turning off LCD of iBook while connected to ext monitor

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Easy question. When I connect the iBook to an external monitor via the RGB(VGA) port, how can I turn off the LCD display in OSX?

Note: In OS9, I found that I can simply turn down the brightness all the way in which case the LCD would switch off (go black) and I can use the external monitor exclusively.

However, in OSX when I try the same trick, as soon as the brightness bottoms out to turn off the LCD, it also cuts signal out to the external monitor so both are off.

Since OS9 can do it, I'm sure there should be a way OSX can (seems like software, not hardware). Any utilities or other tricks for doing this out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    Try connecting an external mouse or keyboard to the iBook, then close the lid (which should put it to sleep). Then wait a few seconds and wake it up by clicking the mouse or hitting the space bar on the keyboard. Then lift the lid and voila... it should be running on just the external monitor... can't say I've tried it on an iBook yet, though!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Evil Ed:

<strong>Try connecting an external mouse or keyboard to the iBook, then close the lid (which should put it to sleep). Then wait a few seconds and wake it up by clicking the mouse or hitting the space bar on the keyboard. Then lift the lid and voila... it should be running on just the external monitor... can't say I've tried it on an iBook yet, though!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just tried that on my iBook. Doesn't work. It wakes up the iBook then the iBook's screen goes on for a second but since it's still close it just goes back to sleep.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Just checked and it seems fixed in 10.1.3. Now when the brightness is turned down all the way in OSX, the LCD goes off but the monitor stays on.

However, running Whitecap in iTunes puts the brightness back up by 1 notch turning the LCD back on for some strange reason.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by rrabu:

<strong>Just checked and it seems fixed in 10.1.3. Now when the brightness is turned down all the way in OSX, the LCD goes off but the monitor stays on.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep. I tried it out a few days ago and was shocked that I was finally able to do that. Another great thing with the 10.1.3 update.