PowerBook: what one thing would you change?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    ngmapplengmapple Posts: 117member
    OLED (Organic LED display), lower power (longer battery life) than LCD, much better picture (no washed out backlight effect or backlight flickering, heck no backlight!), for instance you can achieve very high contrast (black looks black not gray). 16x9 (HDTV) aspect ratio.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ngmapple

OLED (Organic LED display), lower power (longer battery life) than LCD, much better picture (no washed out backlight effect or backlight flickering, heck no backlight!), for instance you can achieve very high contrast (black looks black not gray). 16x9 (HDTV) aspect ratio.

Not ready yet: short life expectation (2-3 years) and hight price
  • Reply 63 of 75
    run cooler! that's it!

Gets annoying how hot the wrist area gets/the belly. The ibooks seem to run alot cooler...
  • Reply 64 of 75
    ngmapplengmapple Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Not ready yet: short life expectation (2-3 years) and hight price

I don't believe that's the case I've heard OLED life spans are significantly longer than LCD, simply because LED's have a much longer life than a flourescent backlight.

In terms of price send a large scale order to a factory in China or Taiwan and they'll be churning them out for 10 bucks a piece a month later. Cell phone OLED displays are already in mass production at extremely low cost margins.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

I don't believe that's the case I've heard OLED life spans are significantly longer than LCD, simply because LED's have a much longer life than a flourescent backlight.

In terms of price send a large scale order to a factory in China or Taiwan and they'll be churning them out for 10 bucks a piece a month later. Cell phone OLED displays are already in mass production at extremely low cost margins.

Yes some OLEDs are here and some OLEDs are coming and they are cool (literally). Will still be a while (years) for full color high res, but they will be the next ubiquitous display standard eventually.
  • Reply 66 of 75
    squozensquozen Posts: 66member
    Quote:

They're still having issues with blue fading quickly, as far as I'm aware.
  • Reply 67 of 75
    kossikossi Posts: 5member
    Make the trackpad click a-la the iPod click wheel and eliminate the other button. Click center, left, right, up, and down with center being the default click button and the others assignable would stop people's griping about not enough buttons...
  • Reply 68 of 75
    saschkesaschke Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kossi

Make the trackpad click a-la the iPod click wheel and eliminate the other button. Click center, left, right, up, and down with center being the default click button and the others assignable would stop people's griping about not enough buttons...

that is - pure genius

edit: but, maybe just use a trackpad area which has "pushable" areas on the edges, without a button in the middle. the manufacturing quality has to be really good then, though...
  • Reply 69 of 75
    (1) better CPU

(2) better screen quality

(3) less heating
  • Reply 70 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Squozen

They're still having issues with blue fading quickly, as far as I'm aware.

Researchers for various companies have been able to make long-lasting blue elements lasting from 10,000 hours to 80,000 hours for about a year, it seems.

One example of OLEDs not burning out that I will cite is Sony's Japan-only VZ90 handheld. It has a 4" diametre OLED 480x320 screen that displays full colour, and it's been on the market for some time now. I have not heard of any compaints of any of the elements failing or of reduced brightness. Of course, the manufacture of OLEDs in the laptop display size range is probably more complicated.
  • Reply 71 of 75
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zackepceo

Researchers for various companies have been able to make long-lasting blue elements lasting from 10,000 hours to 80,000 hours for about a year, it seems.

One example of OLEDs not burning out that I will cite is Sony's Japan-only VZ90 handheld. It has a 4" diametre OLED 480x320 screen that displays full colour, and it's been on the market for some time now. I have not heard of any compaints of any of the elements failing or of reduced brightness. Of course, the manufacture of OLEDs in the laptop display size range is probably more complicated.

Size limitations may not that big of a deal with OLED. They use ink jet technology to build the panels which allows them to print not only to different substrates, but also allows them to print large areas. Making a large size OLED will very likely be a lot easier that making say, I dunno,

a 46" Samsung LCD Flat Screen TV with native 1920 x 1080 resolution (like the one in our game room at work).

The future is bright.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    Better CPU, better grapichs card, longer battery time.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Now that I have on myself: keeping the heat down. Wow does that 15" get hot sitting on your lap.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

Now that I have on myself: keeping the heat down. Wow does that 15" get hot sitting on your lap.

I second that notion... though the warmth is very welcome in the winter
  • Reply 75 of 75
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Two quick points:

to those who say right-click: download iScroll 2. If you click with two fingers on the trackpad it will read as a right click. I use it and it works well.

Secondly, my Powerbook won't wake up from sleep when I attach an external keyboard and hook up to my TV. I hook up to the TV using the mini-DVI port to S-Video. Is that why it won't wake from sleep? If so, how can it tell it's attached to an external monitor and not a TV?