Powerbook Button Upgrade Idea?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The click on the PB G4 is a solid button. That should be upgraded to the iPod scroll wheel sensor like on a 3G iPod. Therefore a click down would click as usual. Clicking down and holding, while dragging your thumb in either direction would represent a "right click" or even a "third click" on the left.

Or if you're even more imaginative, it could be completely analog. Imagine a high resolution where you could actually click, hold down, then drag the file you're holding on to any layer of the screen. Imagine the Finder then! (i'm thinking in columns mode, and probably only horizontally).

[Some of this could be implemented immediately, perhaps as a strong opponent to VW]

Anyways...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Not a bad idea... but please be a little more descriptive in your thread headers in future.... Ive changed the header for you this time around!

Thanks

b.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ngmapplengmapple Posts: 117member
    Danosaur I sent Apple a similar idea almost a year ago. Apple then patented it, so expect to see it if Apple ever updates the PowerBook (they better not use Yonah as a cpu, why put a 32-bit cpu that's slow by todays standards in tommorow's machine?) They're taking it a bit further than just a clickpad, they're going to put a hole where the current trackpad is and allow one to pop an iPod in there to use as a trackpad (of course it'll have to be a revised iPod as the current iPods have no trackpad dead center). I'm glad other people are looking for the same things.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ngmapple,

If Apple patented a powerbook that jumped off cliffs would you claim it as a definite future Apple product too..?

Don't take every patent as a sign of things to come...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I'd love to find out whatever it is ngmapple is smoking, it's got to be a real mind-bender.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Wow, just wow.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Therefore a click down would click as usual. Clicking down and holding, while dragging your thumb in either direction would represent a "right click" or even a "third click" on the left.

Synaptics touch pads on Intel Notebook PCs can do the exact thing you're describing and a lot more.

It will be implemented on the Mactel notebooks.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Why doesn't Apple just shove in a full-size joystick and cut a hole in the screen to accomodate it...sort of like the pencil-eraser, but a lot bigger.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I am thinking about a full immersion experience... why not a hole big enough to put your entire hand in....
  • Reply 9 of 11
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    If you're really talented you could give your Powerbook an orgasm.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

If you're really talented you could give your Powerbook an orgasm.

...and for the woman, a fallice-shaped joystick...really gives a whole new meaning to the term...
  • Reply 11 of 11

OK, back on topic....