Any musicians in the house?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I recently got back into playing guitar again after a year break.

Bought a new delay pedal a few days ago.

I forgot how much fun these things can be.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    I play a few things, but I mostly concentrate on my Epiphone Viola bass. I still don't have a real amplifier for it; it's plugged into the microphone jack on my stereo. I also use the stereo as speakers for my PC, so I usually play along with whatever music I have playing. I find bass to be the easiest instrument to do this with, so that's probably a factor in the frequency of its use. I don't have one, but I like echo pedals. It's fun to play with oneself.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    Here is schematic of my setup

The chorus and delay are going through the effects loop between the pre-and power amp.

It sounds better that way.

• Reply 3 of 35
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    yea, I've been doing music since I was 8 or something like that. Play bass mostly, but I don't really establish boundaries with what I will and won't play.

here's a picture of my new recording setup

• Reply 4 of 35
    Nice...

Here is my guitar setup.

I am getting into the studio thing now.

I want to get a Shure SM57 to mic the amp
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Not pictured was the Roland jp8080 synthesizer, an 88 Key electric piano, and a Shure SM58 vocal mic, and of course my bass.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Cripes, very nice. I have an Edirol PCR-30 for general purpose MIDI stuff and a Farfisa 4020 organ (in need of service), but I've always wanted an electric piano. A Pianet N, perhaps.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    SM58s are great for vocals.

The 57 is better for instruments IMHO.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Not pictured was the Roland jp8080 synthesizer, an 88 Key electric piano, and a Shure SM58 vocal mic, and of course my bass.

OMFG!! JP8080 ...... :droool:

i had to leave sydney suddenly and my (ex?) girlfriend's brother is keeping(?) my Roland Juno 60 for me

i used to have a powermac g5 1.6ghz will m-audio keyboard and m-audio monitoring speakers. then i realised i had to start producing some hit dance tracks within 3 months to pay for all the gear otherwise i would start running out of money

i think i made the jump from hobby to potential career a bit too agressively \

and the irony? i was able to find that 'perfect trance sound' sometime in february this year after 'looking' for it for 5+ years.... and it was on *drum roll* an iBook g4 933mhz with 256mb ram and Panther. (garageband samples, ableton live4, reason samples, an OLD midi keyboard and a very very dodgy midi-usb converter thingy)
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Yeah, the Jp8080 is sick, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I want to implement it into my setup, but I totally love what it can do.

oh yea...

• Reply 10 of 35
    Roland/Boss makes the best electronic music products IMHO

Those little Boss pedals are great.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    So, what styles are AppleInsiders into? I sort of like combining different styles (jazz, etc.) around a hip hop instrumental "core".
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Anything that tickles my ear.

I like all kinds of music.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    You tell me(this is only half of it)

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/Wrao/

Lately I've been doing a lot of experimentation with breakbeats and glitch type stuff. I'm currently in the process of trying to weave chaos breaks in with pop music(emo comes to mind).

But alongside that I also make lots of 'nice' music, relaxing, easy to listen to.

Alongside that I also make video game covers from time to time.

I also write solo bass music, and I've tried my hand at process music a little.

I'd like to try and make some rock music, but it's difficult because midi drums just don't do rock justice.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I'm actually in a band and just finished mixing the best thing I've ever recorded. You can check out my band the dopes here if you are interested. I do some home recording, but the band stuff has to go to a bigger studio. I just upgraded my sound card to an M-Audio firewire interface with 8 inputs or so and got the pro tools m-powered software. Pretty cool, but I haven't had much time to play with it yet. What I'm really looking to do is get a laptop based rig going so I can record rehearsals etc.....

edit: screwed up my own url
  • Reply 15 of 35
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

You tell me(this is only half of it)

I'd like to try and make some rock music, but it's difficult because midi drums just don't do rock justice.

Try it. Study what rock drummers do, analyze the structure of the rhythms and then program the parts into a midi recorder. Here's how I do it .. it's a little laborious getting the source elements, but once done, you can get very realistic and usable results.

For source elements, I sampled a small, properly tuned (DW) drumset...kick, snare, 2 rack toms, hihat, a crash and ride cymbal using a large diaphragm condenser microphone for the kick, snare and toms, and a pair of small diaphragm condenser mics for the overhead/cymbals samples (stereo works well for overheads). One of the keys to getting programmed (sampled) drums not to sound mechanical and "beat boxish" is to take numerous samples of each drum...as many as you can can...sample memory is the only consideration here. Ideally, record many (I use 128 ) different samples of each drum, (most important for snare and toms) from very soft to as loud as you can...hitting many different places on the drum head as well....and make sure you get lots of samples for the 'normal volume' hits. Structure a sample map so midi velocity data increments trigger corresponding louder samples for each drum. (There are many reasons to use multisamples for each drum... it helps to prevent listening fatigue...avoiding the 'drum machine' thing where you are always firing the same sample back each hit. Also, when programming fills and rolls, alternate between samples on each drum element, and make sure the decay on each sample doesn't do a "brickwall" cut off on firing the next hit..this envelope decay cut-off gives a fast snare or tom fill sound like a machine gun...very beat-box-like, a dead giveaway and sounds horrible! Fills are really difficult to program to make them sound authentic...you will have to experiment with that all important decay time on each fill element. It's definitely time consuming. It's really hard to try and describe all this stuff in a short paragraph, but thats the general idea, although theres lots more variables and parameters to mess with once the parts are entered into a sequencer program. If you 'quantize' the parts so they are "perfectly" in time...this takes away from the subtle timing variations that a human drummer makes....so try sliding the kick and snare parts relative to each other in time (just a tiny amount..a few ticks either way)...and listen to the way the 'feel' changes...from 'lazy' to 'on top of the beat'. Also, once recorded, one of the characteristics of a great drum sound is the sound of the room/hall....so judicious use of a suitable (high quality) digital reverb algorithm on the computer, or better still, high quality dedicated reverb hardware is essential. Also, pan the drums realistically also...kick and snare somewhere around the center, the toms center-left and center-right (not panned hard left and right, a drumset isn't 50 feet across!)..and the (stereo) cymbal samples as a stereo pair, hard left and right. Once you have the set programmed up and sounding sweet, you wont have to wait on drummers that dont show up on time, you won't have to pay union rates, and drum sample maps don't fight, get drunk or take huge quantities of dangerous drugs.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Try it. Study what rock drummers do, analyze the structure of the rhythms and then program the parts into a midi recorder. Here's how I do it .. it's a little laborious getting the source elements, but once done, you can get very realistic and usable results.

For source elements, I sampled a small, properly tuned (DW) drumset...kick, snare, 2 rack toms, hihat, a crash and ride cymbal using a large diaphragm condenser microphone for the kick, snare and toms, and a pair of small diaphragm condenser mics for the overhead/cymbals samples (stereo works well for overheads). One of the keys to getting programmed (sampled) drums not to sound mechanical and "beat boxish" is to take numerous samples of each drum...as many as you can can...sample memory is the only consideration here. Ideally, record many (I use 128 ) different samples of each drum, (most important for snare and toms) from very soft to as loud as you can...hitting many different places on the drum head as well....and make sure you get lots of samples for the 'normal volume' hits. Structure a sample map so midi velocity data increments trigger corresponding louder samples for each drum. (There are many reasons to use multisamples for each drum... it helps to prevent listening fatigue...avoiding the 'drum machine' thing where you are always firing the same sample back each hit. Also, when programming fills and rolls, alternate between samples on each drum element, and make sure the decay on each sample doesn't do a "brickwall" cut off on firing the next hit..this envelope decay cut-off gives a fast snare or tom fill sound like a machine gun...very beat-box-like, a dead giveaway and sounds horrible! Fills are really difficult to program to make them sound authentic...you will have to experiment with that all important decay time on each fill element. It's definitely time consuming. It's really hard to try and describe all this stuff in a short paragraph, but thats the general idea, although theres lots more variables and parameters to mess with once the parts are entered into a sequencer program. If you 'quantize' the parts so they are "perfectly" in time...this takes away from the subtle timing variations that a human drummer makes....so try sliding the kick and snare parts relative to each other in time (just a tiny amount..a few ticks either way)...and listen to the way the 'feel' changes...from 'lazy' to 'on top of the beat'. Also, once recorded, one of the characteristics of a great drum sound is the sound of the room/hall....so judicious use of a suitable (high quality) digital reverb algorithm on the computer, or better still, high quality dedicated reverb hardware is essential. Also, pan the drums realistically also...kick and snare somewhere around the center, the toms center-left and center-right (not panned hard left and right, a drumset isn't 50 feet across!)..and the (stereo) cymbal samples as a stereo pair, hard left and right. Once you have the set programmed up and sounding sweet, you wont have to wait on drummers that dont show up on time, you won't have to pay union rates, and drum sample maps don't fight, get drunk or take huge quantities of dangerous drugs.

You don't need to lecture me about experimenting with midi, it's what I do pretty much all day everyday. I am very competent with drumming on the keyboard and programming rhythms into a step based sequencer, I have even experimented at length with creating live-ish sounding drum kits that I have been pleased with(and that I have fooled people with). But ultimately, I just don't really care enough about rock music, which is the REAL reason I don't make it
  • Reply 17 of 35
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Quote:

While I use a drum machine and play around with loops etc. me thinks you must not have ever played with a great drummer. It's far easier and a hell of a lot more fun to just play with a kick ass drummer!
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Yeah nothing beats a real drummer...

Except for his mom when he doesn't clean her basement.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I play jazz. I don't really care for all the equipment, just give me a piano and there's already enough to do. Garageband is fun to mess with though.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

You don't need to lecture me about experimenting with midi, it's what I do pretty much all day everyday. I am very competent with drumming on the keyboard and programming rhythms into a step based sequencer, I have even experimented at length with creating live-ish sounding drum kits that I have been pleased with(and that I have fooled people with). But ultimately, I just don't really care enough about rock music, which is the REAL reason I don't make it

I cant read your mind...I was only trying to help. Sorry I spoke.