Do your local radio stations suck?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
With the exception of one station, my local stations suck big time. The only time I listen to local stations is when I am driving in my car. Thank god I have satellite radio at the house.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I am thankful for my iPod and podcasting. I listen to interesting podcasts in the car during my commute every day.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Seems like radio has really managed to commit corporate suicide, even more than network television and the music industry, but for the same reason: letting the bean counters take over and running a creative enterprise like it was a meat packing plant.

Automated, narrowly "demographic" focused playlists, drawn from the pool of high profile crap the record companies think is marketable--what's to like? Add to that canned on-air "personalities", endless ad blocks and "local flavor" that was produced in studios a thousand miles away, and you get people fleeing to other formats.

I remember the glory years of free form FM out here in the Bay Area. Wildly eclectic play lists hosted by local people who really loved the music and had an encyclopedic knowledge of its history and lore. KSAN back in the day was how I found out about music I hadn't heard before. It was how I found out how the music I did know about connected to older stuff, or brand new stuff.

Pod casts and satellite and the web. See ya, loser corporate radio.

• Reply 3 of 18
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Since Northeastern PA has a lot of colleges, I can always turn to college radio when the local top-40 stations suck.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Since Northeastern PA has a lot of colleges, I can always turn to college radio when the local top-40 stations suck.

Yeah, same here, but then you always get the two hour reggae block or the obscure thrash punk enthusiast.....
  • Reply 5 of 18
    We have a great station here.

http://www.ksevradio.com

• Reply 6 of 18
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Yeah, same here, but then you always get the two hour reggae block or the obscure thrash punk enthusiast.....

Exactly, stuff you'll never hear on mainstream radio. College stations and the last locally owned & operated mainstream radio station left in my area (WCCC) are the only channels I can listen to anymore. The rest of the channels are pretty much all owned by Clearchannnel.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Radio? Never heard of it...

Is that some kind of new P2P program?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Radio? Never heard of it...

Is that some kind of new P2P program?

Heh. The only time I listen to radio is when I'm in someone else's car, or at a business where the radio is on in the background. I stopped listening to it on my own after I got an in-dash CD player for my car (c.1997).
  • Reply 9 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'm a nerd, but I only listen to public radio.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    And public radio seems to be making more and more of their shows available as podcasts, so you can build your own programming day (and maybe skip "New Trends in Sri Lankan Horticulture Roundup With Your Host Flan Vandergroot").
  • Reply 11 of 18
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I have 1 station I like and I can't even get it in my house.

At home I listen to a handful of internet radio stations that kick butt.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Nope

Clear Channel crapola here.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    radio in northern indiana is the suck. If you can get chicago stations it's a better.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    The only FM stations I listen to are NPR on WUOM from Ann Arbor, and "The Ticket" Sports Talk on WQTX from Lansing. I usually listen to Rush Limbaugh on AM 760 WJR if I am driving while its on. Otherwise I have online streams of NPR or Rush or some other sports talk station when I'm at work. The remainder of my listening comes from my iPod.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I guess it kind of depends on what kind of music that you like to listen to. Also, the closer you are to a major city, the more choices you are likely to have. My personal favorite:

Classic Rock -

WARW 94.7 (Washington D.C. Metro Area)
  • Reply 16 of 18
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Does anyone else hate this new Jack/Mike/whatever format? It's suppose to mimic the idea of your ipod shuffle or computer library on shuffle. They just play "random" songs, mixing and matching formats and eras. It's total shit and I don't think I ever keep it on for more than one song. The difference between my ipod on shuffle and the radio on shuffle is that I like everything on my ipod.

Anyway, Yea all I listen to on the radio is WFNX (the only big "independent" station around here) which is basically alternative/pop/rock and some college radio stations, but they are hit or miss too.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

And public radio seems to be making more and more of their shows available as podcasts, so you can build your own programming day (and maybe skip "New Trends in Sri Lankan Horticulture Roundup With Your Host Flan Vandergroot").

That sounds interesting actually.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    yes, for many many years. detroit has sucked most of the time. i listen to a great college radio station in windsor, ca