London News: Post Experiences, Discussion Here

Comments

• Reply 121 of 170
    Blimey! The BB house is at Elstree Studios, Borehamwood. The people in the house's families were checked to see that no one was involved. As this was the case they decided not to tell the housemates. I am such a saddo, I'm bloodywell hooked on this trash
  • Reply 122 of 170
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crustibooga

Blimey! The BB house is at Elstree Studios, Borehamwood. The people in the house's families were checked to see that no one was involved. As this was the case they decided not to tell the housemates. I am such a saddo, I'm bloodywell hooked on this trash

WARNING: HUMOROUS AND POSSIBLY OFF TOPIC, IGNORE IF EASILY OFFENDED

well, at least BB UK is much trashier (and hence more fun) than the Aussie one. just pulled up day 46 off BitTorrent

damn, t&a in the sun, and this fabulous line one of the dude's just dropped: something like

"... well, you've got to decide whether to go for the easy pink or the long(?) brown...much like snooker... me, i prefer the easy pink..."

dude that's just nasty
  • Reply 123 of 170
    bronxitebronxite Posts: 104member
    More bombings?
  • Reply 124 of 170
    unfortunately sounds like there's more shit going down
  • Reply 126 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4703777.stm

midwinter you back stateside now?
  • Reply 127 of 170
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    This is either amateur copycats, a good opportunity to get some info (this time the terrorists would still be alive) or a distraction from the real terror action that comes later today.
  • Reply 128 of 170
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Something is going on.

1) Man arrested near downing street,police draws a gun against him.

2) Police is searching a hospital with bomb dog while sealing its exits.
  • Reply 129 of 170
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

midwinter you back stateside now?

Yeah. As of this past Friday (the 15th, I believe).
  • Reply 130 of 170
    Detonator went off on a bus in Shoreditch, where my brother lives, about twenty minutes from my frigging house.

Apparently it went off in Columbia Road / Hackney Road, which is the heart of London's muslim quarter. Really weird.
  • Reply 131 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Detonator went off on a bus in Shoreditch, where my brother lives, about twenty minutes from my frigging house.

Apparently it went off in Columbia Road / Hackney Road, which is the heart of London's muslim quarter. Really weird.

Oof. I hope no one you know was affected. Sorry I missed you in London. I'm going to try to write a grant that'll get me in London for a couple of months next summer.
  • Reply 132 of 170
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    This "appears" to be a screwup if Auntie is right:

Quote:

'Signature'

The head of the Metropolitan Police, Sir Ian Blair, said the new attacks were meant to cause mass casualties.

But why did all the devices fail to detonate?

Speaking on BBC Two's Newsnight programme, Mike Granatt - a government counter-terrorism adviser - said the science of bomb making was not precise.

"People who are doing things in a hurry and under tension get things wrong, - and thank God they appear to have got things wrong," he said.

\t

They can...trace back the materials that were used to make the bomb and indeed the signature of the bomb maker

Mike Granatt

He added that the clues left behind by the bombers, including fingerprints on the rucksacks, might provide investigators with a "forensic goldmine".

This, if reported accurately, could be just the break through the good guys need -- and reminds me of a scene from Henry V:

Quote:

GLOUCESTER

I hope they will not come upon us now.

KING HENRY V

We are in God's hand, brother, not in theirs.

• Reply 133 of 170
    Said Hal to Gloucester during a war he's been tricked into waging by corrupt and self-interested priests.
  • Reply 134 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Said Hal to Gloucester during a war he's been tricked into waging by corrupt and self-interested priests.

Touché.
  • Reply 135 of 170
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Some timely advice, issued by the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

24-July-2005

To ensure that you don't fall victim to summary execution on the London Tube system, please consider the following important rules of behavior:

1) Never run

Even if you're late going to work, NEVER RUN to catch the subway -- only walk slowly (as Englishman Sting sang: "A gentleman will walk but never run.") It doesn't matter if you miss the subway and your Thatcherite/Blairite employer fires you. Your life is more important.

2) Light clothing

No matter how cold the British climate and the subway corridors, NEVER WEAR A COAT or other thick clothing, since that could look like you're hiding explosives on you. We recommend beach attire only. It doesn't matter if you catch the influenza and your Thatcherite/Blairite employer fires you. Your life is more important.

3) White skin

To avoid being confused with Islamists for "walking while black" (or brown), try to GET A WHITE SKIN -- not even a light suntan because that looks even more suspect (Middle-Eastern). For details, you may consult with Michael Jackson.

4) White neighborhood

Living in poor neighborhoods makes you suspect, given the high density of surveillance cameras that will track you on your way from home to the subway. TRY MOVING to a white rich neighborhood.

5) If they're after you

If some shadowy plain-clothes gang starts running at you, STRIP NAKED immediately to show that you're not hiding any explosives on your body. If they're muggers -- too bad, but your life is more important. Be ready to accept a full body-cavity search, because these professionals know that any asshole could hide a hand grenade.
  • Reply 136 of 170
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    That shit is hillarious.
  • Reply 137 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

2) Light clothing

No matter how cold the British climate and the subway corridors, NEVER WEAR A COAT or other thick clothing, since that could look like you're hiding explosives on you. We recommend beach attire only. It doesn't matter if you catch the influenza and your Thatcherite/Blairite employer fires you. Your life is more important.

It's been hot as hell in London for the past few weeks.
  • Reply 138 of 170
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Why let the facts get in the way of a good story?
  • Reply 139 of 170
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Maybe they should add don't break the law and keep your visa updated.

Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Some timely advice, issued by the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

24-July-2005

To ensure that you don't fall victim to summary execution on the London Tube system, please consider the following important rules of behavior:

1) Never run

Even if you're late going to work, NEVER RUN to catch the subway -- only walk slowly (as Englishman Sting sang: "A gentleman will walk but never run.") It doesn't matter if you miss the subway and your Thatcherite/Blairite employer fires you. Your life is more important.

2) Light clothing

3) White skin

To avoid being confused with Islamists for "walking while black" (or brown), try to GET A WHITE SKIN -- not even a light suntan because that looks even more suspect (Middle-Eastern). For details, you may consult with Michael Jackson.

4) White neighborhood

Living in poor neighborhoods makes you suspect, given the high density of surveillance cameras that will track you on your way from home to the subway. TRY MOVING to a white rich neighborhood.

5) If they're after you

If some shadowy plain-clothes gang starts running at you, STRIP NAKED immediately to show that you're not hiding any explosives on your body. If they're muggers -- too bad, but your life is more important. Be ready to accept a full body-cavity search, because these professionals know that any asshole could hide a hand grenade.

• Reply 140 of 170
    That shit is shit.