolution. There is before and after Bombard : before you canno't survive, after you could.

BTW he was a weird guy, as a secretary of state in 1981 he was fired just 3 weeks after he took the job

When I was a kid, I went to one of his conference about ghost ship : he was this kind of strange guy who have the skill to make you listen with passion to his speech, dispite the fact at the end, you discovered that you learned nothing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

......When I was a kid, I went to one of his conference about ghost ship : he was this kind of strange guy who have the skill to make you listen with passion to his speech, dispite the fact at the end, you discovered that you learned nothing.

Sounds like my kind of guy.

But you're right, 'doc, I've never heard of him. Did his experience lead to any changes in how boats are equipped, or the teaching of new survival techniques, or was it more just kind of a "well, now we know it's at least possible to survive" kind of thing?

Also, I can't quite tell from your post, did he set out to do what he did deliberately, to prove a point, or did he just survive a ship going down?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Sounds like my kind of guy.

But you're right, 'doc, I've never heard of him. Did his experience lead to any changes in how boats are equipped, or the teaching of new survival techniques, or was it more just kind of a "well, now we know it's at least possible to survive" kind of thing?

Also, I can't quite tell from your post, did he set out to do what he did deliberately, to prove a point, or did he just survive a ship going down?

He did by purpose, and he really change the equipment, and teached survival techniques.

He was a medical doctor and a biologist. At the time everybody laughed at him when he tried his experiment.

For the equipment, there is a company with his name :

http://www.zodiac.fr/fr/bombard/radeaux/index.htm

Some info here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Bombard