Windows Vista

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The apparent release name for Longhorn is Windows Vista. The following defintion from our friend Paul Thurott.

Quote:

Vista: Noun

1 - A view, especially a splendid view from a high position.

2 - A possible future action or event that you can imagine.

i.e. Apple regaining the market share lead with OS X. Perhaps Microsoft is predicting the future...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Let's see how much more market share the Mac can get before Vista's release...because I'm thinking we're going to stay wherever we're at when it comes out.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Let's see how much more market share the Mac can get before Vista's release...because I'm thinking we're going to stay wherever we're at when it comes out.

Oh, I'm not sure so about that. We'll see what Leopard brings to the table.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    As long as the Mac OS is tied to Apple hardware, Apple's marketshare will never increase more than a few points.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FotNS

As long as the Mac OS is tied to Apple hardware, Apple's marketshare will never increase more than a few points.

That wouldn't be all bad. It keeps apple inovating! I'd personally like to see them at 10-15%
  • Reply 5 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    The next year is the golden opportunity for Apple.

1) Use the time to get X into everybody's mind.

2) DON`T SCREW UP THE INTEL TRANSITION.

3) Make Leopard kick ass and use all you earned on the iPod craze to stuff it down peoples throats. If MS use X on Vista commercials you use X*2.

What about a demo of X that will only run iTunes and the OS programs on every Wintel and ship it with every sixpack of Pepsi?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

The next year is the golden opportunity for Apple.

1) Use the time to get X into everybody's mind.

2) DON`T SCREW UP THE INTEL TRANSITION.

3) Make Leopard kick ass and use all you earned on the iPod craze to stuff it down peoples throats. If MS use X on Vista commercials you use X*2.

What about a demo of X that will only run iTunes and the OS programs on every Wintel and ship it with every sixpack of Pepsi?

I would love to see a OSX live disk, but we will not, it is a driver thing, to put it simply, and if we did see it, it would be hacked...and that would be bad
  • Reply 7 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Demos of operating systems are too troublesome and risk your computer.

I think Apple should get as much marketshare as possible by letting Mac OS X install on any Intel machine. They should sell DRM updates in bulk to computer manufacturers that make their computers "think" they're a Mac as well as a Windows machine.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    valmadvalmad Posts: 49member
    VISTA IS JUST A MIRAGE.

You can only see it through dirty windows.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Windows bashing is just as boring as Mac bashing. Stop it. For all we know, Longhorn will kill Leopard.

\

• Reply 10 of 18
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    English: Vista

Brazilian Portuguese: "Pay with money"

Interesting...

I haven't been able to confirm this, as I read it on another forum.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    tatletatle Posts: 4member
    Calling it Microsoft OS X would be too obvious, now wouldn't it?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Windows bashing is just as boring as Mac bashing. Stop it. For all we know, Longhorn will kill Leopard.

\

now window-smashing on the other hand...

but, you're right...it could very well be better for all we know (and with the amount of time it took for them to build, it really should be)
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by keot

English: Vista

Brazilian Portuguese: "Pay with money"

Interesting...

I haven't been able to confirm this, as I read it on another forum.

The Italian translation is much better: Seen Windows

I think the name is fitting considering it was supposed to be out 2 years ago.

(confirmed through the dashboard translator)
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Maybe it's better with Macs as a minority. Despite the blatant misunderstanding of the whole concept of Apple Computer, imagine what would happen if billions of Windows n00bs (n00bs through no fault of their own; I don't mean switchers, I mean people who have never heard of Mac OS) start using Mac because it's "fashionable" or something? We have enough developers etc. that Macs are no longer a totally niche product. I'm kinda pissed about the Halo effect though, with every single Windoze user with an iPod pretending they're an Apple fan *grumbles*
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I used the vista beta today, and frankly i wont be upgrading, couldnt get my network card working, and to me all it is, is a repackaged windows xp, internet explorer 7 is nothing new to me - being a firefox user, so yeh I think this really is a great opportunity for apple.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midgcool

I used the vista beta today, and frankly i wont be upgrading, couldnt get my network card working, and to me all it is, is a repackaged windows xp, internet explorer 7 is nothing new to me - being a firefox user, so yeh I think this really is a great opportunity for apple.

Judging the final OS by a developer release you probably shouldn't have is neither fair nor logical.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    kmok1kmok1 Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midgcool

Hey, Vista is still a beta. The worst is still to come... I am so looking forward to the new breed of viruses and spywares.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    We shouldn't judge it too harshly now. When it Leopard Gold Masters and Vista is forced upon the world, and is subsequently totally pwned by Leopard, we can laugh. Like this; "Ha. Ha. ... heh." Indeed.