More Terror in London 7/21, Low Casualties

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    My initial reaction to this was, copycat. But I heard a report from either FoxNews or MSNBC that said the same type of residue from the bus blast two weeks ago was found on today's bus. So this could be a concerted effort.

I also heard that a Pakistani man was detained because he had 20 plus phone calls over a short period of time with one of the terrorists from the first London attack...but that was reported as unconfirmed. If true this could provide some good intel.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    It involved detonators only, according to Scotland Yard. Thank heavens nobody was killed, but it was intended to have the exact same effect desired by the perps, as happened in the 7/7 attacks: fear, fear and more fear. Fear is what terrorists instill in a population (like, duh): A fearful populace are very easily controlled, the terrorists know this. And when the people lose control of their own destiny to a hostile party, its all over. Lets hope the Brits don't swallow the dope, like we did here in the US, wholesale, in the wake of 911.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    2 or 3 in custody. This could be a major breakthrough. Not just into the terrorist network but also in what social mechanisms makes native born brits try suicide attempts.

Looking forward going to Berlin in a couple of weeks. I´ll rather take the metro there than here right now.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I don't think terrorism work : great britain will never give up, because of this people. Terrorism as more to do with the feeling of power : power to kill, power to frighten than anything else.

The reason behind terrorism is domination, in the most violent and cruel way. It lead nowhere except more violence and more hate.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    If the Nazis couldn't break GB terrorists sure as hell won't.

Quote:

"An Italian young man ... said a man was carrying a rucksack (that) suddenly exploded, a minor explosion but enough to blow open the rucksack, and the man then made an exclamation as if something had gone wrong and ... everyone rushed off the carriage."

Damn right something went wrong, the wiring in that man's head is bad wrong.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Damn right something went wrong, the wiring in that man's head is bad wrong.

Let's expect that this man did not wear the Intel inside logo
  • Reply 7 of 55
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Lets hope the Brits don't swallow the dope, like we did here in the US, wholesale, in the wake of 911.

Unlike the US, the UK has been subject to terrorist bombings by the IRA for 30 years. I dont think they are about to massively over react.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Unlike the US, the UK has been subject to terrorist bombings by the IRA for 30 years. I dont think they are about to massively over react.

Not sure, but are you suggesting that we (the US) have over reacted?
  • Reply 9 of 55
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Not sure, but are you suggesting that we (the US) have over reacted?

The writer is suggesting that the US government "over-reacted" based on the much touted, but absurd and untenable notion that the 9-11 attacks (as well as the anthrax incidents) were a surprise. We now know full well that the attacks were absolutely no surprise, in any shape or form, to those in the relevant loop, at that time. There were numerous, if not dozensof well-documented occasions where various departments and agencies knew full well that attacks were going to occur, and in the case of the FBI, accurate knowledge right down to the nature, times, date, and locations of the attacks.

Regarding the anthrax, the extra-high-grade powder originated from Fort Detrick, (eliminating the Islamic/middle eastern connection), and White House staff were ordered to take the antibiotic Cipro on September 11 as a precautionary measure, some 10 days before the first anthrax was delivered.

The over-reactions were by (the large majority of lawmakers) who were (a) out of the loop and (b) swallowed the drivel with nary a question or raised eyebrow.

• Reply 10 of 55
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Hmm... stepping on the same rake twice...

Well, a few more times and maybe they'll decide to really do something about it.

I just hope that it will not kill many people!
  • Reply 11 of 55
    They also did WTC twice. And they were far in planning Madrid take two. And thats even AFTER Spain had withdrawn and was declared off the hook by AQ.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Strike three

It doesn´t look good. Luckily it looks like the Bobbies are prepared. Lets hope they continues to be succesful...
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Strike three

It doesn´t look good. Luckily it looks like the Bobbies are prepared. Lets hope they continues to be succesful...

In fact this are good news. The police will caught the bombers, and will be able to dismantle the whole group. Londoners will be secure for some times, unless an another team of terrorists will arrise.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Hmm. Just saw the press conference from London Police. Sounds like the shooting today could have been a mistake... They didn´t say much about it, just that he had fled when the police tried to stop him...
  • Reply 15 of 55
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Hmm. Just saw the press conference from London Police. Sounds like the shooting today could have been a mistake... They didn´t say much about it, just that he had fled when the police tried to stop him...

uh-ho. Civilian clothed police, right?
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

uh-ho. Civilian clothed police, right?

• Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:

It would be terrible if it was a misstake. Especially since the police have been instructed to shoot suspects in the head.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Apperently they first put him to the ground, then shot him.

"They pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him."

witness account.

BBC link.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Apperently they first put him to the ground, then shot him.

"They pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him."

witness account.

Yes. If I was a passenger on the train and the police was sure that the person was a risk I would hope and expect them to do as they did. His hands could have released a bomb or he could have resisted long enough for a bomb to go off. But I hope they were really sure in their case. Its not acceptable that one innocent is killed on the basis of a weak suspicion of a danger to a defined number of people. Fleeing from heavy armed police the day after a terrorist attempt does make a good case though...
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:

Yes. If I was a passenger on the train and the police was sure that the person was a risk I would hope and expect them to do as they did. His hands could have released a bomb or he could have resisted long enough for a bomb to go off. But I hope they were really sure in their case. Its not acceptable that one innocent is killed on the basis of a weak suspicion of a danger to a defined number of people. Fleeing from heavy armed police the day after a terrorist attempt does make a good case though...

It is certainly uderstandable, as the police must be under enormous pressure, but it also sets a dangerous precedence.