What happened to Asteroid?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It seemed like a while ago, it was a sure-fire thing that Asteroid was going to be released. Obviously it hasn't. If I remember correctly, isn't that also about the time that all the big lawsuits sprung up over finding the sources leaking the information?

Maybe that was part of what kept it from being released. I remember reading on one of the rumor sites that Apple supposably has "3 new non-mac" products to be released soon. Might Mouse maybe one of those? Perhaps Asteroid?

All I know is that I could really use something like that. Firewire audio i/o boxes aren't exactly cheap, and even though the selection is getting bigger (and now decent USB2, but who wants that) still something small and basic from Apple that could be daisy chained (and virtually made into one device and used together now with Tiger) could potentially be a cheaper and better solution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xlsupreme

It seemed like a while ago, it was a sure-fire thing that Asteroid was going to be released. Obviously it hasn't. If I remember correctly, isn't that also about the time that all the big lawsuits sprung up over finding the sources leaking the information?

Maybe that was part of what kept it from being released. I remember reading on one of the rumor sites that Apple supposably has "3 new non-mac" products to be released soon. Might Mouse maybe one of those? Perhaps Asteroid?

All I know is that I could really use something like that. Firewire audio i/o boxes aren't exactly cheap, and even though the selection is getting bigger (and now decent USB2, but who wants that) still something small and basic from Apple that could be daisy chained (and virtually made into one device and used together now with Tiger) could potentially be a cheaper and better solution.

It looks like M-Audio is taking care of the developments of audio products for GarageBand and Apple: they have just released or announced lots:

- iControl: Total Control for GarageBand USD 179.95

- JamLab Personal Guitar System USD 79.00

- Fast Track Pro 4 x 4 Mobile USB Audio/MIDI Interface with Preamps USD 299.95 (same features as "asteroid" IMO)

M-Audio
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I still have a feeling that Asteriod was not Garageband related. It could easily be Apple's long rumored set top box. It would explain the extreme lengths gone to find the leaks. The description of audio outs could also have been mistaken video ports. The code name would make more sense too. Apple going after the living room, big impact.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

I still have a feeling that Asteriod was not Garageband related. It could easily be Apple's long rumored set top box. It would explain the extreme lengths gone to find the leaks. The description of audio outs could also have been mistaken video ports. The code name would make more sense too. Apple going after the living room, big impact.

MacUser UK reported that asteroid was the garageband controller that M-audio have now released. Apple could not make it cheap enough, so assisted M-audio
  • Reply 4 of 8
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

MacUser UK reported that asteroid was the garageband controller that M-audio have now released. Apple could not make it cheap enough, so assisted M-audio

Got a link on that?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Got a link on that?

no web link -- it was in the printed (shock horror) issue. i'll see if i can find it and scan it in.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

I too believe that Asteroid was a set top box thingy that featured video, A true digital hub at last.

The switch to Intel made bringing this product out with PPC chips, whether G4 or G5, problematic, with the whole concept needing re-engineering to switch to Intel.

I hold out hope that the first Intel powered Apple product will be a media hub, a music, images, and video server for the living room.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

I too believe that Asteroid was a set top box thingy that featured video, A true digital hub at last.

The switch to Intel made bringing this product out with PPC chips, whether G4 or G5, problematic, with the whole concept needing re-engineering to switch to Intel.

I hold out hope that the first Intel powered Apple product will be a media hub, a music, images, and video server for the living room.

For that sort of use, I'd rather just see a simple, inexpensive device like AirPort Express add video streaming capabilities. The last thing I need is another component stacked under my TV. I really think that the concept of the "digital hub" works best when your Mac is at the center for creating/importing, editing, and organizing your content.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    http://createdigitalmusic.com/index....=414&Itemid=44

Note the comment at the bottom "The rumor mill will love this: GarageBand automatically recognizes the iControl in version 2.01, which means Apple worked with M-Audio on this device. So, if you've been following the Asteroid rumor, this should give you new fodder. That's not nearly as interesting to me, though, as the uncanny similarity to a mockup posted earlier."

I think it's pretty safe to say iControl is Asteroid.