Apple introduces two-button mouse [MERGED]

Comments

• Reply 181 of 239
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dirk gently

there must be a BT version in the works... I can't imagine that with today's rechargeable battery technology you couldn't get fairly long lasting charge with the extra current draw from this mouse. I love the current apple BT mouse and I'm not going to buy a USB one now (well unless they say definitely this mighty mouse will only be USB forever).

how about a hybrid USB/BT... you plug it in usb 2 to charge and use it as a wired mouse, then unplug to use wireless. ahh?

Use the dongle for the ipod and you've got a winner!
  • Reply 182 of 239
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

The button is what is called a "physical Layer". There is no feedback to the computer while it happens. The computer doesn't know the disk was ejected until after it occurs. There no light flashing to tell you anything. If the disk is idle, and you press eject, as soon as the head is moved out of the way, the disk is ejected.

Some might remember that back in the Good Old Days, Apple's floppies had a motor that ejected the disk for us. I still have a few lying around. They dropped those to cut costs.

If they were to do what you ask, they would have to get drives made specially for them, with the signaling built-in. That will never happen.

i would propose a hybrid of current soft-eject combined with a hard-eject button that would signal the OS to force-unmount a drive, with an appropriate warning message.

(edit: if the OS was like wtf? what drive? due to some error, it would be honest and warn you accordingly, kind of like, look mate, i don't know if there was a drive in there or whatever, but you hit the eject key, so there, i opened the disc tray/ejected the disc. live with it.)

current pc/mac techniques w.r.t to disc management/ejection are on two extremes. a happy medium would be sweet,

just my $0.02

• Reply 183 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

So let's recap the last year for everyone:

Apple is a household name with its WIDELY popular iPod/iTunes combo.

Apple released a sub-$500 Mac.

Apple announced they are switching to Intel.

Apple released a multi-button mouse.

That's in the LAST YEAR, folks! Is it me or is all this even abnormal for Apple?

Correction: This is in the LAST 8 MONTHS

And, they are actually finally putting ENOUGH RAM in all shipping new machines, meaning all new machines will run Tiger pretty smooth right of the bat without needing to upgrade the memory.

To add to my increasingly disturbing analogy, it's like learning your girlfriend has been turning tricks on the side for the past 5 years, recently turned bisexual, and is it just me or have her boobs been getting bigger these past 8 months...

For political correctness, it's like learning your boyfriend has been a gigolo for the past 5 years, recently turned bisexual, and his body is like starting to get really buffed and ripped in the past 8 months.

In both of the above situations, you are starting to worry if you can hold on to your new/sexy/improved boyfriend/girlfriend, once a chic but geeky bespectacled shy person, now an generally attractive guy/girl that a lot of people are checking out when you walk down the street with him/her.

Sigh, apple, you used to be *my* dirty little secret, you say to yourself...

• Reply 184 of 239
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19980713

Look at the date

Been there, done that! I once had a colleague who took her mouse and waived it about in a Blackboard class and asked why the cursor wasn't moving!

What did happen to those mice/pointers with gyroscopes built in?

... Oh yeat, this thread... Well, Apple seems to have decided to unhitch its unhappy wagon from IBM, but the PowerMac G5 threads are all full of depressing comments about nothing striking over the next year or more.

At least I'm not looking back to the G4^3 any longer. I have the iMac G4 to mourn. When you already own a flat panel 23" screen, why by an iMac G5, but can you justify using it with a Mac mini?\
  • Reply 185 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Correction: This is in the LAST 8 MONTHS

And, they are actually finally putting ENOUGH RAM in all shipping new machines, meaning all new machines will run Tiger pretty smooth right of the bat without needing to upgrade the memory.

To add to my increasingly disturbing analogy, it's like learning your girlfriend has been turning tricks on the side for the past 5 years, recently turned bisexual, and is it just me or have her boobs been getting bigger these past 8 months...

For political correctness, it's like learning your boyfriend has been a gigolo for the past 5 years, recently turned bisexual, and his body is like starting to get really buffed and ripped in the past 8 months.

In both of the above situations, you are starting to worry if you can hold on to your new/sexy/improved boyfriend/girlfriend, once a chic but geeky bespectacled shy person, now an generally attractive guy/girl that a lot of people are checking out when you walk down the street with him/her.

Sigh, apple, you used to be *my* dirty little secret, you say to yourself...

So now we REALLY know what you do down there.
  • Reply 186 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

So now we REALLY know what you do down there.

• Reply 187 of 239
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'd like to use two of these new mice. I'd use one normally and another as a chording foot pedal.
  • Reply 188 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I'd like to use two of these new mice. I'd use one normally and another as a chording foot pedal.

You could do that, but you would have to take your shoes and socks off.
  • Reply 189 of 239
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    I want a Mighty Track ball please.
  • Reply 190 of 239
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Off subject, I totally agree that mac cdroms should have eject buttons... keyboard key is retarded! You are obviously going to reach down to get the media when you eject it, why not just have a button down there to get it?

Because today you can press the Eject button on the keyboard, reach down for the media when it's ejected, go back up, press the Eject button to close the tray instead of reaching down, press a button, stay in awkward position until the disc is ejected, get the disc, get yourself in an even more awkward position to press the Eject button underneath the tray to close it, get back up.

• Reply 191 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

The coolest thing is that you can set the extra buttons to do just about anything. -K

I would love to get one of these, but have some questions about programming the buttons. Can they be programmed for things like "shift-click" or "shift-right-click"?

Also, can they be programmed on an app-specific basis, or just globally?

Right now I am using the MS Intellimouse Explorer, and I use both of these programming features.
  • Reply 192 of 239
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CrazyWingman

The first was the window-movement-by-squeezing I detailed in my first post of this thread. Basically, just using the squeeze buttons on the side to allow me to pick up and move a window (or maybe other objects I'm pointing to) without having to aim at the title bar. It seems like a reasonable idea, given the suggestion of many interface professionals that designers make buttons easy to click by puting them along borders, or by making them a bit larger (what's larger than a window?). Someone suggested that this may be AppleScript-able. I wish I were familiar enough with it to know whether that were true - maybe someone who does know can try.

This is brilliant. It's like you're actually grabbing the window and moving it- how can we do this? 'cause it would seriously kick ass!
  • Reply 193 of 239
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    WOW, seems dissapointing. I like Apple's pro mouse, one button is quite good, and ergonmically much better, so it'll be interesting to see how Apple has modified the mouse to overcome the absolutely horrendouse ergonomics of scroll wheels.

The side buttons (grab) function looks promising, as does the overall size. I imagine (hope) that it is shaped so as to promote good posture -- index finger scrolling is normally bad bad bad for you, and I'm not sure if the Apple does anything to mitigate that. A large heavy mouse and very light scroll action might actually improve things by relaxing one's need to squeeze down on the device while the index finger is scroling about. Try it on a conventional mouse -- feel the tension that it causes in on the upper hand and in the wrist.

I'm gonna want to try one, but one mouse button is still great!
  • Reply 194 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

.....I'm gonna want to try one, but one mouse button is still great!

somebody's had too much kool-aid
  • Reply 195 of 239
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Who pushes the eject button to put the tray back in? Just give the tray a little nudge, yo.
  • Reply 196 of 239
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Derrick 61

I would love to get one of these, but have some questions about programming the buttons. Can they be programmed for things like "shift-click" or "shift-right-click"?

Also, can they be programmed on an app-specific basis, or just globally?

Right now I am using the MS Intellimouse Explorer, and I use both of these programming features.

You can always use USB Overdrive to do those things with any USB mouse, so the answer is yes.

http://www.usboverdrive.com
  • Reply 197 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

... index finger scrolling is normally bad bad bad for you ...

Hmmm...interesting. I actually use my middle finger to scroll, finding it much more comfortable, and finding it much more useful to still have my index finger ready to left-click. Are there diagrams suggesting Apple would have the user do otherwise? I haven't seen any. You might want to try using your middle finger on your own scroller.
  • Reply 198 of 239
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Everyone knows my previous post was a joke, yes?
  • Reply 199 of 239
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Everyone knows my previous post was a joke, yes?

I thought it was good.
  • Reply 200 of 239
    I have heard a report on MacRumors that after installing the Mighty Mouse software on older (not current generation) 'Books that the trackpad becomes scrolling enabled like they are now in the iBook and PowerBook. Can any of you who own both the Mighty Mouse and an older 'Book check your trackpad preferences to confirm this. It would be so cool if true.