New Powerbooks and iBooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I would expect that these are due very soon. Probably at Paris Expo.

A while back a rumor site with a poor track record listed a manufacturer as being contracted to produce G5 based iBooks and Powerbooks. With the recent announcements of IBM low pwer 970 FX CPUs in conjunction with Thinksecret's announcement of new iBooks, I would think that indicators point to the (simultaneous) release of new Powerbooks AND new iBooks very soon.

The iBooks will probably have 1.4 GHZ G5s and the Powerbooks will probably have 1.6 - 1.8 GHZ (overclocked) CPUs.

The Powerbooks should also get sharper screens while the iBook finally goes wide.

Although history has taught me not to expect the logical with Apple, it just seems right...

We'll see.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    check sig.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

I would expect that these are due very soon. Probably at Paris Expo.

The paris expo is Sept 20-24. That's TWO months from now. Why wait so long for something that's already overdue? Apple already has shipping delays on the products that need the updates the most. I would expect updates to the Mac mini & iBooks no later than Wednesday, August 3rd.

If it's a major update that requires a press event, expect it to be announced sometime Friday or shortly thereafter.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

The iBooks will probably have 1.4 GHZ G5s and the Powerbooks will probably have 1.6 - 1.8 GHZ (overclocked) CPUs.

Probably not. There's another thread about that...

Putting G5's on iBooks/PowerBooks means a complete redesign of the mother board and the processing gain over G4's ( 7447 or 7448 ) is not clear.

I believe Apple will continue to use G4 in portables until they switch to Intel. Freescale's 7448 is the solution ( pin-to-pin compatible with previous G4s and it can be easily overclocked to 1.8 or 2.0 and still remains cooler than G5s... ).

This way the architecture stays 32-bit ( G4 and Intel's Yonah CPUs ) until a real Mobile 64-bit CPU comes around (Intel's Merom CPU ?).

But I believe Apple will use IBM's 970MP on the next revision of PowerMac's and maybe iMac (this depending on the price of the chips): PowerMac's will be Quads (Dual Dual Core) from 2.0 to 2.5, and iMac's will (hopefully) turn Dual 1.4 to 1.8... january-march 2006?

Anyway, we can dream, anything's possible...