dodgy eMac screen, your opinions? would/wouldn't you buy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey all,

im looking around at 2nd Macs.

I've come across a 1.25Ghz eMac that has 256mb of RAM and a 40GB HD.

It can read DVDs and burn CDs. Basically it can do everything i want (i plan on getting an external HD later and an iPod).

It's only drawback is that the screen isn't perfect. It's described as having "slight discolouration on the sides".

Here's a link to an image of it. (dial-up users beware, it's about 200Kb).

If it were up to you, would you buy it? It's not that old and has quite a good price, but clearly the screen is a drawback. I will also be bumping up the RAM to 700mb.

Also, im currently using the family's iMac G5, which i frequently run the stereo into the Audio Line In port and record the radio into mp3s, but the eMac doesnt seem to have this. Is there an alternative way for me to do this on an eMac? (and no, before you ask, the program i frequently record isn't available as a Podcast).

Thanks for your thoughts, opinions, etc

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    That would personally annoy the hell out of me.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    hmm... i donno how i feel about it. The main reason for getting another computer was so i had full access to my mp3 collection in my room (where my stereo is), but i'd also love to get back into digital art (mainly fashion illustrations).

speaking of that, what can anyone tell me about modern-day scanners? what kind of features would i want and are all scanners Mac-compatible? And what's this about them scanning colour negatives....?

Back to the topic: i cant decide how much the screen would annoy me. part of me is thinking that i should just get it, because regardless of what i buy it will soon loose significant value in a few years. If i spend less now, then perhaps i can upgrade sooner (a Mac Mini with more than 1 RAM slot would be good).

So if i could put up with this for a few years everything would be fine.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

If it were up to you, would you buy it?

Definitely not. If you are interested in low budget macs, why don't you buy a new one (eMac or Mac mini)? Not expensive and it comes with warranty.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    i dont want a Mac Mini because they only have 1 RAM slot.

as for buying a new eMac, i dont have a lot of money. I'd like to spend a small amount on a computer because they are terrible things to invest in (they lose value pretty quickly).

this eMac has a pretty speedy CPU, USB 2 and reads DVDs. The only set back is the screen, which i can probably live with. If the soundcard was dead, THEN there'd be a problem!

Also, i need to save some of my limited funds for a router, an ext. HD and a scanner. (and another 512mb of RAM).
  • Reply 5 of 22
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    If there is no warranty on that thing, the CRT looking crazy like that probably means that it's gonna go south pretty soon. Then you are completely screwed.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    About the screen: That would piss me off, but since it's going to be be your comp, you have to decide if it annoys you or not.

About the sound: external soundcard (available from Griffin and a whole bunch of other people) ~$50 or so...maybe less
  • Reply 7 of 22
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Do not buy this machine. I speak as an experienced eMac owner. I am not saying do not buy any eMac. If you can get hold of one like mine that's been pretty much rebuilt while still under AppleCare (including the addition of a special, one-of-a-kind plate on the bottom!), then I say, go for it. But you do not want this machine.

That is all I'm going to say to convince you. I've already observed you not listening to people about Norton.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    As an owner of two eMacs, I would suggest you look for a better unit. The only exception would be if this machine has spent its life in close proximity to magnetic fields (either unshielded stereo speakers placed on either side or one or two external CRTs similarly situated). Magnetic fields can cause similar effects to those in your photo. In that case, repeatedly shutting-down and restarting the eMac could de-Gauss the screen and make the colored areas diminish or disappear.

If the eMac's been isolated from magnetic fields, I don't think you can help the display without repairing it at a cost probably higher than you're spending for the entire computer.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

That is all I'm going to say to convince you. I've already observed you not listening to people about Norton. [/B]

it's true about the Norton thing, but i actually used Norton successfully and through it managed to save my entire Music Library.

I'll ask the owner some more quesitons about the eMac (likew what it's sitting next to, etc)
  • Reply 10 of 22
    mariusmarius Posts: 23member
    Quote:

...I need to save some of my limited funds for a router, an ext. HD and a scanner. (and another 512mb of RAM).

...hey, I understand that you actually are going to buy this sick eMac - so just do it - but I recommend that you pay US$100 at max. Can you tell how much you're going to pay for it? If I had this bizarre machine, I would defenitely have given it away for a bottle of wine.

PS! A router+extern HD+scanner will cost you some money - add this sum and the eMac sum and buy another used Mac.

Just my 2(euro)cents
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Yeh i know it's all going to cost me money. But it does have a 1.25Ghz CPU, which is pretty speedy. And with 700Mb RAM it should be zooming along also.

The owner assures me that it doesn't look as bad in real life as it does in the picture. Ok, i'll tell you in US$ what im looking at...

US$450

here's a couple of prices that i've seen recently though (all converted to US$)

1GHz eMac, 256mb w/ 40GB HD ----US$585

800Mhz eMac, 256mb w/ 60GB HD ---US$612

700Mhz G4 iMac, 256mb w/ 40GB HD -US$558

Im looking at

1.25Ghz eMac, 256mb w/ 40GB HD --US$450
  • Reply 12 of 22
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Adding the extra ram is going to help but not make it zoom along. If I were you I would save a bit longer or put off buying some of the other things and get a refurb iMac G5 1.6, 256, combo and 80GB HD ($899 from the Apple store)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.6.7.1.0.1.1

reg
  • Reply 13 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    It needs degaussed...this is a reason why I hate AIOs, no controls on the front to handle this sort of thing independant from the PC.

If there is no built in degausser (which there should be) call the local TV repair shop and see how much he would charge for a quick degauss...cant see it costing more than ~$10

Just get a MacMINI1.2/40g/combo/512 mb and a second hand CRT and you will be much happeir, if the emac display dies, you are hosed, if the MacMini display dies, you replace it on the cheap with no risk of data loss
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

1.25Ghz eMac, 256mb w/ 40GB HD --US$450

...if you feel this is the best deal you can get right now - GO BUY
  • Reply 15 of 22
    ...confused

I didnt mean the above, sorry
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

Adding the extra ram is going to help but not make it zoom along. If I were you I would save a bit longer or put off buying some of the other things and get a refurb iMac G5 1.6, 256, combo and 80GB HD ($899 from the Apple store)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.6.7.1.0.1.1

reg

That sounds a bit too pricey for me right now, but in a year or two that'd be great. The problem is that - as far as i can see - the Australian apple website doesnt have this same refurbished deal.

Correct me if im wrong - apple.com.au.

And the problem with a Mac Mini is the ONE slot for RAM. Unless i bought one with 1GB of RAM, i would have to remove what ever it came with and then add a GB.

Also, im very interested in recording from various audio equipment in my room (eg guitar amp, etc) but i want to know does the eMac or Mac Mini have a audio line-in like the G5 iMac does?

Thanks
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Can anyone tell me if Apple.com will ship refurbished items to Australia? (im looking at the old iPods rather than computers, postage would be insanly expensive for a computer).
  • Reply 18 of 22
    synosyno Posts: 33member
    yeah my emac has audio in line
  • Reply 19 of 22
    resres Posts: 711member
    I would not buy that computer for more then $50-$100. There is just to great a chance that the screen is on its way out -- what would you do with an eMac with a screen?

On ebay you can pick up a used mac mini with 1gb memory for about $500.

Or if you want an eMac you can get one of those for about the same price.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Hey all,

im looking around at 2nd Macs.

I've come across a 1.25Ghz eMac that has 256mb of RAM and a 40GB HD.

I would buy it, but I would use the poor screen as leverage to get it cheaper. At 450 it isnt much cheaper than a refurb ( which has a 1 year warranty, mine was pristine ).

The screen needs a degauss, it is easy to do. TV repairmen have degauss wands, or you could get your own at an electronics shop for not much, even Dick Smiths.

Dont forget that the emac has video out, so in a pinch you can just plug in an external monitor and forget about the built in one. This might be a nice way to progressively upgrade your system. You can also run a dual screen hack to run both at the same time.

The emac has line in and out, so you are covered on the audio front.

Other considerations: get the tilt swivel base, the machine is quite clumsy without it.

The screen isnt really that good anyway.

Make sure that its not an overclocked older model, mine is an 800 running at 1.2. Its not bad in and of itself, but the ram in the older models is PC133, and quite expensive to get 512mb dimms. The sticker inside the drive door lists the model details.