$50 iBook 12" : Note Location Change

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For y'all that are planning to pick up your $50 12" iBook g3:

http://henrico.k12.va.us/ibooksale/index.html

"The Henrico County Public Schools laptop sale location has changed. It will be held at Richmond International Raceway at 600 E. Laburnum Ave. instead of the Dabbs House Road warehouse. The new site will offer more parking, security and a larger facility in order to accommodate public interest.

The sale will still be Aug. 9. The main gate will open at 7 a.m. and the sale begins at 9 a.m. Overnight parking and camping will be prohibited.

The same guidelines will apply to the sale. One thousand laptops will be available on a first-come first-serve basis ? limit one per person. The cost is $50 each. Cash or personal checks will be accepted."

(thanks to xlr8yourmac.com for the link)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Were these iBooks donated to the school by Apple?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Were these iBooks donated to the school by Apple?

i don't think so. it was part of a 4 year contract or something originally. what the terms of the contract are, i be not so sure...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I dunno, but I found this earlier tonight:

http://henrico.k12.va.us/ibook/

Anyone in Richmond gonna hook a brotha up? I'll pay you for your time/effort...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

I dunno, but I found this earlier tonight:

http://henrico.k12.va.us/ibook/

Anyone in Richmond gonna hook a brotha up? I'll pay you for your time/effort...

hmmm i have a friend doing his PhD at Duke in NC.

according to teh google maps,

richmond is bloody 100+ miles away from both Durham NC and Washington DC

time for any appleInsiders living in the Richmond area itself to

re-pre-sent...

think of it as sending a message to the school board that has decided to go with Dell... show them and TELL them that they're gonna regret it... look at all the people from around the US and the world that would still put in all this effort to buy these 'outdated laptops' that has been through hell at the hands of the students

• Reply 5 of 12
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    My sister (36 miles away) is going, but she's trying to keep it a bit of a surprise for her two sons, so she's only taking her husband.

I'll ask if there's the possibility that she can bring more people - but don't get your hopes up!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I know it's only $50 and a couple of hours of someone's time...but what can this machine realistically do?

I mean it's a G3 500 after all. Will surfing speeds be decent? What's the max RAM on this model and will replacing the hard drive make it much snappier?

I need to know so perhaps I can convince my brother to make the drive and pick one up.

This might be my laptop tie-over needs since last week's new iBook releases were so lame.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I know it's only $50 and a couple of hours of someone's time...but what can this machine realistically do?

I mean it's a G3 500 after all. Will surfing speeds be decent? What's the max RAM on this model and will replacing the hard drive make it much snappier?

I need to know so perhaps I can convince my brother to make the drive and pick one up.

This might be my laptop tie-over needs since last week's new iBook releases were so lame.

I've owned one of these machines and while it wasn't a speed demon by any means it's certainly capable of handling email, office, web, and photos. Hell you could even use iMovie if you wanted.

They are decent machines- and the battery life (with a new battery) kicks total ass 'cause they're using a slower G3.

Mine was a 500MHz, 768MB RAM, 20GB HD, DVD, Airport. Now without a laptop I wish that I still had it- great little machine.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

I've owned one of these machines and while it wasn't a speed demon by any means it's certainly capable of handling email, office, web, and photos. Hell you could even use iMovie if you wanted.

They are decent machines- and the battery life (with a new battery) kicks total ass 'cause they're using a slower G3.

Mine was a 500MHz, 768MB RAM, 20GB HD, DVD, Airport. Now without a laptop I wish that I still had it- great little machine.

mod in a 5400rpm drive (i did into my 933mhz iBook g4) with 8 or 16(?) mb cache and that will definitely make things snappier... if a little warmer, but not by much. the newer 2.5" 5400rpm drives can do some good stuff with power consumption, and my new 5400rpm drive is QUIETER than the original 4200rpm drive.

edit: shop around a bit to check specs and noise levels etc if you are planning to mod in a 5400rpm 2.5" drive. unless you got a powerbook g4 though, 7200rpm notebook drive will be overkill
  • Reply 9 of 12
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    if anyone wants to pick me one up... I'd be much obliged! (Postage would be to England, but I'd Paypal you all costs before you sent of course.)

I guess probably wouldn't happen if it's one per person though

Amorya
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

if anyone wants to pick me one up... I'd be much obliged! (Postage would be to England, but I'd Paypal you all costs before you sent of course.)

I guess probably wouldn't happen if it's one per person though

Amorya

i reckon we'll see a bunch of these pop up on eBay the day itself. there'll be some enterprising people that will cruise over, arrange for their friends or something to each buy one, and then the 'ringleader' will put em up on eBay
  • Reply 11 of 12
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Who wants to hook me up with an iBook?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    The details have changed again:

Quote:

NOTICE - Public sale of iBooks for the general community has been moved from August 9th to August 16th and now the iBooks will only be available for residents and taxpayers of Henrico County.

Link