Apple, Gap to launch iTunes promo

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Exclusive -- Apple Computer and clothing retailer the Gap are preparing to kick-off a promotion that will offer Gap customers free iTunes songs for trying on clothing at its retail stores, AppleInsider has learned.

Word of the partnership comes just ahead of the back-to-school shopping season, where millions of consumers traditionally flood US shopping malls and clothing retailers in search of the latest fall fashions.

Specifically, industry sources say the San Francisco, Calif.-based clothing retailer will begin handing out free iTunes song downloads to customers who are willing to try on any pair of Gap blue jeans.

The Gap, which operates nearly 3000 stores worldwide, will run the promotion in all US retail stores that are not designated as "early back-to-school" locations from Aug. 8th through the end of the month. Stores that are designated as early back-to-school stores may start the promotion at an earlier date.

Each customer who tries on a pair of jeans will be rewarded with a little green iTunes card that includes a code redeemable for one free song from the iTunes Music Store, sources said.

Over the last two years, Apple and Pepsi teamed on a similar promotion that randomly placed codes redeemable for free iTunes songs under the caps of specially marked 20 oz and 1-liter Pepsi bottles. The two companies hyped the promotion with television spots that aired during the 2004 and 2005 NFL SuperBowl championship games.

Apple's iTunes Music Store leads the online legal music download industry with over an 80 percent share and just recently surpassed the half-a-billion milestone in songs sold.

Although the iTunes Music Store contributes only a marginal profit for Apple each quarter, it is a major driving force behind sales of the company's ubiquitous iPod digital music players. During the three-month period ending June, Apple announced that it sold over 6 million iPods worldwide.

Meanwhile, Apple's iTunes Music Store currently caters to 19 countries, which combine to reach more than 70 percent of the global music market. On Aug. 4, the company is expected to broaden its iTunes presence when it extends the service to the booming Japanese market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Excellent. Five Gap stores in town = five free iTMS tracks.

http://www.google.com/local?q=gap&near=Austin,+TX
  • Reply 2 of 21
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Interesting .... this is a creative promo. I don't know what clothes have to do with music but hey ... whatever works.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by amac4me

Interesting .... this is a creative promo. I don't know what clothes have to do with music but hey ... whatever works.

What do Apple and Pepsi have to do with eachother? No Sculley doesn´t count
  • Reply 4 of 21
    haha...guess ill be visiting my local gap stores very frequently...too bad i don't shop there anymore, i bought all of my clothes there when i was a kid...ehh umm smaller kid/child...
  • Reply 5 of 21
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Didn't someone from the Gap used to be on Apple's board until recently?

Anyway, I'd gladly pay MORE than .99 to AVOID having to try on clothes!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

Excellent. Five Gap stores in town = five free iTMS tracks.

http://www.google.com/local?q=gap&near=Austin,+TX

So, you'd rather drive around to five locations instead of paying the $5 for the five songs?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

I'll let you in on a secret:

When you try clothes on in the store, you find out if they really fit well. If they don't, then you don't buy them.

What a concept.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Uh, yeah... the CEO though I forget his name. Apple took a lot of design cues from Gap for their own stores.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Millard Drexler. He's still on the board but has moved on to J. Crew where he is Chairman and CEO.

-K
  • Reply 10 of 21
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I don't wear Gap jeans, but I think I'll be trying on a few pairs.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    And why is this not worldwide???
  • Reply 12 of 21
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

And why is this not worldwide???

It may be. Gap Corp. seemingly refuses to return phone calls. We've only heard from US sources so that is the way we reported on the story. I'll find out more.

Best,

-K
  • Reply 13 of 21
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    This seems to be one of those corporate promotions that's great in the executive eyes but not so much for the store employees eyes. Means a lot more folding, cleaning, etc. But whatever to do to make profit right? I see this as being good all around for Apple and Gap. I just hope they have a window display and proper marketing for this as Gap is great with their advertising and marketing!
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Makes sense to use the GAP, since they can't seem to make the iPod PLAY without a GAP.....

• Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

It may be. Gap Corp. seemingly refuses to return phone calls. We've only heard from US sources so that is the way we reported on the story. I'll find out more.

Best,

-K

Ahh okay, will find out in a couple of weeks then I guess.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

So, you'd rather drive around to five locations instead of paying the $5 for the five songs?

It's called a joke. Look it up.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

It's called a joke. Look it up.

Actually, I'd call it a lame joke. Look it up

Now, that joke about the ipod always including a gap. Now THAT was a joke. My love life: One hilarious joke. Using the words "Microsoft" and "Innovation" in the same sentence (without including the words "Apple" or any synonym of "stealing"), now that's a knee-slapping, tear-inducing, kidney-busting, call the paramedics piece of hillarity.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

espically if your going to have to pay 5 bucks in gas now days!

Why Gap? sorry GAP fans but I hate a lot of there clothes.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

espically if your going to have to pay 5 bucks in gas now days!

Keep in mind that this isn't an Apple promotion, its a Gap promotion. So the reasoning is simple, try to get people into the stores. (Just like the pepsi promo, try to get people to buy pepsi - not that it helped much).

Plus, popular stores and products already sell. They don't need to spend the money on promotions.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

I think it's a good fit. They have a young-ish, trendy crowd and the Gap aesthetic seems to match Apple's.