GeForce4 MX benchmarks

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    The color is named after the fruit. The English derives from Old French, but originally it comes from the Arabic naranj. Cognates are found in the Tamil, Hindi, and Persian.

The name of the fruit was NARANJ in Sanskrit. This language was spoken in ancient India. Indians traded with Arabs, so the word passed into Arabic as NARANJAH. The Spaniards were ruled by north African Arabs who passed the fruit and word into Spanish as NARANJA (pronounced as NARANHA).

This came into English where the fruit was a NARANJ. Words ending in J are not common in English so the spelling quickly changed to a NARANGE.

The initial N moved to the a because of mis-hearing to give an ARANGE (this is called metanalysis).

Over time, the initial A became an O to give an ORANGE.

Since the fruit was (probably) native to India, the origin is in the languages there, but the exact origin has long been lost to the ages.

The House of Orange (referring to the Dutch royal family or William and Mary of England) and the use of the term in reference to Irish politics is of a different origin. It derives from the town of Orange on the Rhone river in France and is etymologically unrelated to the color or the fruit.

Although the word "Orange in english doubles up nicely as both the fruit AND color, other languages are not nearly so lucky:

Arabic :Naranshi

Assami :Kamala-tenga

Bengali :Kamala

Burmese :Thanbaya, Shonsi

Chinese :Tian cheng, Guang gan

Danish :Appelsin

Dutch :Appelsien, Sinaasappel

Esperanto : o rango

Estonian :Apelsinipuu

Finnish :Appelsiini

French : o range (douce)

German : o range, Apfelsine

Gujrati :Naringi, Santara

Hebrew :Tapuz

Hindi :Narangi

Hungarian :Narancs

Icelandic :AppelsÃ*na, Glóaldin

Indonesian :Jeruk (manis)

Italian :Arancia

Japanese : o renji

Kannada :Kittile, Naranga

Malay :Jeruk

Malayalam :Narakam

Marathi :Santra

Norwegian :Appelsin

Oriya :Naranga

Portuguese :Laranja

Punjabi :Sangtra

Romanian : p ortocalã

Russian :Apjelsin

Sanskrit :Nagaaruka, Naranga

Singhalese : D odan

Spanish :Naranja, Naranja china

Swedish :Apelsin

Tamil :Narangam

Telugu :Naranji

Thai :Som

Urdu :Narangi

Vietnamese :Cam

Either way, in the end, its all apples and oranges

[edit] frickin' smilies

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: the cool gut ]</p>
  • Reply 82 of 86
    "Exactly...so why should someone have to pay $3000 for a decent gaming experience on a Mac? An $800 PC will give you better gaming than any Mac...it's only on a Mac where gaming performance comes at such a high price."

You obviously didn't understand the post. I'm saying that when most people shell out $3000 for a top end Dual GHz G4 system, they are NOT INVESTING THAT MONEY TO PLAY GAMES. Gosh, some people just don't get it. There are a lot of people out there who run businesses, or use Macs as critical tools in their work, and a $3000 investment in the G4 system equates to the advantages which I pointed out earlier, but they also don't have to keep paying for maintenence support out the wazoo like for when their cheap ass PC game machine breaks down, therfore a higher opportunity cost for the Mac, since in the end the person/business will be more productive.

Now for those who do work, but want to play games too, the G4 is STILL DECENT. Games are not it's forté, but it can still play them very well if the user wants to. (and this doesnt have to be the high end model)

I love games, but I don't use a computer to play them. I think it's pointless. A computer is a tool. I have a GameCube that plays all the games I want with kickass graphics, cost me $199, and plus I get to play them on my huge-ass big screen TV, which beats the hell out of some 17 inch monitor, or even a Cinema Display for all I care.
  • Reply 83 of 86
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>I got the dual 1.0ghz, would I be better served getting the GeForce 4 when it comes out? Or possibly the 8500? I mainly do photoshop stuff.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is this a serious question?

If so, for 2D work (which includes, among others, photo editing), they won't make any noticeable difference. The only improvements that graphics cards have been getting for the last couple of years are in the 3D and partially in the DVD acceleration areas. Having vertex and pixel shaders en masse and tons of texturing pipelines has zero effect on anything 2D.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 84 of 86
    Okay... quickie question: I'm buying a new G4. I do a lot of serious photoshop work, but I also play games on my mac - Quake mostly. Do I go for the GeForce 4 MX or do I go for the GeForce 3?
  • Reply 85 of 86
    idogcowidogcow Posts: 111member
    [quote]Originally posted by the cool gut:

<strong>The color is named after the fruit. The English derives from Old French, but originally it comes from the Arabic naranj. Cognates are found in the Tamil, Hindi, and Persian.

The name of the fruit was NARANJ in Sanskrit. This language was spoken in ancient India. Indians traded with Arabs, so the word passed into Arabic as NARANJAH. The Spaniards were ruled by north African Arabs who passed the fruit and word into Spanish as NARANJA (pronounced as NARANHA).

This came into English where the fruit was a NARANJ. Words ending in J are not common in English so the spelling quickly changed to a NARANGE.

The initial N moved to the a because of mis-hearing to give an ARANGE (this is called metanalysis).

Over time, the initial A became an O to give an ORANGE.

Since the fruit was (probably) native to India, the origin is in the languages there, but the exact origin has long been lost to the ages.

The House of Orange (referring to the Dutch royal family or William and Mary of England) and the use of the term in reference to Irish politics is of a different origin. It derives from the town of Orange on the Rhone river in France and is etymologically unrelated to the color or the fruit.

Although the word "Orange in english doubles up nicely as both the fruit AND color, other languages are not nearly so lucky:

Arabic :Naranshi

Assami :Kamala-tenga

Bengali :Kamala

Burmese :Thanbaya, Shonsi

Chinese :Tian cheng, Guang gan

Danish :Appelsin

Dutch :Appelsien, Sinaasappel

Esperanto : o rango

Estonian :Apelsinipuu

Finnish :Appelsiini

French : o range (douce)

German : o range, Apfelsine

Gujrati :Naringi, Santara

Hebrew :Tapuz

Hindi :Narangi

Hungarian :Narancs

Icelandic :AppelsÃ*na, Glóaldin

Indonesian :Jeruk (manis)

Italian :Arancia

Japanese : o renji

Kannada :Kittile, Naranga

Malay :Jeruk

Malayalam :Narakam

Marathi :Santra

Norwegian :Appelsin

Oriya :Naranga

Portuguese :Laranja

Punjabi :Sangtra

Romanian : p ortocalã

Russian :Apjelsin

Sanskrit :Nagaaruka, Naranga

Singhalese : D odan

Spanish :Naranja, Naranja china

Swedish :Apelsin

Tamil :Narangam

Telugu :Naranji

Urdu :Narangi

Vietnamese :Cam

Either way, in the end, its all apples and oranges

[edit] frickin' smilies

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: the cool gut ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you realize what you just did!?!?!??! :eek:

You ruined my signature!
  • Reply 86 of 86
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Tarbash - forget it.

You're trying to convince kids who want to play games to realize that you want a Mac to do something else.

They don't get into DV, Audio, Design or any of that other stuff.

They just want to play games and think Apple should give them a cheap gaming machine. Why should Apple bother making an $800 gaming machine when such a thing already exists? What problem does that solve? Isn't there enough/too much competition in that field already? Companies are dying trying to make profits off of $800 PCs. Well, except Dell, but dell isn't a technology company - it's a mail order company.

Apple: Let them have their $800 gaming PCs - there's not enough money in it for you! Stay Away!