Myst on Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I plan to buy all the myst games but don´t know if all of them will work on macs.

Did all the Myst games ship in combo versions (for both Win and Mac)

Myst Masterpiece is a rework of the first game. Do anyone know if the CD also works on a mac?

What about the Myst Materpiece/Riven combo? Works on mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Just buy the boxed set at your local Apple store. It's like $20 bucks.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    IIRC Myst 1 was written in. . .

Hypercard.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    It's called the 10th anniversary edition and has Masterpiece Riven and Exile.

www.froogle.com is a wonderful thing. (starting at $13)

--B
  • Reply 4 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    AFD is in Denmark, so no Froogle or Apple Store unfortunately. And I don´t seem to be able to find the 10th anniversary thingy here

So the original questions still stands...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I plan to buy all the myst games but don´t know if all of them will work on macs.

Did all the Myst games ship in combo versions (for both Win and Mac)

Myst Masterpiece is a rework of the first game. Do anyone know if the CD also works on a mac?

What about the Myst Materpiece/Riven combo? Works on mac?

It's up on ebay for $13. Worldwide shipping is available (and will probably cost about the same as the games).

Or you can buy it from www.ubisoft.co.uk (the developer) and they'll ship it to you for less from England.

As for your original questions, I believe the 1st two are Classic and the 3rd is OS X native. As for the anniversary edition, the dvds are combo versions. The originals were not. You'll need to find mac-specific ones.

Ebay has some interesting Myst shit people have lumped together. And froogle will work for dansk, you just have to look for worldwide shipping as an option. I get hella shit off US sites out here (the US Apple Store, however, requires a US credit card). And when that fails, look to the UK.

I only played the first, but if I were to play it again, I would play Real Myst instead of Masterpiece.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I have them, the Masterpiece Edition. I gave up trying to get them to work.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

IIRC Myst 1 was written in. . .

Hypercard.

Totally. It was a fucking amazing achievement. Hypercard and Quicktime. The game that really set CD-ROM games on its path to greatness. Other Myst clones came and went, although some were quite interesting in concept and narrative... Journeyman Project and 7th Guest/ 11th Hour comes to mind...

In Myst 1, they used only 256 colors...!!

Each 'Age' had its own specially dithered-to-256 palette. :thumbs:
  • Reply 8 of 11
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Myst I: OS9/PC (realMyst is OSX native)

Myst II (Riven): OS9/PC

Myst III (Exile): OS9/OSX/PC

Myst Uru: PC only

Myst IV (Revelation): OSX/PC

Myst V (End of Ages): OSX/PC (unreleased)
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Myst I: OS9/PC (realMyst is OSX native)

Myst II (Riven): OS9/PC

Myst III (Exile): OS9/OSX/PC

Myst Uru: PC only

Myst IV (Revelation): OSX/PC

Myst V (End of Ages): OSX/PC (unreleased)

Oh crap Riven is only OS9/PC.

One of the BEST photorealistic graphics in the entire Myst series. When I first fired it up on PC what, 8 years ago(?) I was like, the only way I can 'deal' with this is if I assumed they built some theme park/ location set out somewhere and filmed the game there.

The puzzles did my head in though, particularly the frog stuff. Deep mysterious caverns with the music and all that, was cool. Never made it to the rebel hive. Didn't go very far with the lake puzzle thing

Hey.... I wonder where I can pick up Riven and a walkthrough and play it on my Pentium 2.

Myst URU: kind of interesting, but weird. I never was able to get back into Myst after Myst 1 and 2.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

The puzzles did my head in though, particularly the frog stuff.

Grr! Those damned frogs!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Grr! Those damned frogs!

heh thank gawds... i thought i was the only one that was like WTF is this frog shite?