First photos of Apple's Mighty Mouse

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    ripkordripkord Posts: 78member
    I think it owns, * runs to buy one* but where in the UK HIGHSTREET?
  • Reply 22 of 56
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    Quote:

1. Do the side buttons have a physical click you can feel, or only an electronic sound?

Not sure about a sound (I'm running it on 10.3.9 currently), but there is no "click" per se. The 2 pads just "give" slightly.

Quote:

2. Are they so sensitive that it's easy to trigger the "squeeze" by accident?

Not at all. You have to conciously squeeze them.

Quote:

3. Does pressing down on the ball have a physical click you can feel, or only an electronic sound? Does pressing the ball make the whole top shell move down?

The ball does not push down into the mouse. It acts just like the right and left clicks, except in the center. What I mean by this is that the main hinge of the mouse is activated.

Quote:

4. Is the ball-click so sensitive that it's easy to click it by accident?

Not at all. It has to be a full-on press to make the hinge click.

Quote:

5. Can you rest two fingers on the two "virtual" button regions, and click EITHER one without lifting the other finger away first? (I'm hoping it doesn't just sense that your finger is "touching," but rather can tell which finger is touching HARDER.)

Looks like when both fingers are on the mouse, it registers as a left-click.

Quote:

6. If you are ALREADY holding one of the two "buttons," can you somehow trigger the other button too? (Like for games with 2-button firing.) Could you hold left-click down and then do a right-double-click, for instance, without losing the left function still being held down?

No. There is only 1 hinge mechanism for all "three" buttons.

Quote:

7. And if #6 does work, does it work in both directions? Hold left first, or hold right first? (Again--for games. The ball and the squeeze don't sound ideal for alt-firing)

Nope.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Yeah, after all, i was pretty damn sure apple

would come up with such a kick ass beast.

Bluetooth, anyone.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Thanks for the answers!

It sounds like you have to lift your left finger AWAY from the mouse or you can't right-click. The mouse does NOT know you're pressing harder with one finger and merely "resting" the other.

Too bad--that would have been a better solution. Having to get in the habit of lifting a finger is going to bother many buyers.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1636362
  • Reply 25 of 56
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Having to get in the habit of lifting a finger is going to bother many buyers.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1636362

time to get some exercise. Apple looks after your fingers health as well.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickt42uk

I'd like to see the Mighty mouse next to a standard Apple one-button mouse.

Me too. And as much as I'd love one of these new mice, I don't think I'll pick one up until there's a bluetooth model.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    $50.... that's what I paid for my MX1000, and it's as-good-as USB wireless (55% better refresh rate than bluetooth) and has the best sensor on the market.

Nice attempt by Apple though, shows they really know how to put a new spin on existing technology, even if it is inferior.

That whole lifting the finger thing is giving me a migraine just thinking about it.. I've used a mouse for 18 years, I'm not going to change.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by max_naylor

Oh good lord.

All it takes now is a Newton revival...

Cheers to that!

Give all of your PC friends an iPod and Mighty Mouse and they will be all set to switch when Vista comes out all buggy in 2007!!

$49 is actually a great price and I assume the shell design will basically last forever compared to all of the mechanics of scroll wheels and mechanical buttons!

I was hoping for a clickwheel on this, but maybe the little button will be easy to use.

disco, how do you vertical scroll a long document most efficiently? Do you just keep tweaking the little button? Hmmm, I won't go there. My biggest issue with scroll wheels was the need to grind thru pages with my finger like I was grating cheese.

Lastly, I wish Apple would go back to translucent graphite rather than make everything so white.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    amazing
  • Reply 30 of 56
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

$50.... that's what I paid for my MX1000, and it's as-good-as USB wireless (55% better refresh rate than bluetooth) and has the best sensor on the market.

Nice attempt by Apple though, shows they really know how to put a new spin on existing technology, even if it is inferior.

That whole lifting the finger thing is giving me a migraine just thinking about it.. I've used a mouse for 18 years, I'm not going to change.

Yeah, the the MX1000's sensitivity is the absolute top of the line. I bet the MM is just reusing the optical sensor from the other one.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    dumb question here: kasper, how did you get your hands on one so fast? are they stocked at an apple store near you?

*rok jealously awaits the apple store, new orleans*

p.s. to any students out there, get it for $5 off via the educational store.

of course, you then have to pay for shipping, so throw in an ibook.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Cheers to that!

Give all of your PC friends an iPod and Mighty Mouse and they will be all set to switch when Vista comes out all buggy in 2007!!

The PC support sounds extremely lame. There is no software, just the standard MS Mouse control panel! (which has no button configuration options)

If you want PC people to buy your products Apple you have to actually give a damn, like you did with iTunes. Mighty Mouse on PC is a poor effort and will not be a big seller.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Yeah, the the MX1000's sensitivity is the absolute top of the line. I bet the MM is just reusing the optical sensor from the other one.

FWIW, owners of the MM are saying it tracks faster than the regular mouse. Too bad Apple's specs don't state this info.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kotatsu

The PC support sounds extremely lame. There is no software, just the standard MS Mouse control panel! (which has no button configuration options)

If you want PC people to buy your products Apple you have to actually give a damn, like you did with iTunes. Mighty Mouse on PC is a poor effort and will not be a big seller.

That won't help sell Macs. As much as some would like all Mac programs to be available on PCs and all peripherals...Apple is in the business of selling hardware...especially Macs (and iPods).
  • Reply 35 of 56
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

That won't help sell Macs. As much as some would like all Mac programs to be available on PCs and all peripherals...Apple is in the business of selling hardware...especially Macs (and iPods).

Damn true
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Apple's new lower info picture for the Mac Mini is a little misleading...

• Reply 37 of 56
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kotatsu

The CD doesn't work on a PC????
  • Reply 38 of 56
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

And what's a mouse - software?

When you release a product as a multi-platform solution, and it's a hardware on top of that, you better fucking include the same control panel you include for Macs because people are not gonna spend $49 on a MM just to realize that it doesn't behave any better than a $3 Dell mouse at their local Radio Shack.

Squeezing, Sensors, Right Click and all the goods work only when implemented through software. If MM uses the same driver as your generic Win32 mouse, and it only has one *physical* button, then it's gonna behave exactly the same as their normal one-button mice.

In which case, why the hell should I pay $49 for it?
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:

[i]

If MM uses the same driver as your generic Win32 mouse, and it only has one *physical* button, then it's gonna behave exactly the same as their normal one-button mice.

In which case, why the hell should I pay $49 for it? [/B]

But it doesn't behave exactly the same as a one-button mouse when plugged into a Win PC. It simply can't be customized. So you have left, right, scroll, scroll-click all working.

Perhaps you meant it's gonna behave exactly the same as their normal PC two-button + clickable scroll wheel mouse?
  • Reply 40 of 56
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    They had them in-stock at the Apple Store. I picked one up at lunch. The Scroll "ball" is remarkably smooth. You can't even really feel it spinning. I'd like to take this puppy apart to see how it ticks.

I'll test it out at home tonight on a machine running Tiger. I'm sure it'll be an even better experience than it's been in 10.3.9.

By default in 10.3.9, clicking the scroll ball engages Expose's "Tile all Windows" command.

As far as the "picking up a finger" issue, I've found it to be very easy to get used to.