Video Download service !!! close but not cigar

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A British start-up is trying to do for video downloads what the iTunes music store did for audio.

The British Internet Broadcasting Company (BiBC) is launching a video download service in the UK called Boxoffice365.com.

Consumers can buy and download VHS-quality live comedy and music from the site.

But there are no feature films on offer as the big movie studios are concerned about piracy.

"Film producers have been a bit reticent," admitted BiBC's founder, Paul Hague.

"But this is about proving and showing there is a market. I am fairly confident once that they've seen this, they'll come on board," he told the BBC News website.

He hopes to have some films for download by the end of the year, although he expects only a few movies to be made available "as a kind of trial thing".

Analysts said the lack of movies could prove a major issue for Boxoffice365.

"Content is absolutely key," said Jupiter Research analyst Mark Mulligan. "It doesn't seem to have that much secured at the moment."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4737675.stm

http://www.boxoffice365.com/

Dog ugly, WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER, and not much content. C-mon apple put us out of our misery, show the world how it is done. Please

j.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Kinda makes me laugh that the movie industry is concerned about piracy when we ll have video recorders,dvd recorders,tivio's and computers with plenty of software to copy DVD's.

Surely they should be jumping at the chance as they would have more control over limiting digital content better than they currently can?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

Kinda makes me laugh that the movie industry is concerned about piracy when we ll have video recorders,dvd recorders,tivio's and computers with plenty of software to copy DVD's.

Surely they should be jumping at the chance as they would have more control over limiting digital content better than they currently can?

heh. let's see, i've watched

alias season 04

battlestar galactica season 01, 3 episodes of season 02

quite a bit of stargate atlantis...

quite a few of big brother uk recently (don't ask)

and the movie and tv industry is still worried about developing an online service because of piracy???
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Sorry but you can't be a mac user and watch big brother

That's just wrong
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

Sorry but you can't be a mac user and watch big brother

That's just wrong

heh