PowerBook GPS System

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Two Thoughts:

1) Do you think Apple will ever include a GPS system in their PowerBook Line?

2) Since they currently do not offer GPS, does anyone have a recommendation for a good GPS add-on for the PowerBook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    1. No.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I did some research into this a year ago, and found some good alternatives, but I've forgotten them now. sorry.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Actually, there are a number of options. I think this one is cool. A Bluetooth GPS unit.......connect wirelessly.

http://www.deluoelectronics.com/cust...&cat=17&page=1

JB
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I've found the following products and was curious if anyone had any experience with them?

1) GPS USA - National Geographic

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/gps.cfm

2) Route 66 USA 2004

http://www.66.com/route66/products.p...c=0&prodid=716

Thanks for your input!
  • Reply 5 of 19
    mercury7mercury7 Posts: 203member
    How bout a gps widget lol ...it says "you are here"
  • Reply 6 of 19
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7

How bout a gps widget lol ...it says "you are here"

Sure, no problem... assuming a connected GPS communication and it can report the longitude and latitude info, one could use the Google Maps API to display the map and location.

Should be dead simple to implement.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Actually, GPS in laptops, especially high end laptops like the PB could be used to track the laptop in case of theft. That could be really useful.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    ngmapplengmapple Posts: 117member
    I could see GPS possitioning and cellular connectivity being added to the iPod. By the way there's been rumors of Apple including GPRS/EDGE wireless technologies in it's next PowerBook right? They're hiring a bunch of Sony Viao engineers that recently built a Viao Laptop with built in EDGE. For those not familiar with EDGE, it's real wireless internet over the cellular network. Not Wi-Fi. There's a huge amount of hype around Wi-Fi and the mobility it offers but it's more hype than substance as a standard Wi-Fi base station still can only cover one's home. Where as EDGE is a more go anywhere solution.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mercury7mercury7 Posts: 203member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Actually, GPS in laptops, especially high end laptops like the PB could be used to track the laptop in case of theft. That could be really useful.

it could be used to track you too....be careful for what you wish for
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7

it could be used to track you too....be careful for what you wish for

Yeah so people can track you, that's nothing new. That's something we'll just have to get used to and accept these days because it's unfortunately already easy to do.

The issue should turn to preventing people from abusing those capibilities. Just because people "can" track you does not mean they should be following you around or stealing your identity, etc...
  • Reply 11 of 19
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I think cellular should stay as an expansion card. What if you want to use EV-DO instead of EDGE? What about when UMTS comes out?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Agreed. Who wants to pay extra for a feature they cannot use or are not interested in?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ngmapple

Yeah so people can track you, that's nothing new. That's something we'll just have to get used to and accept these days because it's unfortunately already easy to do.

The issue should turn to preventing people from abusing those capibilities. Just because people "can" track you does not mean they should be following you around or stealing your identity, etc...

Agreed...but in my cell phone for example, it can be turned on for anyone to track, or it can be set so that only 911 can track it. However, it would be relatively simple (I assume) for Apple to restrict tracking to laptop owners only.

I would definitely like to see this as a feature, especially since I'll soon be a college student, and a feature such as this would at least add an extra layer of security.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

I would definitely like to see this as a feature, especially since I'll soon be a college student, and a feature such as this would at least add an extra layer of security.

False sense of security, Having a GPS enabled laptop, will not make it harder to steal it. It could make it easier to find after it's been stolen.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    jaffijaffi Posts: 14member
    I use a Thrane & Thrane Inmarsat receiver. It does display my lat and long and I can use that at their mapping service to find out where I'm at and how to get directions. The truth is that though I travel thousands of miles each year, I usually already know where I am and where I'm going. I used the feature once, just to see what it does. That's it.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

False sense of security, Having a GPS enabled laptop, will not make it harder to steal it. It could make it easier to find after it's been stolen.

even better since a laptop is so easy to steal.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Since Apple is probebly going to use Intel wireless chips, that meens the onlything coming down the pipe anytime soon would be WiMax and 802.11n support (once it gets ratified).

Its not cost effective to make dedicated silicon for a non-standard networking system on a mass produced and widely used product like a laptop.

Intel however is working on a chip that could alter antena frequency and reprogram itself on the fly. This could allow it to work on any network in theiory.

Beyond that I have a socket bluetooth GPS. I like it a lot. However I dont think there is any mac software I would trust for detailed GPS based navigation. I use Destinator and its far better then Tom and Route 66.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by cwestpha

Since Apple is probebly going to use Intel wireless chips, that meens the onlything coming down the pipe anytime soon would be WiMax and 802.11n support (once it gets ratified).

Its not cost effective to make dedicated silicon for a non-standard networking system on a mass produced and widely used product like a laptop.

Intel however is working on a chip that could alter antena frequency and reprogram itself on the fly. This could allow it to work on any network in theiory.

I gave a lecture on WiMax for a grad class a few months back. Right now WiMax is more Intel hype for investors than it is actual technology nearing the market. There are both political and technological issues preventing WiMax from reaching the market. While this is true of most new technologies, the issues are extremely severe here. For instance there spectrum needed for WiMax is not really clear for use. Additionally cellular phone providers will buy out companies developing WiMax (as if they're going to use/help the technology) only to shut them down. Unless the cell providers offer WiMax themselves (they don't like change) WiMax can threaten their bussiness models. Thus they'll try and stall WiMax at all costs. When you hear about Sprint or any of the others investing in WiMax, their investing in it to control and block it.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I use to use a DeLorme GpsTripmate on a Wallstreet. It was a good unit but I only used it about 20 times in 2 years. When I upgraded to a TI 500 which had no serial connectors I stopped using it. Since then I have used an iWay 500c in a car and the eTrex Legend for outdoor use. Having the big display of a laptop would be great but it is not practical for most car or outdoor use. Also I don't know of any software for a laptop that also provides voice which is something that I now think of a requirement for GPS's. Now if they incorporated it into an iPod with an oversized color screen 8)

reg