If you make it I'll buy it- VW Roadster

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

OMG ....drool. Me want...me lusts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Looks like you might see it as the next Audi TT.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    get out your checkbook merchy! VW producing for release in the UK by 2008 its slightly different but the front dead on from this concept car...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco

get out your checkbook merchy! VW producing for release in the UK by 2008 its slightly different but the front dead on from this concept car...

Of course, the UK version would have the steering wheel on the wrong side for hmurchison's use in Seattle.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Of course, the UK version would have the steering wheel on the wrong side for hmurchison's use in Seattle.

I'll take it anyways!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hmmmm.......

Note to self: come 2008 be very careful when driving in Seattle....

Be particularly alert for a guy in a really nice roadster plowing into oncoming traffic......
  • Reply 6 of 13
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Its not that hard to to adjust.

My parents have on some occasions brought their car with them to England and Scotland on holiday. It went fine. The only problem is the round-abounds. For some reason they sometimes get confused and take the wrong way around...

Our first holiday in Scotland was in one of these

It was a fucking great car.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

My parents have on some occasions brought their car with them to England and Scotland on holiday. It went fine. The only problem is the round-abounds. For some reason they sometimes get confused and take the wrong way around...

I have a real soft spot for that vintage Volvo, particularly the wagon version of that very one.

Probably what I'd drive if upkeep wasn't so ruinously expensive.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    itsamacitsamac Posts: 20member
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I think a close freind of mmine had one of those-or similar. I remember playing around inside as a kid. It had some wooden blinds you could pull up in front of the radiator to keep it from freezing.

Now if VW and Volvo could only make hybrids, tehn I'd be interested.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I think a close freind of mmine had one of those-or similar. I remember playing around inside as a kid. It had some wooden blinds you could pull up in front of the radiator to keep it from freezing.

Now if VW and Volvo could only make hybrids, tehn I'd be interested.

I have the impression that European manufacturers are less interested in hybrids because they already make diesels that get as good or better mileage (only VW sells them in the US). And because of Europe's stricter controls on sulfur content in diesel and modern engine design they are plenty clean burning as well.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mitlovmitlov Posts: 130member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I have the impression that European manufacturers are less interested in hybrids because they already make diesels that get as good or better mileage (only VW sells them in the US). And because of Europe's stricter controls on sulfur content in diesel and modern engine design they are plenty clean burning as well.

Besides--hybrids only buy a couple extra years worth of petroleum reserves. Even if everybody on the planet drove a hybrid, we'd still run out of gas in about a generation or so. And we'd have a lot of very toxic batteries to dispose of (I've heard that the batteries in hybrids wear out in about eight years).

Diesels, on the other hand, can be very easily converted into biodiesels, ensuring a steady, clean-burning, renewable energy source forever.

Furthermore, hybrids cost about $8000 more than a normal gasoline car, whereas diesels cost the same as a normal car. Working class families couldn't afford to switch over to hybrids, but they could afford to switch over to biodiesel.

The moral of the story? Hybrids are a stop-gap, not a real solution, in my opinion. Biodiesel is.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    mitlovmitlov Posts: 130member
    Hold on a second here. Are people sure this isn't a photoshop job? The front grill and headlights look a bit TOO much like those off the 2006 Passat, and the shadows on the front bumper seem to be made by a different light source than the rest of the car has.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mitlov

Hold on a second here. Are people sure this isn't a photoshop job?

The VW Roadster is based on the "Concept R" prototype which was shown on the IAA 2003:

Here is a (german) article on this prototype with many pictures ("Weiter" means "Next" ).