damn, now apple's just playing with me!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
went to apple store and saw that my order was changed from "being assembled" to "partially shipped"!!! i got all excited till i remembered that i added office x to my order a couple of days ago and i'm sure that is what shipped, and that the iMac is still being put together somewhere in Asia....it did make me happy though for a few seconds...of course now i will have office x sitting at home for a week before i have a computer to put it on...just sitting there taunting me....g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>went to apple store and saw that my order was changed from "being assembled" to "partially shipped"!!! i got all excited till i remembered that i added office x to my order a couple of days ago and i'm sure that is what shipped, and that the iMac is still being put together somewhere in Asia....it did make me happy though for a few seconds...of course now i will have office x sitting at home for a week before i have a computer to put it on...just sitting there taunting me....g</strong>[/

QUOTE]

• Reply 2 of 29
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Oh that must really suck. I could imagine how happy I'd be. Then I'd be so pissed that I realized I didn't just order the iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Same here, when I saw the partially shipped icon I jumped for joy, until I figured out that it was for my Applecare protection plan
  • Reply 4 of 29
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I feel your pain. I got a firewire cable with my new iMac and it shipped a day after I ordered it. My iMac is still backordered to the 31st.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    well, the site doesn't tell me what was shipped and what wasn't (i have the new iMac and office v. X on order.....so maybe i'll try and delude myself into thinking that office x is yet to ship and that it is the new iMac that is shipping now....yeah, that's it, i'm sure it's the iMac and not the software that's on the way... .....ok, now is the time for thegelding to put down the crack pipe and slowly step away.....if i get the iMac before office x i'll eat a hat...and not a small hat or visor...i big texas sized cowboy hat..... g
  • Reply 6 of 29
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>I feel your pain. I got a firewire cable with my new iMac and it shipped a day after I ordered it. My iMac is still backordered to the 31st. </strong><hr></blockquote>

what's the firewire cable for?
  • Reply 7 of 29
    taqtaq Posts: 76member
    Although I can't speak for iMacSE I got a firewire cable to hook up my iBook to the iMac via target mode. I do this at work and it's great for transferring files. I also had it, my iSub and DVD-R discs shipped...but no iMac....oh the agony. I guess I'll live though....still counting the days.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by Taq:

<strong>Although I can't speak for iMacSE I got a firewire cable to hook up my iBook to the iMac via target mode. I do this at work and it's great for transferring files. I also had it, my iSub and DVD-R discs shipped...but no iMac....oh the agony. I guess I'll live though....still counting the days. </strong><hr></blockquote>

How does target mode work?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    [quote]Originally posted by spicoli:

<strong>

How does target mode work?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Connect two firewire equipped Macs with a firewire cable, start up the first one then start up the second one while holding the "T" key. The hard disk of the second will show up on the desktop of the first so you can copy files like it's a standard external hard disk.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

what's the firewire cable for?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Firewire Target Disk Mode. I have lot of files to transfer and my DVSE does not have a CD-RW.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    I guess I was right. Looks like we had the same thing in mind when we got the firewire cable iMacSE. Great MacMinds think alike
  • Reply 12 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>went to apple store and saw that my order was changed from "being assembled" to "partially shipped"!!! i got all excited till i remembered that i added office x to my order a couple of days ago and i'm sure that is what shipped, and that the iMac is still being put together somewhere in Asia....it did make me happy though for a few seconds...of course now i will have office x sitting at home for a week before i have a computer to put it on...just sitting there taunting me....g</strong><hr></blockquote>

Same exact thing happened to me. I ordered office and the new superdrive iMac. Got office already, unwrapped it, and thumbed through the "manual". Now it sits on my desk anxiously awaiting the arrival of my very first Mac. The waiting is killing me! I've been a long time PC user -- Hope I'm not disappointed
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Is this Target mode not only for iBooks but even for FW equipped iMacs?
  • Reply 14 of 29
    It'll work with firewire equipped iMacs. It'll basically work with any mac that came with a firewire plugbuilt into it. You can do it from tower to ibook or vice versa, and from imac to tower or ibook or vice versa. Really fast too.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    I could have used this the other day when I transferred 4.5GB of data to my powerbook, unfortunately I didn't have a 6-6cable only a 4-6 , and it was Sunday so I couldn't go buy one....
  • Reply 16 of 29
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    IIRC, there's an RFC describing IP over Firewire.

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Stoo ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 29
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Sorry for appearing quite slow but this target mode is new to me. Does this mean I can use this to transfer files from my old Rev B imac to my new one?
  • Reply 18 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by jimdad:

<strong>Sorry for appearing quite slow but this target mode is new to me. Does this mean I can use this to transfer files from my old Rev B imac to my new one?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You need firewire ports on both machines and I don't think your Rev B has them. When you connect two computers using Target Disk Mode one becomes an external hard drive and shows up on the other machines desktop as firewire drive.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by jimdad:

<strong>Sorry for appearing quite slow but this target mode is new to me. Does this mean I can use this to transfer files from my old Rev B imac to my new one?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Rev B as in the second 233 Mhz model? If you can find the hidden firewire port then go ahead but look for the port before you buy the cable

• Reply 20 of 29
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>

Rev B as in the second 233 Mhz model? If you can find the hidden firewire port then go ahead but look for the port before you buy the cable

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats not very nice

BTW if you was a F/W port, check out sonnet's Harmoni upgrade for the iMac 500MHz G3 and F/W.... NOW SHIPPING. Looking to get one soon...<a href="http://www.sonnettech.com/product/pricelist.html"; target="_blank">Link</a>