First photos of Apple's Mighty Mouse

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Engine Joe

[B]But it doesn't behave exactly the same as a one-button mouse when plugged into a Win PC. It simply can't be customized. So you have left, right, scroll, scroll-click all working.

In order to behave like a normal Win32 mouse, it needs to have 2 separate, physical buttons and one scroll-wheel. It has one physical button and one small eraser like thingy.

Have you tried it in a Win PC? I hope it works as you say, though I doubt it.

Quote:

Perhaps you meant it's gonna behave exactly the same as their normal PC two-button + clickable scroll wheel mouse?

No, read above.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    I haven't tried it on a Win PC yet, no. But users at Arstechnica have, so I'm relying on that until I hear otherwise.

"I'm using it on WinXP now and pretty much all of the functionality is the same as when you first plug it into the Mac without the software - you can right click, left click, and scroll but no squeezy buttons and when you click the scroll ball, the same scroll arrow thing comes up as when you click a scroll wheel on a regular mouse. You can't horizontally scroll in Windows with it, though."

Here's the link:

Ars
  • Reply 43 of 56
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Engine Joe

[B]

"I'm using it on WinXP now and pretty much all of the functionality is the same as when you first plug it into the Mac without the software - you can right click, left click, and scroll but no squeezy buttons and when you click the scroll ball, the same scroll arrow thing comes up as when you click a scroll wheel on a regular mouse. You can't horizontally scroll in Windows with it, though."

As I said before, very lame.

$49 for a standard 3 button mouse? Erm, no.

How hard would it have been to have coded the same control panel for Windows? This is laziness of the highest order. Look at the lengths Logitech go to, they're the standard.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Wow, how do you see audio? That must be cool!

LSD
  • Reply 45 of 56
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickt42uk

I'd like to see the Mighty mouse next to a standard Apple one-button mouse.

From the MacWorld review:

• Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by kotatsu

The PC support sounds extremely lame. There is no software, just the standard MS Mouse control panel! (which has no button configuration options)

If you want PC people to buy your products Apple you have to actually give a damn, like you did with iTunes. Mighty Mouse on PC is a poor effort and will not be a big seller.

Yeah... you can use the one button mouse on a PC too... its nothing new.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

In order to behave like a normal Win32 mouse, it needs to have 2 separate, physical buttons and one scroll-wheel.

Not true. The computer doesn't know WHAT's going on physically.

To behave like a normal mouse, it merely has to send the right SIGNALS for left-click, right-click, middle-click, and scroll up/down.

All USB mice send the same signals for these--and this one is not exception. Whether the signal comes from a physical switch or another kind of switch does not matter. (And things like telling left from right on the sensors are not done by software at all--the mouse handles that and sends the computer the correct signal.)
  • Reply 48 of 56
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

(And things like telling left from right on the sensors are not done by software at all--the mouse handles that and sends the computer the correct signal.)

And how does the mouse send the correct signal?
  • Reply 49 of 56
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Firmware.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Apple's mice have always hurt my hand after extended (and by extended, I mean average) use.

I wish Apple had chosen a more ergonomic shape for their first dual-click mouse, even though the current is probably more aesthetically pleasing than any design that would actually be comfortable . Oh well.

That being said, I might get it anyway just because it matches my laptop better than my old silver & black MouseMan Traveler. Will have to try it out first.

blech
  • Reply 51 of 56
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Maybe I misunderstand your question, but the signal for a left-click (and other common actions) is completely standardized. There's nothing difficult about sending that signal down the wire. Mice, trackballs, Wacom pens--all do at least that much even without drivers or software support.

The chips in the Mighty Mouse detect a click, and determine (with no help from the computer needed) whether it's left, right, or middle. The mouse then sends the click signal to the computer. The computer doesn't know how or why that click was generated--it's still just a click to the computer.
  • Reply 52 of 56
  • Reply 53 of 56
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kotatsu

As I said before, very lame.

$49 for a standard 3 button mouse? Erm, no.

How hard would it have been to have coded the same control panel for Windows? This is laziness of the highest order. Look at the lengths Logitech go to, they're the standard.

I don't think that Apple is trying to be a peripheral company and expects to sell a lot of mice to Windows users.

It's a standard mouse that uses standard signals and works on Windows because of that - without Apple having to do a single thing.

They didn't make a mouse intended for Windows users - it just works on Windows.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Since when was this a PC mouse? It's by Apple, and intended for Macs. I don't know a PC user in his right mind who would buy one of these anyways.

BTW, is there a way of having the ball be tracking, and the mouse movement be scrolling? That would be badass.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

LSD

Always worked for me.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    35 squids is a hell of a lot for a pretty mouse, though. Methinks we are paying for the packaging...