New Foo Fighters Cd encryption

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just read a story Link Here about the copy protection on the new foo fighters cd. I just picked it up recently & I had no problems ripping it to my iTunes. I didn't even realize that there was encryption on it until I read the story. I haven't had a chance to upload to my shuffle though but since I had no problems ripping it to a vbr mp3s around 200 to 215 kbps.

Is this encryption affecting pc users only or is it because I'm using iTunes 2.03 with Mac OS 9?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    way ahead of you

i think it's pc only.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Dave Matthews Band's latest album "Stand Up" has a similar problem. If you go to DMB's Web site, they have a whole explanation on how to rip the CD into iTunes on a PC. They blame the complicated process on Apple not playing nice with...whoever. Funny, though, that the instructions for ripping on a Mac are basically, "Load the CD on your Mac and rip it into iTunes like you would any other CD."
  • Reply 3 of 6
    The article that I read about this had nothing to do with PCs. It had to do with Apple machines and the iPod.

Copyright Crackdown

Update

Here is another link to a story at iPodNN that talks about the situation...

New copy-protected CDs are iPod incompatible
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    this is just a way to bolster sony digital music site, you bet??/

it doesn't mater the band is stupid to allow this for too long. MS and sony are hooking up to dis apple
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

Update

Here is another link to a story at iPodNN that talks about the situation...

New copy-protected CDs are iPod incompatible

Quote:

The protection scheme prevents users from importing music onto iPods because Apple's Fairplay DRM software is incompatible with Windows.

Hence, my post above.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I thought all these schemes rely on AutoPlay being turned on in Windows. They need to install software that will prevent Windows (or Win-iTunes) from recognizing the CD as a regular CD. Which is why it still acts like a regular CD on a Mac.

This is all so idiotic. They aren't preventing casual "piracy" - which isn't piracy at all, just fair-use ripping - because they'll happily supply you with the work-around. The only conceivable effect of this is to piss off customers who don't know how to bypass it, and inspire contempt in customers who do. The only bright side is that their willingness to publicize the work-around shows a recognition that the public doesn't consent to being locked out of their own music. But then why do it in the first place? Idiotic and pointless.