New Apple hardware expected next week

Comments

• Reply 41 of 165
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldor

That would make quite an update. It seems feasible. Maybe they will lose the 14" in the lineup , because of the difference 14"-15".

Yeah I put it to please the other guys,

but I believe a bright 1280x768 13.3" screen would be fine,

it could fit in a new hybrid enclosure:

something with the depth of the PB12 but the width of the iBook 14 = 8.6 x 12.7)?
  • Reply 42 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanjarman

I just got my iBook today so I hope that the change is not huge. I got the upgraded ram and marddrive but I must admit I am a little concerned.

Yeah.. I would be VERY concerned dude.. you really should have seen the warning signs... this will be QUITE the update.
  • Reply 43 of 165
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

I just got my iBook today so I hope that the change is not huge. I got the upgraded ram and marddrive but I must admit I am a little concerned.

If any improvements are "huge", I'll feel your pain(but not for long), HOWEVER, since I haven't yet bought an iBook for my college bound daughter(we'll be looking Sunday & buying next week), I hope the changes are bigger than huge, more on the order of mind-boggling, outstandingly, revolutionary.

It's all a matter perspective.

But I'll live with a small speed boost and hopefully upgraded graphics chip/vram and be deliriously happy if the alleged new iBooks will still qualify for the educational coupon for $179 toward the purchase of an iPod.
  • Reply 44 of 165
    In case these are huge updates, what is apples return policy. Is their any sort of thirty day guarentee?

I must admit I am not too worried as I have already fallen in love with the machine as it is. I really don't need anything much flashier.
  • Reply 45 of 165
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

In case these are huge updates, what is apples return policy. Is their any sort of thirty day guarentee?

I must admit I am not too worried as I have already fallen in love with the machine as it is. I really don't need anything much flashier.

I read somewhere on Apples support pages that they have a 14 day "we will refund the difference if we lower prices" period. But that really don´t cover your situation. Apple usually sell the few left over machines as "open box" items. The only ones who could take advantage of it were those who bought a display just before the price cuts...
  • Reply 46 of 165
    Well if it turns out to be a huge change I will make sure as to demand satisfaction. I may even sick my dad on them and they realy do not want to deal with him.
  • Reply 47 of 165
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    RETURN & REFUND POLICY

If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a pre-built product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 10 business days ...<snip>

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

Product that is custom configured to your specifications

Opened memory

Opened software

Electronic software downloads

<snip>....

Since you upgraded I think your stuck, but it couldn't hurt to contact the toll free number above.

In any event, you have a good computer you were satisfied enough with to purchase in the first place. Be happy, enjoy your purchase, buying any electronic device is a crap shoot and newer better cheaper stuff comes out all the time. Every time I've bought in the past within what seems like seconds the last greatest comes out, I move on and enjoy my purchase.
  • Reply 48 of 165
    True enough.

I have a feeling that the upgrade will not be life shattering although I could be wrong. I have no interest in playing games or anything of that ilk, so I cannot imagine how the upgrade will effect me too much.

My only problem now is figuring out why I cannot get it to connect with my wireless router grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
  • Reply 49 of 165
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mjteix

Yeah I put it to please the other guys,

but I believe a bright 1280x768 13.3" screen would be fine,

it could fit in a new hybrid enclosure:

something with the depth of the PB12 but the width of the iBook 14 = 8.6 x 12.7)?

It would most likely be 1152x768. The old resolution of the PB G4.
  • Reply 50 of 165
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

If any improvements are "huge", I'll feel your pain(but not for long), HOWEVER, since I haven't yet bought an iBook for my college bound daughter(we'll be looking Sunday & buying next week), I hope the changes are bigger than huge, more on the order of mind-boggling, outstandingly, revolutionary.

It's all a matter perspective.

But I'll live with a small speed boost and hopefully upgraded graphics chip/vram and be deliriously happy if the alleged new iBooks will still qualify for the educational coupon for $179 toward the purchase of an iPod.

don't forget the regular edu discount...and on software and peripherals too.
  • Reply 51 of 165
    Given the oncoming intel switch there is only one thing that would get me to buy the mini right now and I hope it is represented by the 699 version ---

The Mac Mini HD edition

There is a huge interest in using the mini as a home theater computer. It can already record HD streams from a tuner and send it back like a DVHS unit, but it doesn't have the power to decode 1080i streams.

Some people believe you need a G5 for that, but you really just need OS level access to a good GPU. That, a DL superdrive, and Apple's touch on software to manage, eidt, and burn HD programs would EASILY sell for 699.

Oh yeah, and a price reduction on displays would be nice!!
  • Reply 52 of 165
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

True enough.

I have a feeling that the upgrade will not be life shattering although I could be wrong. I have no interest in playing games or anything of that ilk, so I cannot imagine how the upgrade will effect me too much.

My only problem now is figuring out why I cannot get it to connect with my wireless router grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

what brand of router? you on tiger 10.4.2? got the latest firmware for the router?
  • Reply 53 of 165
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

The eMac is already sitting pretty.

256mb ram tho'....

That's hardly a disadvantage since it's got two fairly easily accessible DIMM slots. 256MB on the mini, with only one harder to access slot, is more significantly crippling (IMO).

When I first opened my G3 iBook 600 after a recent trip I was shocked, then disappointed, to discover a harsh looking full-width horizontal line across the display. I wasn't planning to upgrade it for awhile but probably couldn't wait a few years for rev. B Intel portables either. So, all this is going to make the next iBook announcement very tempting, especially if it finally gets a >1024x768 display. Other specs are less important right now so I might end up with one of the current models if the new ones don't have a higher resolution.
  • Reply 54 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

That's hardly a disadvantage since it's got two fairly easily accessible DIMM slots. 256MB on the mini, with only one harder to access slot, is more significantly crippling (IMO).

good point. 2 DIMM slots on the eMac is sweet, and it doesn't use the more expensive so-dimms that portables use if i am not mistaken

edit: i have to admit though that personally i have to have lcd for anything higher than 1024x768. maybe i'm getting old (mid-20s) heh

sorry to hear about your iBook g3

• Reply 55 of 165
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

... , and it doesn't use the more expensive so-dimms that portables use if i am not mistaken

That's true. But the price of SODIMMs has dropped significantly since I bought an eMac last May (now my wife's; I've got the iMac G5 ). And one reason I hadn't bought an iMac G4 was because RAM for it was so expensive, with only one user-accessible SODIMM slot and the hard-to-replace 256MB internal DIMM. Still glad I got the eMac a bit later instead.

Quote:

edit: i have to admit though that personally i have to have lcd for anything higher than 1024x768. maybe i'm getting old (mid-20s) heh

I don't usually tell people my age unless they guess first.

The eMac's CRT is okay but the iMac's 20" no-dead-pixel LCD has spoiled me. 1024x768 resolution (like on the iBook) would bother me more than whether the display is CRT or LCD, but using a virtual desktop manager makes it much more tolerable.

Quote:

sorry to hear about your iBook g3

Thanks. At least it's still usable, unlike the )(&*@#$ digitizer on my barely-year-old Palm PDA.
  • Reply 56 of 165
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

At least it's still usable, unlike the )(&*@#$ digitizer on my barely-year-old Palm PDA.

too bad PDA didnt break beofre 1 year mark - most of them come with a 12month warranty. Well, not my Zire 31, that's only 30days (eek), but Ive dropped it, wet it, cracked the case open, and it still faitfully sits in my pocket and plays mp3's, manages my contacts, has my school timetable and computer component price lists for quick reference. Oh yeah, and the games are great for that boring bus trip... Anywho, right now it has a fork stuck up the reset hole - anyone know how to get those out?
  • Reply 57 of 165
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Thanks. At least it's still usable, unlike the )(&*@#$ digitizer on my barely-year-old Palm PDA.

Heh, my 4 year old Palm IIIc is still trudging on. I wonder if there is any remote control software for it - I'm planning of getting a SqueezeBox2 at some point, but the software for Palm for that is PalmOS4+ only, and the IIIc is OS3.5 :S
  • Reply 58 of 165
    sorry mateys, my sonyericsson t630 and bluetooth iSyncing does everything i ever wanted to do with my old Palm Pilot and Handspring Visor. i don't mean to sound condescending, but i'm with endgadget.com and their view of wtf happened to Palm?
  • Reply 59 of 165
    ncbillncbill Posts: 17member
    I have to disagree with those who think the smallest iBook will be one with a 13.3" screen

There is little difference in size between portables with a 13.3" screen and ones with 14.1" screens - might as well go with a 14.1" iBook.

Most people now opt for the 12" iBook - and a 12" widescreen iBook is easy to do.

I base that on the Dell Inspiron 700m I just got - it is a 12" widescreen, with cheap plastics, but a beautiful 1280 x 800 12" widescreen LCD.

The 700m is the same size as the 12" Powerbook, except for being about 0.75" wider.

Even widescreen, the 700m feels like a 12" iBook

As for RAM, I sure hope the 512MB is soldered to the board, so I don't end up tossing a 256MB chip to upgrade.
  • Reply 60 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by ncbill

....As for RAM, I sure hope the 512MB is soldered to the board, so I don't end up tossing a 256MB chip to upgrade.

i have a strong feeling of 512mb soldered on both iBook 12" and 14", with one PC2100 (accepts PC2700) slot available. that ram is PC2100 and bus speed remains @ 133mhz

i have a 512mb PC2700 in my dad's 933mhz iBook g4 right now, itching to jump ship straight into the 512mb-soldered new iBooks to hit the ground running with 1GB. yeah, c'mon apple *does cheerleading routine* give me an A.... P....