Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
finally this writer sees the Apple and Mac roadmap

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1840479,00.asp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    All this because of "Vista"?

C'mon. Vista is seriously late and way overpromised (and underdelivered), but it's going to at long last bring Windows up to speed in graphic and UI niceties, the kind of bells and whistles OS X has had for years. Fueled by an huge, huge marketing campaign, it's going to do very well indeed. Besides, MS is going to dominate the desktop market, as it always has. And don't underestimate their ability to do good(-enough) work when under the gun.

If Apple ever reaches the 10% mark in market-share, it'll be extraordinary beyond belief. Dvorak's "sudden 85%" is a deluded fantasy.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Keep on dreaming. Most of the new features that were promised for Longhorn... err.. I mean Vista, were pulled a couple of months ago. Microsoft has finally come to the party just a little too late this time, IMHO.

The name Vista kind of makes me think they are looking for something.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

Keep on dreaming. Most of the new features that were promised for Longhorn... err.. I mean Vista, were pulled a couple of months ago. Microsoft has finally come to the party just a little too late this time, IMHO.

The name Vista kind of makes me think they are looking for something.

I think it is you who are still in REM. Vista will out-sell OSX 10 - 1. Never, ever underestimate a multi-million dollar add campane.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

.... Fueled by an huge, huge marketing campaign, it's going to do very well indeed. Besides, MS is going to dominate the desktop market, as it always has. And don't underestimate their ability to do good(-enough) work when under the gun.

You may be right, but it is very likely that you will be proven wrong. It is likely that Windows Vista will be a success in the OEM market. That is, assuming that the many preexisting copyright holders of the name don't force a name change. Let us not forget that last Windows retail success was Windows 95. For the vast majority of Windows users, they use whichever OS ships on their new computer. Windows XP is has a very low profile in the retail market. With Longhorn/Vista having promised features removed or delayed every month, it is looking ever more like Win XP SP3. It is a matter of opinion that the announcement of Vista was met with a loud yawn. But, if Dvorak is proven correct when the OS goes on sale, then M$ will be in deep $hit.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

I think it is you who are still in REM. Vista will out-sell OSX 10 - 1. Never, ever underestimate a multi-million dollar add campane.

That'd still put Apple's marketshare at 9%.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    namo4184namo4184 Posts: 25member
    Most monopolies that are not gov supported die. Thats just history. 100 years from now we may very well say "who was Microsoft" or "who was apple" and my favorite "Google was just a search engine!"
  • Reply 7 of 19
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaMo4184

100 years from now

Yeah, that's very inspiring.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

100 years from now we may very well say...

I'd be willing to bet that most of us here wont... Although modern medicine and such... hmm.

I read this with a small smile on my face, but who knows what backlash Vista will get? I mean all the new cool features have been pulled, rumoured to be added later in service packs and such. They say they are creating Windows Vista with security as an integral part, rather than an add-on. To me that says "In the past we have bodged it, and lied to you. Now please trust us this time..." But then, I'm not most people

I'm sure many people will try to break Vista because of their upbeat words of their security and unfortunately for customers, they will probably do it.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Not to sound like the classic "Longhorn is OS X LOL" mac idiot, but I can name a Tiger equivalent for every single new Longhorn feature.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Dvorak has been wrong about almost everything in the past.

His recent praises for Apple can only spell doom for us all.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Dvorak lives in a self-centered delusional world somewhere in la la land, just because today he praises Apple makes no difference. He's still a clueless overpaid critic.

• Reply 12 of 19
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Agreed, Dvorak will float wherever the wind blows to get more hits.

But regarding Vista, I wonder just how painful a transition it will be for PC users worldwide. I assume it will be dog slow on most hardware, and numerous compatibility issues.

Maybe this very early beta will help the transition, or create early negative buzz?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    He also seems to forget that people buy computers with absolutely zero choice about the operating system.

Well not zero, you can upgrade to a pro version of xp.

but unless you buy a mac you must buy windows. with few exceptions.

So the day that you buy a computer with out thinking and it might come with OS X or Winodws is when Apple will jump in markdet share.

Basically when buying OS X stops being a conscious decision.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

He also seems to forget that people buy computers with absolutely zero choice about the operating system.

That is a dirty lie, you insencitive clod! you may choose home, pro, Media, or Tablet. Get it right, please.

Bil G.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Most monopolies that are not gov supported die. Thats just history. 100 years from now we may very well say "who was Microsoft" or "who was apple" and my favorite "Google was just a search engine!"

hmm care to give examples????

if I think of big monopolies lets say Standard Oil, Alcoa, AT&T.... it was the government that split them up.

microsoft will be dominant for a very very very long time unless they are broken up. Windows sucks but there will be no mass departure.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    salmonstk: I never said that the government wouldn't be involved. Microsoft seems to be a slippery fish to catch.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Microsoft seems to be a slippery fish to catch.

Yeah, especially when Bush's DoJ puts half a jar of Vaseline on their hands.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

salmonstk: I never said that the government wouldn't be involved. Microsoft seems to be a slippery fish to catch.

Sorry your comment made it sound like monopolies die out naturally unless they are maintained by the government.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Yeah, especially when Bush's DoJ puts half a jar of Vaseline on their hands.