Glad to see Apple lower their PM prices

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
In the past I was complaining about their PM's lack of performance for that outrageous price. Dual 800 costed 3500 US.

Now with dual Ghz and GeForce 4 and dual display support (even still uses the same old mobo) but sells at below 3000 US sounds a lot more reasonable......

But still not for me....I will wait for G5

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    not enough.

the BTO options suck. why can't I get a base dual 1Ghz? why can't I go below 80GBs or 512MBs ram on the dual 1Ghz.

why can't I add a superdrive to the 800?

for the specs the prices should be more like 1499, 1999, 2799
  • Reply 2 of 13
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

for the specs the prices should be more like 1499, 1999, 2799</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's the price I am expecting....but this is Apple

But at least they do the price cut....better than nothing....
  • Reply 3 of 13
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member

<strong>

for the specs the prices should be more like 1499, 1999, 2799</strong><hr></blockquote>

The BTO specs do suck and I can only think they are trying to keep really high margins. Those prices sound good but to be fair they'd have to lower the iMac prices to $889, $1,000 and $1,399 which they don't seem able to do now. Don't you think?
  • Reply 4 of 13

<strong>not enough.

the BTO options suck. why can't I get a base dual 1Ghz? why can't I go below 80GBs or 512MBs ram on the dual 1Ghz.

why can't I add a superdrive to the 800?

go to the edu store, select the DP 1GHz, subtract the modem, and your price is $2792.

by the way, go start a bitching thread somewhere else, and eat a tuna salad sandwich.

[edit by Amorph: The language is getting out of hand around here. Be civil.]

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>The BTO specs do suck and I can only think they are trying to keep really high margins. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree with you an Applenut. The BTO options are really pitiful. I mean, it's good they finally did *something* to improve the line. Anyone know what real-world effect the 2MB L3 cache will have over a system with otherwise identical specs? Also the new Nvidia card standard is a nice touch (albeit only useful to a handful of applications).

But getting back to the BTO options, who really needs an 80GB hard drive unless you have an absolutely gigantic MP3 / Photo collections or do digital video (in which case you'd most likely use the SCSI setup or your own RAID setup anyway)? And the RAM options are limited too. Why in the hell would anyone want to buy more than 256MB of RAM from Apple, getting the rest from Crucial or some place where you're at least likely to save $10 or $15 per module?

[edit - forgot the Zip 250 is compatible with older 100MB catridges]

My recollection is they did this weak BTO crap a couple revs back and everyone got p-o'd and Apple complied a few weeks later with more flexible options, but who knows. This may be the stop-gap everyone hopes for, meaning Appe doesn't want to waste a lot of time / manpower making these things ultra-customizable when they don't expect to sell bunches of them in the first place.

I would expect these things to sell well the first few weeks and then tape off dramatically. People with the original generation G4's or later generation G3's might be tempted, but anyone who's bought one in the last 18-24 months probably are much less tempted.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 13
    since G5 is not ready, i think this is a good, short step....we didn't just get a speed bump like many thought....we got a price drop, a speed bump and a new GeForce4....as i said, a good short step...hopefully G5 is finished in a couple to a few months and everyone gets what they want...g

except Scott H who seems to like nothing apple puts out, but still comes to this board everyday...strange...g
  • Reply 7 of 13
    [quote] But getting back to the BTO options, who really needs an 80GB hard drive unless you have an absolutely gigantic MP3 / Photo collections or do digital video (in which case you'd most likely use the SCSI setup or your own RAID setup anyway)? <hr></blockquote>

I have a G4 cube, and it came with a 20gig disk. I noticed that after just a few minutes of importing some footage from my Sony DV Cam .... Wow! Raw digital video is big! If you are going to use iMovie or FCP, even if you are just playing around like me, its really nice to be able to leave a lot of footage lying around, and still have space for downloads, your Mp3 collection to sync with your iPod, etc etc ...

At any rate, I ended up with an 80 gig drive in my cube, and i love it. Faster, and bigger, and quieter! Also, could you imagine what people would be saying if apple actually started using smaller drives in the power macs ...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Even we need 80 GIG or bigger hard drive it's still better to downgrade the HD as much as possible and then go out to get a 100GB HD from other place and still cheaper than buying from Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [quote]Originally posted by stepson:

<strong>If you are going to use iMovie or FCP, even if you are just playing around like me, its really nice to be able to leave a lot of footage lying around, and still have space for downloads, your Mp3 collection to sync with your iPod, etc etc ... At any rate, I ended up with an 80 gig drive in my cube, and i love it. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well I don't disagree with the notion that Apple ought to put a decent-sized drive in as standard, but what gets me is, there are still lots of excellent 20-60 GB drives out there being offered - especially by IBM - and at cheap prices. Why shouldn't Apple at least give us the option to go down a couple notches and save $75 - $150 on our overall price if we don't need an 80GB drive?

I'm using a 20 GB 60GXP drive and in addition to being a little snappier than bigger drives of the same type, it's nowhere near filled, even with X installed and a bunch of other monster apps like Office X, Painter 7 and Illustrator 10.

Not saying Apple shouldn't do 80 as standard - it's good to get the extra bang for the buck as most PC's are still using 60GB as standard - but that they should offer at least two smaller options, given how many larger ones they offer. That's all....
  • Reply 10 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I was surprised when I saw the price drop but it's a good start. I also agree that the BTO options really suck. They should at least let you have a Superdrive on the low end model if you want.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I'd also like to see BTO option for a dual 800 so I could get a dual system for around 1999
  • Reply 12 of 13
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Yeh, nice price drop. Now the Base G4 800 tower is only twice as much as a comparable Dell. Before it was twice as much plus $100. The prices for the towers are absolutely ridiculous. And I actually had hope that Apple was seeing the light since their laptop prices are not bad at all and the new iMacs for all the power and features are priced fine. The base G4 should cost $999-$1099. Not a penny more. Can anyone say gouge?......................
  • Reply 13 of 13
    A price drop, plus a speed bump, and people are still more pissed than if there had been no change. All right then.

Sure, I'd love to see a $600 quad-G5, and I'm not going to buy one of these new machines, but I'm pleased to see that Moto's not stuck again, and it's encouraging to see Apple lower the 3-tiered prices from 1699/2499/3499 by $100/200/500. When you add that to the "buy with LCD" deal, it's not bad. A "best" Powermac plus Cinema Display is $5000 and not long ago it would have been $6500.

If I didn't already have a 450-DP G4, I'd be considering one of these new ones. But Apple's next bump will probably be better, and then I'll be aboard.