Sites No Longer "Remember" Me

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
All so the sudden, and seemingly without reason, websites that used to "remember" my last visit or automatically log me in no longer do so when I quit and relaunch Safari. For example, the New York Times site used to retain who I was, but now I have to sign in every time I visit. I've deleted all the New York Times cookies, but the problem persists. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nobody Special

All so the sudden, and seemingly without reason, websites that used to "remember" my last visit or automatically log me in no longer do so when I quit and relaunch Safari. For example, the New York Times site used to retain who I was, but now I have to sign in every time I visit. I've deleted all the New York Times cookies, but the problem persists. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Could you elaborate a bit?
    • What browser do you use?

• What version of Mac OS X?

• What are your cookie settings?

• etc ...

• Reply 2 of 9
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    Often when you log in to a website from another machine, you need to login again on your home machine. Yahoo mail sorta does this, and one particular forum I visit will drop me completely if I access it from another system. Is there any chance that this could be the case in your situation?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Could you elaborate a bit?What browser do you use?
    What version of Mac OS X?
    What are your cookie settings?
    etc ...

Oops. I guess that would help. I'm using Safari v2.0 (412.2), OS X 10.4.2 and my preferences are to accept cookies only from sites I navigate to.

Quote:

Originally posted by Wingnut

Often when you log in to a website from another machine, you need to login again on your home machine. Yahoo mail sorta does this, and one particular forum I visit will drop me completely if I access it from another system. Is there any chance that this could be the case in your situation?

I've only been logging in from my home machine.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nobody Special

Weird - same thing is happening to me...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Maybe your cookies expired? That, or your ISP changes your IP address on a regular basis. Some sites look for the same IP to match a login account, and if yours is different, it might make you login again for security reasons--it assumes you are trying to access the site from somewhere else. If it's only doing this on some sites and not all, I'd have to say it's not a software issue. Just a a guess. \
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Maybe your cookies expired? That, or your ISP changes your IP address on a regular basis. Some sites look for the same IP to match a login account, and if yours is different, it might make you login again for security reasons--it assumes you are trying to access the site from somewhere else. If it's only doing this on some sites and not all, I'd have to say it's not a software issue. Just a a guess. \

It's doing it to all sites, and I have a static IP address. Thanks for the ideas, though.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I wonder if "Reset Safari" would help? Any one ever try it?

• Reply 8 of 9
    freestatefreestate Posts: 123member
    Um turn off private browsing if it is on - if you sign up for anything with it on it will not remember it when you come back,
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

I wonder if "Reset Safari" would help? Any one ever try it?

Yup, just tried it. Didn't work.