large drive support on dual G4

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know how I can get my 2c 250GB WD to get recognised above 128GB on my dual G4 500MHZ? I tried using intech's large drive support driver, but nothing. Installed it and restarted and still nothing. I currently have both drives set up as raid 0 through the os (MAC OS 10.4.2). It only shows about 232GB total.

Any ideas what I can do without having to go out and buying an ata pci card for the mac?

thanks

DD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dage007

Does anyone know how I can get my 2c 250GB WD to get recognised above 128GB on my dual G4 500MHZ? I tried using intech's large drive support driver, but nothing. Installed it and restarted and still nothing. I currently have both drives set up as raid 0 through the os (MAC OS 10.4.2). It only shows about 232GB total.

Any ideas what I can do without having to go out and buying an ata pci card for the mac?

thanks

DD

There is a hack somewhere out there. But its not free. I´ll see if I can find it...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    I installed one of these into our Dual 500 G4 that is our server so we could add 2 300GB HD's and it has worked great. Now we could have up to 4 HD's in there versus the 2, and of course see more then 128GB.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

There is a hack somewhere out there. But its not free. I´ll see if I can find it...

thaks, sure would help me out. My raid 5 is about to crap out, teh controller is acting funny so I went out and purchased 2x 250GB drives to temporarily back up the raid unit. Right now with the disk shortage I am going to have to select what I want to save.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Nope. Can´t find the hack within the span of my attention. Try to google it yourself.

But go with O4BlackWRXs advice. My suggestion IS a hack, won´t work as well as a proper solution and costs at least half of a controller card.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    You can't find a hack because it's impossible to hack.

The problem is that the controller is ATA/66 and so it only recognizes the first 128GB. It's a hardware problem, and you'll need to run the drive through an ata/100 or better PCI controller to see more than that.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    baranovichbaranovich Posts: 184member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

You can't find a hack because it's impossible to hack.

The problem is that the controller is ATA/66 and so it only recognizes the first 128GB. It's a hardware problem, and you'll need to run the drive through an ata/100 or better PCI controller to see more than that.

Yes, this is correct. I had the same problem on a G4 400Mhz.