PA: Apple laptops

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi guys, I need a bit of purchasing advice!

I'm a graphic designer and I need to get a laptop to present visuals during client meetings and pitches.

I should imagine I'll be presenting the usual spread of visuals including websites, bespoke presentations, identities & branding and my portfolio.

I'm afraid I'm not up to speed with Apple's laptop offerings, but I do seem to have picked up the impression that the PowerBooks aren't exactly setting the world on fire at the moment. I'm not sure when the various families were last updated, and I have no clue when the next update might occur.

I'm not going to use the laptop to do any serious work - I'll most likely prepare the various presentations on my G5 before loading them on the laptop - so the various processor and memory specs aren't important to me.

At this point, the 14" iBook is the favourite. I've discounted the two 12"ers, and the 15" PowerBook doesn't appeal to me either. I am tempted by the 17" PowerBook, but it is very expensive and whilst the screen looks fantastic I'm not sure if it is worth the extra cash. I suspect that the 17" PowerBook would turns heads however, and that is never a bad thing when you are pitching to complete strangers!

Any thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    This will get you up to date with the updates : http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
  • Reply 2 of 9
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldor

This will get you up to date with the updates : http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Nice one.

That certainly sheds some light on the product cycles!

Thanks for that!

• Reply 3 of 9
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    just out of curiosity: why not the 15" pb?...kind of a leap from the 14" iBook to the 17" PB...

And no, none of Apple's laptops are "setting the world on fire" right now...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

just out of curiosity: why not the 15" pb?...kind of a leap from the 14" iBook to the 17" PB...

And no, none of Apple's laptops are "setting the world on fire" right now...

I'm not really interested in the PowerBook family full-stop. They specs don't really seem that good to me, and on paper they don't seem to offer good value for money.

I'm not looking to replace a desktop machine, so I'm not particularly bothered about processor speeds, SuperDrives or hard disk capacities. I have a kick-ass dual processor G5 for all the day to day work that I do, and as a result, whichever laptop I finally go for will merely function as a 'visual aid' during meetings. Taking this in to account, the only part of the spec. I'm really interested in is the screen.

So, with regards to the 15" PowerBook, I'd be paying a £380 premium over the 14" iBook. That's a 138% price hike for a display which is only 256px wider and 86px taller. I'm not convinced about the benefits of such a small widescreen display. Increasingly, potential clients provide the use of a projector during meetings and these devices are often 800 x 600 px or 1024 x 768 px devices, so again high resolution displays and letterbox formats offer no real benefits.

The only reason I'd consider the 17" PowerBook is because of it's 'wow' factor. A lot clients judge a book by it's cover, and the 17" PowerBook is a very nice cover indeed.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

[i]

The only reason I'd consider the 17" PowerBook is because of it's 'wow' factor. A lot clients judge a book by it's cover, and the 17" PowerBook is a very nice cover indeed. [/B]

Actually, the 15" shares the wow factor if not to such a high degree...meh...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    Wait a week or two to see if these rumors about the ibooks are true and then go for the iBook if its updated.

If they are not updated, go for them anyway and with the price difference between 14" ibook an 17" Powerbook, go get yourself or wife or family a nice gift.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldor

Wait a week or two to see if these rumors about the ibooks are true and then go for the iBook if its updated.

If they are not updated, go for them anyway and with the price difference between 14" ibook an 17" Powerbook, go get yourself or wife or family a nice gift.

Good thinking Batman.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Well I decided to bite the bullet and go for the 17" PowerBook and I'm not disappointed!

Wow, what a fantastic machine. Coming from a dual processor G5 with 4GBs of RAM, the PowerBook is a damn sight faster than I expected it to be. Airport works like a dream, as does iSync and all the .mac functionality.

I've taken it to a couple of meetings now, and it's certainly a head turner.

I'm a very happy bunny right now...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Great Job!

I feel the same way about mine