Will Intel PowerMacs = Smaller Cases

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've heard that the Intel chips use less power than the G5s. Which should result in less heat to dissipate. Will this result in smaller desktop cases for the PowerMacs? IMHO, the current cases are way too large..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    One would assume so and I hope so. The current case is monstrous. I'm sure the Intel PowerMac's case will be redesigned and trimmed down.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Err, yes, we all should think so:

The transition kit uses a 3.6 GHz P4 660, and look at all of the space! Furthermore, it looks like Apple is going to use Intel's power-conserving Pentium-M lineup of CPUs and the next-gen of power-conserving CPUs, which will have lower power consumption than the P4.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Intel chips "may" use less power. Current Intel chips do not consume less power than 970fx chips.

I'm hoping a smaller case is in order as well.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I agree...

Hopefully the cooler running Pentium-M derived desktops will allow us to have a case with:

- More than 2 hard drive bays

- More than 1 optical drive bay
  • Reply 5 of 8
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    PowerMac won't get any smaller. It'll already the smallest dual processor workstation chassis. A single processor PowerMac light may not be out of the question though.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

PowerMac won't get any smaller. It'll already the smallest dual processor workstation chassis. A single processor PowerMac light may not be out of the question though.

Wrong.

http://www.iwill.net/product_2.asp?p_id=36&sp=Y

The iWill ZMAXdp has dual Opterons sockets (quad-processor system with dualcore chips) and is about the size of a large toaster. Smaller systems, in general, are actually more efficient for cooling because of the well-known surface area versus volume phenomena.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Anyone know why there's 2-3 week delay on 2.7Ghz machines ? I just bought one last week , should be delivered in two days , i'd hate to recieve it and be obsolete 1st day.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I hope the cases stay the same, and get better equiped is what I hope. Use the extra room to make it possible to have more options for the user. That case is normal for a Highend 3D Workstation Class Computer. It just doesn't have the options available. Their user base is growing, and they could market a desktop, and a workstation for 2 levels of professional users, and 2 levels of gamers for that matter. Although, I doulbt the games will ever make it to the Mac. But, I guess they could with Apples expanding community, and the intruge of Mac;'s running on intel for developers.