iMac G5 17 " helpppppppppppppppp

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi guys I need a second opinion for the iMAc of my sister it's a 17" iMac G5 and it HAS fan issues whenever it reaches 90 degress de mac shuts off,we have been trying to repair it but here,we cannot contact apple because we bought it through a friend in MIAMI and we dont have the receipt,and well the guy doesnt want to give us some support,(bad friends),so please guys we are stuck here,would you please be so kind to tell me if you have heard of something that i can do by myself to repair it ,i dont know maybe replace a part or something,because we have tried everything with apple and even with the guys who repair it here ,and they say that they cannot touch it because it was not bought here(Venezuela).I dont know maybe a part that reheats or something

please any help will be welcome

thanks

danie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    baranovichbaranovich Posts: 184member
    I'm not sure if you'd be comfortable with this, but I'd say crack open the case and take a look at the fan. Make sure its plugged in properly. If it is defective I'd order a new one and replace it yourself, no need to involve Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    the fans are working,i even reset the SMU ,cleaned it,did everything and nothing,it keeps on overheating
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    hey you probably have seen this page right?

http://xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMacG....html#storytop
  • Reply 4 of 8
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    How old is the machine?

Apple has a 1 year WORLDWIDE policy. It does matter where it was purchased and where it is now, you should be covered.

The only issue that I have ever felt is trying to register online when you have bought from another country, and a bit of grief to verify when it was manufactured. Other than that completely covered (thankfully!)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Omega

How old is the machine?

Apple has a 1 year WORLDWIDE policy. It does matter where it was purchased and where it is now, you should be covered.

The only issue that I have ever felt is trying to register online when you have bought from another country, and a bit of grief to verify when it was manufactured. Other than that completely covered (thankfully!)

\ i thought that was only on laptops and not desktops?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

\ i thought that was only on laptops and not desktops?

Could be right, I have a PB.

I blame my alcohol addiction, no, account hi-jack, yeah that's it, account hi-jack.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Yeah, that's only for laptops.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Yeah, that's only for laptops.

Also for iPods ~ worldwide warranty. :thumbs: