100% PowerPC abandonment or only 50%?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    You guys are dreaming. A deal with Intel means you get what Intel sells, nothing more. There won't be any PPC in there, or DSP to sit unused. Forget Sony. Picture Steve Jobs as Lando in ESB, as he just finishes saying "I've made a deal that will let me keep Apple running."
  • Reply 22 of 26
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

You guys are dreaming. A deal with Intel means you get what Intel sells, nothing more. There won't be any PPC in there, or DSP to sit unused.

Indeed, as much as I like the idea of a CELL co-processor for specialized tasks, I don't think this will ever happen, in any form. Unless there is more in the Apple-Intel deal than the eye meets .
  • Reply 23 of 26
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

......Picture Steve Jobs as Lando in ESB, as he just finishes saying "I've made a deal that will let me keep Apple running.....

heh but Lando comes back in return of the jedi, pilots the millenium falcon and blows up death star 2
  • Reply 24 of 26
    nepy05nepy05 Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

Well, Cell is exclusively made for multimedia processing, with home theaters/video game systems, 3D and video rendering server farms, military and scientific supercalculators, etc.

Intel has plans for massively multicore asymmetric processors in the near future (2007 and so forth). "Massively" means 8 to 32 cores and more. "Asymmetric" means like in Cell, there will master cores and a lot of dedicated integrated coprocessors, sorta DSP. But contrary to Cell, they will be targeted for desktop and server markets.

This family of new multicore chips is codenamed Nehalem (nota: the Nehalem project, originally initiated to bring 10GHz+ Netburst P4 successor has been recently retargeted as a new and more efficient design of multicore Pentium-M derivative).

The first quadcore processor of this era will be Whitefield in 2007, beginning at 3 GHz. It will also be the first to bring an embedded memory controller with the high speed CSI bus (Common System Interface), competitor of HyperTransport. I think this very powerful chip is the one that Apple will use in the first Intel Power Mac.

In 2008, the second Nehalem generation Dunnington and Bloomfield (made with a 45 nm process) will have 4 to 32 cores. Intel calls this design "Cores-a-Plenty".

For the near future and beyond, see this English Babelfish translation of a French article from x86-secret :

- Dual Core: And after?

- Vision for 2015

The problem is not how many cores inside, i wonder many cores there will even have a chance to taste a single instruction. What software requires that power?

Since PPCs are designed for fp, they will still run better on graphics and science.

iMac and miniMac and ordinary PCs already have abundant power to handle office+ibrowser. As for office job, a good keyboard is the king, nice screen and a quiet machine are additions.

Play the game, go to IBM (Cell).

One thing PowerMac > IntelMac = MacTel > WinTel

will be on MacOX 12, code name Lightspeed (dream again).

There will be an item named 'Lightspeed'. Once clicked, it says:

Sucking ...

You Mac or PC will suck the power from millions of computers idling on the net-Internet.

And then reports:

Your computer is at 1.2 X Lightspeed.

If you don't like to suck in Virus, you know what the '>' mean.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

heh but Lando comes back in return of the jedi, pilots the millenium falcon and blows up death star 2

With the help of Wedge of course. Cause otherwise who would have taken out the power regulator on the north tower?
  • Reply 26 of 26
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nepy05

The problem is not how many cores inside, i wonder many cores there will even have a chance to taste a single instruction. What software requires that power?

Since PPCs are designed for fp, they will still run better on graphics and science.

iMac and miniMac and ordinary PCs already have abundant power to handle office+ibrowser. As for office job, a good keyboard is the king, nice screen and a quiet machine are additions.

Play the game, go to IBM (Cell).

One thing PowerMac > IntelMac = MacTel > WinTel

will be on MacOX 12, code name Lightspeed (dream again).

There will be an item named 'Lightspeed'. Once clicked, it says:

Sucking ...

You Mac or PC will suck the power from millions of computers idling on the net-Internet.

And then reports:

Your computer is at 1.2 X Lightspeed.

If you don't like to suck in Virus, you know what the '>' mean.

Hey MACChine is that you?