Any musicians in the house?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I play jazz. I don't really care for all the equipment, just give me a piano and there's already enough to do. Garageband is fun to mess with though.

BRussell, my man!

I have a Yamaha U3 upright and that is where I commune with my muse.

I like the compositional flexibility of electronic keyboards, but I find that after playing my piano for about an hour I am refreshed and energized, whereas playing even a pretty good weighed action keyboard, say a high end Korg midi controller, for more than 20 or 30 minutes, I have a headache.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

While I use a drum machine and play around with loops etc. me thinks you must not have ever played with a great drummer. It's far easier and a hell of a lot more fun to just play with a kick ass drummer!

I'm very familiar with *really* good drummers, having done studio sessions and live touring (keyboards and electronics) with bands all over the world from the age of 17 ...well before I got a real job . (Putting up with the predominantly male world of loud rock music with its accompanying raging testosterone thing was, well...interesting... for want of a better term..sheeesh, argh). And yes I agree wholeheartedly...you can't beat a kick-ass drummer who is a great time keeper, can play in a variety of meters (ie is capable of counting beyond four (!), and has all the rudiments down..etc etc...it is wonderful...and for rock music, beats any machine/midi/beatbox/programmed samples etc. hands down, every time.

But....when you write music at home in a situation like mine ...ie, in a condo with walls that are paper thin....not only is recording a real drum kit impossible because of the noise factor...drum kits are LOUD and the "room sound" would suck here too if I ran the risk of eviction and had a drummer here (I!)...and anyway, I can't afford to pay a great drummer to learn the parts and record the performance every time I write a piece that requires acoustic drums. There is nothing worse than having a drum performance that doesnt cut it...hence I use the method *very roughly* described above. Yes, it's a compromise, but on the other hand, a well programmed set of great sounding samples always beats a sucky, or anything less than a kick-ass 'real' performance, for my ears, anyway. And if you take the time and do it properly, you can fool 99.9% of the listening public.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Do you have any tunes you'd like to share sammi?

(and I'm sorry if I came off sounding snappy and/or harsh, not my intention at all)
  • Reply 24 of 35
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Quote:

But....when you write music at home in a situation like mine

Hey I hear yah and there's nothing wrong with your methodology, but what I usually figure is my time costs money as well. Where I'm at you can get an excellent drummer for thirty to forty bucks an hour and a studio with a decent drum room for really cheap. I recently got four basic tracks done with drummer for 400.00 bucks. I figure my time is worth fifty an hour so it seems like a bargain to me
  • Reply 25 of 35
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    trick lets hear some!
  • Reply 26 of 35
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ke^in

I recently got back into playing guitar again after a year break.

Bought a new delay pedal a few days ago.

I forgot how much fun these things can be.

I've been playing guitar since I was eleven -- a long long time ago.

I've taken few year long (or longer), breaks, but i always come back to music. Right now I'm in the middle of putting together a little home studio with the hope of getting a few projects done over the next winter. Of course, I've just been diagnosed with moderately sever carpal tunnel syndrome, so my plans might become delayed a bit.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

BRussell, my man!

I have a Yamaha U3 upright and that is where I commune with my muse.

I like the compositional flexibility of electronic keyboards, but I find that after playing my piano for about an hour I am refreshed and energized, whereas playing even a pretty good weighed action keyboard, say a high end Korg midi controller, for more than 20 or 30 minutes, I have a headache.

I knew I liked you for a reason. What kind of music do you play?
  • Reply 28 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I knew I liked you for a reason. What kind of music do you play?

Jazz, ragtime, boogie woogie type histrionics and free form improv, ranging from Keith Jarrett lyrical mode to scare-the-neighbors atonal wig-outs.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    I write my own stuff. Been a three bands over the years, mainly covers/orginals 50/50 mix.... played most weekends for about 2 years with my last band but started to turn into a chore more than fun so concentrating on studio stuff at the moment with a few acoustic gigs here and there.

Im a vocalist and play guitar (Maton Mastersound & Maton Acoustic), keys and bass (an old '69 Washburn - heavy as hell but sounds great)...

I program most of my drums with Battery & Digial Performer. I have a dual G5 with most of the NI soft synths, with a few old outboard synths. I use a MOTU 896 Firewire for all my audio recording, normally in 88Mhz/24bit. A heap of microphones and a few amps, but GuitarRig is quickly taking over my guitar recording duties! (As my wifey doesnt like the amps screaming all hours of the night when I cant quite get that lead down.

My stuff is very eclectic.... acoustic folk, ambient eletronica, heavy industrial rock, experimental jazz-electo-fusion-whatever!

Ive done a few E.P.s and are working on my Long Play at the moment...
  • Reply 30 of 35
    I've been playing around with some free software synthesizers that are no longer supported, and have found the Sound Manager's latency to make playing extremely difficult. Is there a free way to get low-latency sound out of OS 9?

Edit: Sorry, never mind. Switching off virtual memory seems to do the trick for my purposes.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    yes, but dont have any stuff online at the moment. im a little hesitant to put my stuff up online for fear of people stealing my work. and i dont like doing voice overs all over the track. no fancy equipment yet, just my computer and various audio apps. hopefully i can get a roland fantom x6 soon and find an mpc2000 for cheap.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

trick lets hear some!

Sorry it's taken me forever to reply to this. You can hear a rough mix of our newest recording here

We're also performing tomorrow so anyone in NYC who wants to hear real rock and roll come on down. You can get show details from the same link.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    BTW, if anyone digs the tune pm me and I'll get you the final mix.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

yes, but dont have any stuff online at the moment. im a little hesitant to put my stuff up online for fear of people stealing my work. and i dont like doing voice overs all over the track. no fancy equipment yet, just my computer and various audio apps. hopefully i can get a roland fantom x6 soon and find an mpc2000 for cheap.

I have an MPC 2000, I want to sell it to get an MPC 1000 you interested? I have a zip drive and a CD-rom drive for it. PM me if you're interested.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I've been playing bass for about 25 years. Got into computers because of work, (Photoshop, Quark, etc.) but have been slowly adapting to music on the Mac over the last 2 years or so. I tinker with Garage Band when I'm in the mood to noodle, and it's a fantastic creative tool.

More seriously though, my band recently finished a demo-- this was all recorded LIVE to a 24 track Alesis hard-disk recorder in our garage, and mixed by me in Logic Pro 6.

My g*d, I love Space Designer.

http://www.dukesofsimpleton.com/Audio.html

Dig around here:

http://www.chrisvreeland.com/Music.html

for a few other things I've got on line.