Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

Sexy

Whats the cd for?
  • Reply 3 of 56
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Whats the cd for?

Required software to make the mouse work fully, but the basic functions of the mouse work out of the box.

-K
  • Reply 4 of 56
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    That thing is freakin' HUGE!

Heh, imagine that with a 12" powerbook...
  • Reply 5 of 56
    I'd like to see the Mighty mouse next to a standard Apple one-button mouse. I'd also like to hear from people what it's actually like to use because I'm not convinced by the blurb on Apple's site that it really is 'a better mouse' than what has previously existed.

Anyway - why has no-one ever put a scroll ball on a mouse before? Those have been around since the earliest laptops. The solution seemed obvious to me, and what has happened to putting an iPod style scroll pad on the mouse?

I'll stick with my one-button mouse until I can get to my local Apple store and test one of these out!
  • Reply 6 of 56
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    How does one hold the mouse if the top is touch sensitive? Wouldn't you be constantly clicking it by mistake?
  • Reply 7 of 56
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

How does one hold the mouse if the top is touch sensitive? Wouldn't you be constantly clicking it by mistake?

you'd have to tap it to make it click. just resting your finger will not activate it. Think of the 3G ipod buttons. Same technology.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    looks less than intuitive. I'd be interested to see the audio feedback. I too wonder where the Bluetooth version is.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    Scrolling balls have been around long time! Before I saw the light and went Mac I used a Logitech Trackball mouse. Admittedly the ball was nearly a golf ball in size as opposed to the Apple ball.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by schalliol

looks less than intuitive. I'd be interested to see the audio feedback. I too wonder where the Bluetooth version is.

it's probably because all those sensors or something would eat batteries like there's no tomorrow.

edit: or the speaker inside it.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by schalliol

Wow, how do you see audio? That must be cool!
  • Reply 12 of 56
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Questions on the driver software:[list=1][*]Can you disable the right-click?[*]Can you swap the left and right-clicks (for those lefties out there)?[*]Will it help me get women to go out with me?[/list=1]
  • Reply 13 of 56
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Questions on the driver software:[list=1][*]Can you disable the right-click?[*]Can you swap the left and right-clicks (for those lefties out there)?[*]Will it help me get women to go out with me?[/list=1]

Yes to all three You can disable ANY button(s) you want--AND you can disable scrolling... or you can choose to have vertical-only or horizontal-only scrolling. All chosen separately in Prefs for each user

And to clear up a myth: there IS a physical click-hinge, much like current mice. The sensors are just to tell WHICH side you meant to click.

Some questions I have:

1. Do the side buttons have a physical click you can feel, or only an electronic sound?

2. Are they so sensitive that it's easy to trigger the "squeeze" by accident?

3. Does pressing down on the ball have a physical click you can feel, or only an electronic sound? Does pressing the ball make the whole top shell move down?

4. Is the ball-click so sensitive that it's easy to click it by accident?

5. Can you rest two fingers on the two "virtual" button regions, and click EITHER one without lifting the other finger away first? (I'm hoping it doesn't just sense that your finger is "touching," but rather can tell which finger is touching HARDER.)

6. If you are ALREADY holding one of the two "buttons," can you somehow trigger the other button too? (Like for games with 2-button firing.) Could you hold left-click down and then do a right-double-click, for instance, without losing the left function still being held down?

7. And if #6 does work, does it work in both directions? Hold left first, or hold right first? (Again--for games. The ball and the squeeze don't sound ideal for alt-firing)

TIA!
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Quote:

1. Yes, you can configure both the buttons to be left clicking.

2. You can set the buttons either way and set the ball and side grip buttons to activate Exposé / Dashboard and other functions. The mouse is designed to fit left and right hands.

This button configuration is what the CD that comes with the mouse is all about.

3. Only if they're Mac geeks - I wouldn't advise taking the mouse with you to clubs.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

it's probably because all those sensors or something would eat batteries like there's no tomorrow.

edit: or the speaker inside it.

From the design page:

Mighty Mouse even sounds as good as it feels. The audio feedback built into Mighty Mouse provides an aural sensation that responds to your movements. A tiny speaker inside Mighty Mouse produces button-clicking and Scroll Ball-rolling sound effects.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

From the design page:

Mighty Mouse even sounds as good as it feels. The audio feedback built into Mighty Mouse provides an aural sensation that responds to your movements. A tiny speaker inside Mighty Mouse produces button-clicking and Scroll Ball-rolling sound effects.

Bet the rolling sound would get insanely irritating after a few minutes. No way to disable that it seems!
  • Reply 17 of 56
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

1)Yes (by assigning both left and right to primary).

2)Yes

3)No

-K
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickt42uk

Bet the rolling sound would get insanely irritating after a few minutes. No way to disable that it seems!

You are assuming that Apple rolled this out without Steve Jobs personally testing it.

All is fine.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Oh good lord.

All it takes now is a Newton revival...
  • Reply 20 of 56
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

1)Yes (by assigning both left and right to primary).

2)Yes

3)No

-K

No!? Geez...what good is this mouse anyways.