can't wake up my imac with my new wireless mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I just bought a new wireless keyboard and mouse as well as the usb adapter. Everything works fine, except that when my imac go to sleep I can't wake him up with the keyboard or mouse. I have to use my old mouse plug in it and click it. I'd like to know if there is any set up I need to do in order to make it works.

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    you should be able to go to system prefences, click on bluetooth and check the box that say 'allow to wake from sleep' or something like that.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Wake from sleep and USB devices can be troublesome.

It has to do with the USB power specification... when asleep, the device won't be powered. A wired device can still wake the computer by closing a circuit. However, a USB hub or bluetooth device won't remain powered and thus can pass a signal on from a connected device to the computer.

There are some games that manufacturers play to get around this but none of them work perfectly. What kind of device are you hooking up?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Wake from sleep and USB devices can be troublesome.

It has to do with the USB power specification... when asleep, the device won't be powered. A wired device can still wake the computer by closing a circuit. However, a USB hub or bluetooth device won't remain powered and thus can pass a signal on from a connected device to the computer.

There are some games that manufacturers play to get around this but none of them work perfectly. What kind of device are you hooking up?

The devices are besides a wireless keyboard and mouse, an epson stylus 740i printer and an external hard drive Laclie, and an airport extreme base.

When I go to systeme preference then bluetooth I see the option #allow bluetooth device to wake up this computer but it doesn't let me check the box.

Anyway to wake up my computer without plug in my old mouse?

Thank you
  • Reply 4 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Press the power-on button on the iMac. That will wake it up from sleep if it's sleeping, and put it to sleep if it's awake.