"Cloned" drive won't boot up!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My son just cloned his G3 drive to another drive using SuperDuper. Now, trying to boot from the new drive, he receives the error message "You are unable to log in to the user account "elon" at this time."

Elon is the name of the new drive. Nothing more. He can't get beyond this. What can we do.

Unfortunately, his dvd player went out, so we don't have the option of using the DVD to boot to at this time.

Any suggestions? Your help deeply appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Virtual Warrior

My son just cloned his G3 drive to another drive using SuperDuper. Now, trying to boot from the new drive, he receives the error message "You are unable to log in to the user account "elon" at this time."

Elon is the name of the new drive. Nothing more. He can't get beyond this. What can we do.

Unfortunately, his dvd player went out, so we don't have the option of using the DVD to boot to at this time.

Any suggestions? Your help deeply appreciated!

Use Carbon Copy Cloner instead, was it OS9 or OSX that you cloned? Make sure the Hard drive is set to master and not slave. You could also try booting into safe mode and reseting the password. Also try zapping the PRAM (hold down CMD-ALT-P-R during boot up until the mac dongs twice)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Carbon Copy Cloner isn't compatible with Tiger yet and it won't let me get in safe mode to reset the password.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Is the second drive internal or external? If external, is it FireWire or USB? Some external drives (all USB and even some FireWire drives) cannot boot Macs.

Has your son checked the Web support forum at Shirt Pocket Software (makers of Super Duper)? If their forum doesn't answer your question, they respond to e-mails and are generally very helpful.

Shirt Pocket's support is exceptional (unlike - and this is just my personal opinion and observation - the support forum for Carbon Copy Cloner which seems to be based on the idea that users should be punished before being helped reluctantly).
  • Reply 4 of 8
    The second drive is internal.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macs 4 Life

Carbon Copy Cloner isn't compatible with Tiger yet and it won't let me get in safe mode to reset the password.

I have Carbon Copy Cloner working on Tiger and producing a fully bootable firewire external drive.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    You downloaded the dmg from the site? Or purchased it?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Moving to ->Genius Bar. Please post the details - OS version, Mac model, where both drives are, why can't he boot the other drive to examine the cloned one, etc.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macs 4 Life

You downloaded the dmg from the site? Or purchased it?

I got the dmg from the site as far as I remember. I don't actually have my PowerBook with me to check as it's getting it's hard drive replaced. But I was booting fine a week prior to taking it to the service center.

On CCC there is a tick box to make the clone bootable, is there something like this on Super Duper? If so has this been ticked? (I haven't used Super Duper, so I have no idea if it's similar in that respect).

Edit: Looked on Bombich Software's Website for CCC clearly mentions Tiger compatibilty with version 2.3, so I'd guess that's what I have.