Steve Jobs to keynote Apple Expo Paris

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer chief executive and cofounder Steve Jobs is scheduled to present the opening keynote address at this year's Apple Expo, AppleInsider has learned.

The event will take place in Paris, France from Sept. 20 to 24 and represents the largest exhibition of its kind in Europe. Last year's expo drew some 70,000 Mac fans, who traveled from all parts of the world to witnessed the launch of Apple's all-in-one iMac G5 desktop.

But for Jobs, this year's event will mark the first time in over two years that he will present publicly in Europe. Jobs was forced to miss last year's Apple Expo after being diagnosed and treated for an acute form of pancreatic cancer known as an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor.

According to sources close to Apple, Jobs' staff have already arranged for his trip overseas. Judging by the preparations being made for the Paris expo, sources further stated that Jobs is expected to make at least one major announcement during his presentation.

In a research note released to clients this week, analysts for PiperJaffray, a firm which closely monitors Apple every move, said the Paris show would likely deliver an iPod mini with color screen or larger capacity iPod shuffle music player.

At Apple Expo 2003, Jobs introduced updates to Apple's PowerBook line and also unveiled the company's first Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse. Meanwhile, last year's show gave way to the iMac G5, which was introduced by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller in light of Jobs' absence.

Earlier this week, Jobs flew to Japan where he unveiled a Japanese version of the company's iTunes Music Store to an enthusiastic crowd at Tokyo's International Forum.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    So whats it going to be? Intel iMac and Mac mini??? Or intel/G5 Pbs?
  • Reply 2 of 31
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

So whats it going to be? Intel iMac and Mac mini??? Or intel/G5 Pbs?

No Mactel machines until next year.

A larger Shuffle or color iPod mini is NO news IMO.

I want the next great thing.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    The 970MP Xstation - I know it'll be obsolete in two years, but think of the ass-kicking you can hand out in the meantime.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Please let there be Powerbook updates ... I need to buy a laptop!
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

No Mactel machines until next year.

A larger Shuffle or color iPod mini is NO news IMO.

I want the next great thing.

well didn't they say the first one would be out by June 2006. It doesnt mean absolutely not... and just cause the annouce it doesnt mean that they have to realese it right away.

Maybe a iTablet. Make something new and big.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    kddpopkddpop Posts: 12member
    i would be very suprised if jobs went to paris and just "unveiled" color screens for the mini and a bigger shuffle.

there was barely a peep when they spread color to the whole main ipod line!

im thinkin somethin bigger. not huge. but big.

g5 pb? oh please please.

new form factor for pb...ok maybe that's too big.

we'll see.

grace and peace,

kdd
  • Reply 7 of 31
    It's going to be the ' Ithink! '

An apple badge you stick to your forehead and it interfaces with your brain, people will say "Ok there's the computer, But where's the screen?" And i shall reply " It's in my mind! "

Either that or it's bound to be the companion to mightymouse the 'Mighty Keyboard' Every word in the dictionary will be on a roller which just happens to be touch sensitive to make it easier to find what you want.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Not that we're speculating too early but I'm thinking that a small device in the £100 or less range will be announced. Think the Airport Express or iSight style device. Something revolutionary (obviuosly). Something white and/or aluminium. Something that all of us here will instantly order. Something that will shut us up about Intel Macs for at least a week!

Possibly that Asteroid rumour from earlier this year?
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Probably just a PR stunt...
  • Reply 10 of 31
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

well didn't they say the first one would be out by June 2006. It doesnt mean absolutely not... and just cause the annouce it doesnt mean that they have to realese it right away.

September 2005 to June 2006 is 9 months. That's way too much of a discrepancy for an "early" release -- after all, how did they come up with the June date? They used the information available to them. Even announcing a product that won't be released until 9 months later is pretty ridiculous.

I'm thinking we'll see the next generation/version of the iPod. Maybe the iPod video. What other opportunity will they have for a big iPod announcement before the holidays, other than a special media event?

Based on the number of "Apple will never..." statements that have been proved wrong in the last year, it could even be a tablet of sorts. They took long enough to design the right mouse. Maybe they've been taking their time designing the right handheld Mac.

Whatever is released, it should be a fun show.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    i have a gut feeling that it will be g5 powerbook...but only in 17 inch version. i still don't think g5, even with the new processor, would be cool enough to have it in 12 inch one.

also i noticed that powerbook 15 and 17 inch ones have been inconsistent in wait time recently...it goes back and forth between "same business day" to "2-4 days"
  • Reply 12 of 31
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

... Maybe the iPod video. What other opportunity will they have for a big iPod announcement before the holidays, other than a special media event?

Based on the number of "Apple will never..." statements that have been proved wrong in the last year, it could even be a tablet of sorts.

Yes, the videopod/minitablet that was rumored for WWDC. Wow, I sure hope you're right! That would be just what everyone-doesn't-think-they-need-but-Steve-will-convince-them-that-they-do.

Just like the original iPod. ;-)
  • Reply 13 of 31
    iikeiike Posts: 6member
    This will be the video iPod. I would hope for a intel mac mini.

There is no time period for intel macs.

Just that they will be released by next June. My money is on Mac World San Fran I made this predition on Jun 7.

I made the prediction for video iPod about two weeks ago.

I would like to see the intel MacMini. That would be perfect.

I doubt that g5 powerbook would happen it is to much before the intel Mac. I suspect that the powerbook or at least iBook is slated for Jan.

Blogging with Ike
  • Reply 14 of 31
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Whatever it is, it must be a PowerPC based right?

Afterall Jobs did mention the great PowerPC products still to come...and we have yet to see any (please, don't even try to suggest the new iBooks was it).

Could be the last round of PowerPC PowerMac desktops and Powerbooks...I hope.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Who here actually thinks that thers going to be a G5 in a powerbook? .Spend all that effort, then to put an intel in there that most probably could'nt be as good.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Yeah, I don't think there'll be a G5 PowerBook, either. Not with Intels around the corner. If they do announce a G5 PowerBook, it might mean Intel PowerBooks (as opposed to Intel Minis or iBooks) are 1 or 2 years away.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Yeh, that makes sense, like the powermacs.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Afterall Jobs did mention the great PowerPC products still to come...and we have yet to see any (please, don't even try to suggest the new iBooks was it).

In Steve Jobs' mind, those count.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Glamingo

Who here actually thinks that thers going to be a G5 in a powerbook? .Spend all that effort, then to put an intel in there that most probably could'nt be as good.

dude, have you seen the backorder just on the dual-2.7 g5 towers?!?! methinks they need to be able to fill that demand first before they can even think of achieving that wonderful impossibility of cramming a G5 in a powerbook without an extended radiator hanging below it.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    IBM has announced bumps in the G5 and I think they will be released in Paris - especially in the PM range, which needs some sales boost right now.

Then there will probably be "one more thing" and it's probably something we can't guess, but will buy (if under $130) or really desire (if it's expensive).

Let the guessing begin - you know Steve J wouldn't fly to Paris if there was nothing to release.